    accuracy? AC power supply would not be available.

    And if none of this works, how would you go about it?

    Walt

    spectator, Feb 25, 2006

  2. I would use a couple of battery powered slaves flashes. You will need a
    couple of tripods for them and adapters that fit between the tripod and the
    slave. The on-camera flash will set them off. It all folds up into a small
    kit. They make tiny tripods for this with Velcro so you can fasten them to
    poles or whatever...but for out side that might not be the best solution.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Feb 25, 2006

  3. spectator

    Dave Guest

    Walt,

    Maybe one of Canon's external flash units slaved off your camera along with
    a couple of large reflectors?

    Just a thought.
    Dave

    Dave, Feb 25, 2006
  4. spectator

    Bob Williams Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > I would use a couple of battery powered slaves flashes. You will need a
    > couple of tripods for them and adapters that fit between the tripod and the
    > slave. The on-camera flash will set them off. It all folds up into a small
    > kit. They make tiny tripods for this with Velcro so you can fasten them to
    > poles or whatever...but for out side that might not be the best solution.

    In addition to Gene's excellent suggestions, you may want to consider
    some more powerful AC slave flash units. Adorama has some very nice,
    inexpensive ones. To get AC to your site you can connect a 12 Volt
    Automobile Battery to an inexpensive 100 watt INVERTER. An inverter will
    convert 12VDC to 110 VAC suitable for the flash units. Since the flash
    is used only intermittently, the Battery/Inverter power supply should
    last a loooong time.

    MIXING sunlite and flash is OK, but adding Halogen lights to the mix may
    present problems with obtaining a correct White Balance.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Feb 25, 2006
  5. spectator

    arehrlich Guest

    You might want to try a large silver reflector and use the available
    light to its best advantage. Use your on-camera flash for front fill.
    Great for portraits.

    Alan

    arehrlich, Feb 26, 2006
  6. spectator

    spectator Guest

    Thanks, Guys,

    I think the answer is to utilize the G5's on-camera flash with a couple
    of slaves and a reflector for best results. I have a couple of old,
    inexpensive flashes that still work well, plus two clip-on sensors that
    turn them into slaves. Never really tried these slaves with the Canon
    because the pre-flash rendered them useless. Was wondering...if the
    camera is set to manual mode and the built-in flash is set for
    fill-flash, will that defeat the pre-flash and synch up the slaves? Or
    is there another setting that will defeat the pre-flash. Since I'll be
    working off a tripod and basically shooting on a "set", auto focus will
    be unnecessary.

    Appreciate all your thoughful contributions.
    Walt

    spectator, Feb 26, 2006