    So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
    with the firewall. How do I get around this.

    Thanks

    Jathingle, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Jathingle

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
    > my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
    > enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
    > almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
    > "whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
    > So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
    > with the firewall. How do I get around this.

    What you are trying to do is "Unethical" and against School Policy.
    Rather than subvert policy or continue down an unethical path, why don't
    you wait until you get home to view the site.

    Your actions, since WebSense will log the site you are trying to visit,
    and your account information, will just get you in trouble at school.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Jathingle

    Jathingle Guest

    got a point there

    Jathingle, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Jathingle

    donnie Guest

    On 6 Dec 2004 15:39:43 -0800, "Jathingle" <>
    wrote:

    >Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
    >my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
    >enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
    >almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
    >"whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
    >So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
    >with the firewall. How do I get around this.
    >
    >Thanks

    #############################
    I remember someone here saying that their daughter told them that if
    she switched the keyboard into spanish and back again, it disabled the
    filter. I don't remember the name of the filter and it's probably
    been patched by now, but you might want to try it just for fun.
    donnie.

    donnie, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Jathingle

    nemo outis Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Jathingle" <> wrote:
    >Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
    >my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
    >enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
    >almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
    >"whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
    >So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
    >with the firewall. How do I get around this.
    >
    >Thanks

    I'm not going to give you a load of crap about penetrating
    firewalls being "unethical" but I am going to warn you that any
    action may have consequences - possibly very serious
    consequences! - and you should weigh both the risks and the
    consequences **very carefully** before deciding whether to
    proceed - or NOT! (no shame in not picking fights you won't win).
    Hackers should remember the advice given to fighter pilots in WW
    II: there are bold pilots, and there are old pilots, but there
    are no old, bold pilots!

    It is obvious, moreover, that you are not especially
    knowledgeable or experienced. This ups the risk very
    considerably. Again, extreme caution is advised. Don't let
    curiosity and eagerness to experiment get the better of your
    judgment and result in you getting expelled, suspended, charged
    with mischief, etc., etc.

    Now, stepping off the soapbox, let me explain that almost every
    firewall can be penetrated. The question is what protocols and
    what ports are permitted. There is also the question of what
    access you have to the box you're using inside the school (can
    you install programs, drivers, services, etc.?) and what
    resources you have outside the school (e.g. a box at home which
    you can set up to be your proxy server, or must you rely on
    public servers?).

    For instance, one excellent combination is httport on the school
    box and httphost on a home box whch has "always on" internet
    access (e.g., cable or DSL). This wraps the real packets
    (encrypted) in a dummy http wrapper (complete with stub data)
    which goes out on port 80 through the school firewall to your
    home machine and from there to the internet. Will beat most
    firewalls including even those with (not-very-sophisticated)
    stateful packet inspection.

    But learn from the pros (and you may satisfy your curiosity
    enough that you won't be tempted to break school rules). Here's
    a tip: do NOT experiment with this at school until you have got
    it successfully working outside school, preferably on a setup
    that closely mimics the school one. IOW: Do your hacking
    homework and learn your method inside out before proceeding!

    For instance, on a friend's home machine get him to install a
    firewall (preferably the same as the school one, although that
    may be beyond you) and then you (for instance) install httport on
    his machine and httphost on your home machine and see if you can
    "tunnel through" your friend's firewall to surf the net through
    the proxy on your home machine. IOW simulate the whole
    enterprise outside school and learn exactly what to do in a
    "safe"situation. Also try to see what your hack looks like from
    the other side - what traces and signs you give out. Know your
    enemy!

    I'll close by getting back on the soapbox:

    Remember: Caution, patience, judgment and learning *before* doing
    are the hallmarks of a good hacker. Rash actions will get your
    ass kicked hard! And never let your ego (desire to brag, to get
    away with something, etc.) get the better of your judgment.

    I man I know is a very wealthy, very successful criminal
    (although he has never been convicted of so much as jaywalking).
    His rigorous self-discipline would put a Tibetan monk to shame.
    As he has told me: The cops can **** up 99 times out of 100 and
    still get you. But a criminal who succeeds even 99 times out of
    100 is a complete failure. You must be good enough to succeed
    100 out of 100 to be a criminal. There ain't no shortcuts to
    that level of performance!

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Jathingle

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <AX9td.429880$Pl.297904@pd7tw1no>, nemo (nemo outis) wrote:

    I did some homework. You can download a 30-day trial version of
    websense. Download it, install it on a home machine, or better,
    a home network (even if you have to install a server OS on one
    of them) and learn it inside out.

    Too much trouble? Then you don't have what it takes to be a real
    hacker.

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Dec 7, 2004
  7. Jathingle

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    Go to your system administrator and get permission for your account to view
    that site. They can do that.

    "Jathingle" <> wrote in message
    > Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
    > my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
    > enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
    > almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
    > "whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
    > So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
    > with the firewall. How do I get around this.
    >
    > Thanks

    ---

    Rodney Kelp, Dec 7, 2004
  8. Jathingle

    cacophony Guest

    INSERT ANGSTY PROFESSIONAL SOUNDING DISCLAIMER HERE.

    The problem is that you're using transparent proxies, rather than anonymous
    proxies.

    cacophony, Dec 8, 2004
  9. Jathingle

    cnhan Guest

    maybe your school's administrator use websense or deep inspection to fliter
    the web url. and web content.even though you use proxy. because the content
    and url between you and proxy are transparence.

    i think you can use ssl proxy .it will encrypt the encrypt communication
    from proxy to your pc

    "Jathingle" <>
    ??????:...

    cnhan, Dec 8, 2004
  10. Jathingle

    winged Guest

    cnhan wrote:
    > maybe your school's administrator use websense or deep inspection to fliter
    > the web url. and web content.even though you use proxy. because the content
    > and url between you and proxy are transparence.
    >
    > i think you can use ssl proxy .it will encrypt the encrypt communication
    > from proxy to your pc
    >

    > "Jathingle" <>
    > ??????:...
    >
    >>Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
    >>my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
    >>enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
    >>almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
    >>"whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
    >>So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
    >>with the firewall. How do I get around this.
    >>
    >>Thanks

    Might still want to be careful. If there are sniffing the session, SSL
    is not secure and the communication can be broken relatively easy.
    There are several methods to accomplish this if you are in the middle of
    the communication stream.

    winged, Dec 10, 2004