    Tool then he Re-installed System Works Standard Edition 2008.

    I hope I have included all the needed info.

    Thanks Phil

    Salt-N-Pepper, Apr 13, 2008

  2. Salt-N-Pepper

    old man Guest

    Since GoBack v4 was designed for win98 and on, I wouldnt have thought winxp
    was in their minds at the time

    old man, Apr 13, 2008

  3. Salt-N-Pepper

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:23:46 -0230, Salt-N-Pepper wrote:

    > I am using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) and just
    > had Norton System Works 2008 installed.

    I haven't read the rest of your post, but all I have to say is if you now
    have any problems you only have yourself to blame.

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Apr 13, 2008
  4. Salt-N-Pepper

    ded Guest

    >I am using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) and just had
    >Norton System Works 2008 installed. I upgraded from 2007. This version will
    >not allow me to install Norton Go Back because a Raid controller has been
    >detected. In the previous version (2007) Norton Go Back was not installed
    >either because is said so in the menu. I was using the 2004 Norton Go Back.
    >Can I install the older version (2004) of Go Back without installing the
    >whole 2004 program and incorporate it into the 2008 version or use it as a
    >stand alone software without causing any problems on my system.
    >
    > By the way when I called Norton Tech Support in India they tell me no it
    > can't be done and try to sell me something new. But I don't think they
    > understood what I was asking them. I tried to explain to them I had Go
    > Back 2004 running with System works 2007.
    > The old software Go Back and systemworks) was un-installed by remote
    > assistance from Norton Tech as 2 different Items using the Norton Removel
    > Tool then he Re-installed System Works Standard Edition 2008.
    >
    > I hope I have included all the needed info.
    >
    > Thanks Phil

    Thats a convoluted post you made. I have to ask a question, what
    did you think NSW2008 offered over and above NSW2007, that you
    "upgraded" to it?
    2004NortonGoBack was indeed good, and there is no reason you
    cannot install and run it independently of your "upgraded" NSW2008.
    Indian call centers are a broth of underpaid operators who read from
    a script, one call will be from an ISP complainee, the next from a
    disgruntled Roxio/Nero/AOL/Earthlink etc etc, they just type the question
    into their console and hope an answer appears, which is exactly what
    you can do yourself with better results by visiting the Symantec (Norton)
    site, clicking the Help/Support/FAQ/Troubleshooter links, reading the
    tutorials etc.
    And just to confirm, yes you can install/use Go Back 2004, it is an
    independent application in it's own right.

    ded, Apr 13, 2008
  5. May I ask why you say what you say?
    I have been using systemworks for years with xp and had no problems. Is
    there something I should know. LOL

    Salt-N-Pepper, Apr 14, 2008
  6. Well apparently I could not get just the virous definitions for the 2007
    version I have. I had to upgrade. According to India that is.

    Salt-N-Pepper, Apr 14, 2008
  7. Salt-N-Pepper

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:45:24 -0230, Salt-N-Pepper wrote:

    > May I ask why you say what you say?
    > I have been using systemworks for years with xp and had no problems. Is
    > there something I should know. LOL
    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:23:46 -0230, Salt-N-Pepper wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) and
    >>> just had Norton System Works 2008 installed.

    >> I haven't read the rest of your post, but all I have to say is if you
    >> now have any problems you only have yourself to blame.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008 http://www.liverpool08.com

    As soon as I read 'Norton' I just knew some poor bugger's PC had been
    invaded by useless resource-hogging crap and my heart went out to you. I
    couldn't read further through the fog of my sympathetic tears. :)

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2008
  8. convoluted !!!!! yes a bit of an overkill I guess. I have learned to br very
    specific in asking a question not in person. .........You ask a specific
    question You get a Specific answer. No room to mis-interpret. LOL
    ............Sorry

    Can you explain what is a raid controller.....whe I google it it says it is
    A RAID controller is a hardware device responsible for managing physical
    drives in a system and presenting them to the computer as logical units.

    And india says it is a specific type of hard drive setup that can not be
    modified.

    Salt-N-Pepper, Apr 14, 2008
  9. I understand you completly. It is a resourse hog. Let me wipe your tears.
    LOL

    Salt-N-Pepper, Apr 14, 2008
  10. Salt-N-Pepper

    L.E. Funt Guest

    what a dunbass.

    L.E. Funt, Apr 14, 2008
  11. Salt-N-Pepper

    ded Guest

    > convoluted !!!!! yes a bit of an overkill I guess. I have learned to br
    > very specific in asking a question not in person. .........You ask a
    > specific question You get a Specific answer. No room to mis-interpret. LOL
    > ...........Sorry
    >
    > Can you explain what is a raid controller.....whe I google it it says it
    > is A RAID controller is a hardware device responsible for managing
    > physical drives in a system and presenting them to the computer as logical
    > units.
    >
    > And india says it is a specific type of hard drive setup that can not be
    > modified.

    HDD capacity and reliability has increased rapidly in recent years, but
    a RAID array in simple terms was/is a method of having several hard
    discs (of a specific type) configured so as to be "seen" as one volume.
    There are pro's and con's to such an array, Here is the Wikipedia entry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
    And a couple of other definitions:
    http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci214332,00.html
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html
    Whatever one's hardware configuration - RAID/sata/IDE/partitions/internal/
    external whatever, it is always wise to have an independent back-up.

    In what way was the Indian call center saying it was an important or
    relevent issue that it cannot be modified in context to your issues?

    ded, Apr 14, 2008
  12. Salt-N-Pepper

    ded Guest

    > Well apparently I could not get just the virous definitions for the 2007
    > version I have. I had to upgrade. According to India that is.

    Various or virus definitions? Whatever, the 2007 version is supported
    for many years to come, are you saying that when you clicked the update
    button in NSW2007 it produced a scary onscreen alert that you couldn't
    update, and when you called the Indian call center they insisted you must
    upgrade?
    You need to grasp how somethings function, this applies to much software
    but with virus definitions from the big names in the industry, you buy the
    application and the first 12 months subscription to updates is included,
    then when the 12 month update service expires you then renew the 12
    month subscription, which is usually a nominal fee, but you don't upgrade
    you just re-subscribe!
    Stop calling Indian call centers.

    ded, Apr 14, 2008
  13. When I clicked on the renew buttom I was given 2 options 1. Renew system
    works and 2. renew virous definitions. when I unchecked renew systemworks.
    and hit continue it came to a page you must renew systemworks as a bundle.
    It was priced at 56.00 can so I called to question it. It was explained to
    me in indcan language but to make a long story short it was 29.95 to go the
    way I went. So I chose it of course because of the price and I could install
    it on up to 3 pc's. Hind sight is 20/20 now can't go back.

    Thanks
    Phil

    Salt-N-Pepper, Apr 14, 2008
  14. I did not understand it. So I am best off not trying to explain it.

    Salt-N-Pepper, Apr 14, 2008
  15. Salt-N-Pepper

    old man Guest

    Some utilities cannot access a HD that is connected via a sata controller

    old man, Apr 14, 2008
  16. Salt-N-Pepper

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:54:21 -0700, "nobody >" <> wrote:

    >Salt-N-Pepper wrote:
    >> May I ask why you say what you say?
    >> I have been using systemworks for years with xp and had no problems. Is
    >> there something I should know. LOL

    >Do you have any idea of how much faster your machine would run if that
    >crapware/bloatware wasn't hogging resources? Installing a Norton suite
    >is the fastest way known to turn a 4 ghz machine into a 486SX25.
    >
    >I used to use and recommend Norton SW, but that was 5 years ago. Since
    >then, Symantec and MacAfee have been in a race to see who can clog up a
    >perfectly good computer faster.

    Symantec will clog it up; McAfee will stop one from booting. Your choice. ;)

    --
    "The most precious possession that ever comes to a man
    in this world is a woman's heart." -- Josiah G.

    Mara, Apr 17, 2008