    through" the TS client requests without changing the Adtran? Any setup
    recommendations? Resources for configuration examples?

    I appreciate any guidance.

    Jim, Aug 18, 2007

  2. In article <>, <Jim> wrote:
    >I am new at setting up the PIX and have a real basic question that I
    >hope someone will be kind enough to help with.

    >I have a client that currently has a T1 with an Adtran router that is
    >forwarding global ip's to natted ip TS clients on the inside. Can the
    >PIX 515E be put in-between the Adtran and the LAN and setup to "pass
    >through" the TS client requests without changing the Adtran? Any setup
    >recommendations? Resources for configuration examples?

    If you have PIX 7.x installed, you can use the PIX 515E as a
    "layer 2 transparent firewall", which would satisfy the literal
    requirements to not change the Adtran.

    In your client's situation, would it be practical to add a single
    route statement to the Adtran, or does the Adtran listen for
    RIP or OSPF information from the inside? If so, then layer 3 possibilities
    open up. (There might be a way without changing the routing, but
    I haven't quite woken up yet to think of it.)

    Walter Roberson, Aug 18, 2007

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I think I found the answer to my own question...transparent mode.

    Jim, Aug 18, 2007
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:53:33 GMT, (Walter
    Roberson) wrote:

    >In article <>, <Jim> wrote:
    >>I am new at setting up the PIX and have a real basic question that I
    >>hope someone will be kind enough to help with.

    >>I have a client that currently has a T1 with an Adtran router that is
    >>forwarding global ip's to natted ip TS clients on the inside. Can the
    >>PIX 515E be put in-between the Adtran and the LAN and setup to "pass
    >>through" the TS client requests without changing the Adtran? Any setup
    >>recommendations? Resources for configuration examples?

    >If you have PIX 7.x installed, you can use the PIX 515E as a
    >"layer 2 transparent firewall", which would satisfy the literal
    >requirements to not change the Adtran.
    >
    >In your client's situation, would it be practical to add a single
    >route statement to the Adtran, or does the Adtran listen for
    >RIP or OSPF information from the inside? If so, then layer 3 possibilities
    >open up. (There might be a way without changing the routing, but
    >I haven't quite woken up yet to think of it.)

    Hi Walter

    Thanks for the quick response. I was just posting a message to say I
    discovered the transparent option and I saw your reply recommending
    the same thing. I guess I also needed to wake-up a bit before I
    bothered anyone. I am still learning and probably always will be.
    My client is a "hard-headed" young (nothing against young) "IT" guy
    for a small company and is against changing anything on the Adtran. I
    agree that the single route would probably be a better approach but I
    really don't want to give this guy any reason to b**ch.

    Again, thanks for the quick response and I appreciate all your
    contributions to the group. When I see your name as the author, I
    always read carefully as I value what you have to say.

    p.s. i'm not brown-nosing, i just appreciate good, trustworthy
    knowledge.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 18, 2007