Question about Photo printers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
    question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so strict,
    but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But if
    you
    know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer, but
    cite your sources, thanks...

    Question
    Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
    photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of years
    without fade. My family purchased a cute little photo printer to go with our
    Sony digital camera that is 5-6MP MP I believe. The pictures look just as
    good
    as a 35mm, but I wonder if they will last 5-10 years. On the other hand I can
    go to a photo lab and insert a Memory Stick, pro, SD, mini SD, XD, San Disk,
    CD/DVD, CF, or a floppy disk into one of the machines an receive goodprints
    within the hour. Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that we
    have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs. Because they both look the same,
    there has to be a huge price difference between the home machine and the
    professional machines.

    I've attempted to persuade my family not to completely dump their 35mm cameras
    and the idea of biringing their camera into a photo lab to have the pictures
    printed, but they do not listen. I personally own a Vivitar camera that uses
    SD cards and the 1 hour lab produces good results. But their photo machine
    only takes memory stick, bummer!!

    Thanks,

    John

    John, Dec 23, 2004

  2. John

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Since when is a college degree a guarantee of intelligence, and integrity?
    Some of the most corrupt people in the world have college degrees! Some
    without even a high school diploma, could put them to shame. You crack me
    up!

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Dec 23, 2004

  3. "Bill Crocker" <> wrote in message
    > Since when is a college degree a guarantee of intelligence, and integrity?
    > Some of the most corrupt people in the world have college degrees! Some
    > without even a high school diploma, could put them to shame. You crack me
    > up!
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    right...and like you need a degree to answer such an elementary question. He
    was so insulting that I won't answer it...let him Google!

    Gene Palmiter, Dec 23, 2004
  4. John

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:

    > Since when is a college degree a guarantee of intelligence, and integrity?
    > Some of the most corrupt people in the world have college degrees! Some
    > without even a high school diploma, could put them to shame. You crack me
    > up!
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    Bill, I don't think any of us should answer his
    question, whether we meet his qualifications or not.

    He clearly doesn't hold a doctorate in English, nor
    a degree in journalism. He didn't even cite any sources
    for requiring an answer.

    Therefore, he's not qualified to ask.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 23, 2004
  5. John

    Guest

    Kibo informs me that John <> stated that:

    >Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
    >question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so strict,
    >but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But if
    >you
    >know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer, but
    >cite your sources, thanks...

    *snort* On Usenet? - Good luck!

    >Question
    >Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
    >photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of years
    >without fade. My family purchased a cute little photo printer to go with our
    >Sony digital camera that is 5-6MP MP I believe. The pictures look just as
    >good
    >as a 35mm, but I wonder if they will last 5-10 years.

    The short answer is 'no'. The dye+paper used in most inkjets has a short
    lifespan, even when protected from light & the atmosphere. If you want
    your prints to last more than a year or two, you need to print via
    conventional photo paper (ie; a pro lab), or at least use a high end
    pigment-based inkjet.

    > On the other hand I can
    >go to a photo lab and insert a Memory Stick, pro, SD, mini SD, XD, San Disk,
    >CD/DVD, CF, or a floppy disk into one of the machines an receive goodprints
    >within the hour. Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that we
    >have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs. Because they both look the same,
    >there has to be a huge price difference between the home machine and the
    >professional machines.

    Most likely, yes.
    I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that most photo kiosks use
    dye-sub printers, rather than conventional (wet process) printing on
    true photographic paper, like 1 hour labs. Both of these technologies
    are different from home inkjets, BTW.

    >I've attempted to persuade my family not to completely dump their 35mm cameras
    >and the idea of biringing their camera into a photo lab to have the pictures
    >printed, but they do not listen. I personally own a Vivitar camera that uses
    >SD cards and the 1 hour lab produces good results. But their photo machine
    >only takes memory stick, bummer!!

    That's pretty shortsighted of them. My local service station recently
    aquired a photo kiosk, & it takes CDROMs as well as a wide variety of
    memory cards. I find it extremely convenient (& cheap!) for traditional
    sized photos to give to relatives & friends. I was also very pleasantly
    surprised to find that the output quality is excellent for the price, &
    the machine doesn't screw around with the colour or tonal balance of my
    images.

    , Dec 23, 2004
  6. John

    adm Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to
    > this
    > question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so
    > strict,
    > but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But
    > if
    > you
    > know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer,
    > but
    > cite your sources, thanks...
    >
    > Question
    > Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
    > photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of
    > years
    > without fade. My family purchased a cute little photo printer to go with
    > our
    > Sony digital camera that is 5-6MP MP I believe. The pictures look just as
    > good
    > as a 35mm, but I wonder if they will last 5-10 years. On the other hand I
    > can
    > go to a photo lab and insert a Memory Stick, pro, SD, mini SD, XD, San
    > Disk,
    > CD/DVD, CF, or a floppy disk into one of the machines an receive
    > goodprints
    > within the hour. Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that
    > we
    > have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs. Because they both look the
    > same,
    > there has to be a huge price difference between the home machine and the
    > professional machines.
    >
    > I've attempted to persuade my family not to completely dump their 35mm
    > cameras
    > and the idea of biringing their camera into a photo lab to have the
    > pictures
    > printed, but they do not listen. I personally own a Vivitar camera that
    > uses
    > SD cards and the 1 hour lab produces good results. But their photo
    > machine
    > only takes memory stick, bummer!!

    Well - I'm not "qualified" to answer your question, however my sources
    include the management team of the world's third largest producer of digital
    photo labs.....and several years experience in the print & imaging
    marketplace.

    Anyway. There is a huge price difference between pro labs and your
    homeinkjet photo printer. Somewhere in the region of $50K vs $50 or so.
    That plus the fact that the majority of lab printers use a totally different
    process - basically your regular wet chemistry based photo process that you
    have been used to for years.

    In terms of stability of the output of the home photo printer, that will be
    down to the quality of ink and paper you use. Google on "archival photo
    printing" or similar.

    The consumer inkjet printers available today do a good job of printing
    photos. The main difference is price however. Both ink and paper are
    expensive - and even more so if you buy archive quality. The lab photo
    printers are designed to run 8-16 hours per day, 6 days per week and as such
    the consumables (paper and chemistry) come in bulk and are far lower cost.
    Your home printer on the other hand, is probably designed to make <20 photo
    quality prints per day and last for maybe 18 months.

    If I were you, I would try to convince my family to view the memory cards
    purely as "digital film" and not to change their approach to having the
    majority of photos printed at the lab. The only difference being that they
    can delete the rubbish ones first. If they buy into this, then there is
    little change in the way they have always taken photos. The main benefit is
    that they can also print at home anything they don't want to take to the
    lab, and manipulate images on the PC.

    Personally, I get 90% of my prints done at the local lab and use my inkjet
    for proofs and nirt work (need it right now). My wife was turned off by
    digital photography due to her perception that she wouldn't get so many
    physical prints to look at - however as soon as she started looking at the
    memory cards as film, the whole thing just clicked.....

    adm, Dec 23, 2004
  7. On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 05:12:31 GMT, John <>
    wrote:

    >Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
    >question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so strict,
    >but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But if
    >you
    >know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer, but
    >cite your sources, thanks...
    >
    >Question
    >Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
    >photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of years
    >without fade. My family purchased a cute little photo printer to go with our
    >Sony digital camera that is 5-6MP MP I believe. The pictures look just as
    >good
    >as a 35mm, but I wonder if they will last 5-10 years. On the other hand I can
    >go to a photo lab and insert a Memory Stick, pro, SD, mini SD, XD, San Disk,
    >CD/DVD, CF, or a floppy disk into one of the machines an receive goodprints
    >within the hour. Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that we
    >have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs. Because they both look the same,
    >there has to be a huge price difference between the home machine and the
    >professional machines.
    >
    >I've attempted to persuade my family not to completely dump their 35mm cameras
    >and the idea of biringing their camera into a photo lab to have the pictures
    >printed, but they do not listen. I personally own a Vivitar camera that uses
    >SD cards and the 1 hour lab produces good results. But their photo machine
    >only takes memory stick, bummer!!
    >

    >Thanks,
    >

    >John

    The durability, quality, and cost of home photo printer prints
    vis-a-vis prints produced commercially has been extensively discussed
    here. This information is readily available through Google.

    I could answer your question, of course, as can any of the "regulars"
    here. Unfortunately none of the educational institutions I attended
    offered a curriculum in "Home Photo Printing."

    Cheers,

    Leonard

    Leonard Lehew, Dec 23, 2004
  8. John

    Angela Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to
    > this
    > question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so
    > strict,
    > but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But
    > if
    > you
    > know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer,
    > but
    > cite your sources, thanks...

    As you clearly wont trust any answer that doesn't come from someone who has
    a BSc in inkjets or a BA in 1 hour photolabs you will no doubt be keen to
    see evidence that has been rigerously tested scientifically, so here is what
    I suggest you do. Take a photograph, print it out on your inkjet, have the
    same photo printed out at a number of photolabs (as not all are the same
    quality). Place them in a nice sunny window - return to them in 10 years
    time and see which one came out best

    Angela, Dec 23, 2004
  9. >>I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that most photo kiosks use
    dye-sub printers,
    I'm not a hardware man but I have worked on photo kiosk software - which
    means I've seen the insides of one. The printer had a wide belt which was a
    bit like an old fashioned printer ribbon. I seem to recall it was a
    transparent plastic material which carried some sort of colour coating which
    got transferred to the picture. The ribbon was a consumable in that it got
    used up in the printing process.

    Perhaps someone can confirm what type of printer technology this rather
    unscientific description indicates. I don't have a clue.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Dec 23, 2004
  10. "John" <
    > Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
    > question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so strict,
    > but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But if
    > you
    > know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer, but
    > cite your sources, thanks...

    Have you ever considered taking a course in public relations?
    Some people need to be taught the basics.

    Fletis Humplebacker, Dec 23, 2004
  11. John

    Ken Burns Guest

    I don't meet your criteria, so I am not allowed to answer your questions.
    That's a real shame because I know quite a bit about the subjects you wish
    to discuss and have quite a list of good information sources saved in my
    Favorites list. I also own a number of good books by qualified people and
    could probably pass along some quite useful info. Sorry, but I don't meet
    your requirements.

    KB

    Ken Burns, Dec 23, 2004
  12. John

    HRosita Guest

    >"John" <
    >> Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to

    >this
    >> question or professional photographers answer

    Well, I guess Gates and Dell can't answer your question and neither can I even
    though I have worked with inkjet printers and digital cameras since 1998.

    Good luck with your answers.
    By the way, what degree do you have?
    Rosita

    HRosita, Dec 23, 2004
  13. In article <1103778751.21a76ff06dd924f861a91fa012be5ac4@teranews>, John
    <> wrote:

    > Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
    > question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so strict,
    > but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But if
    > you know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer, but
    > cite your sources, thanks...

    Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah!

    <gasp for breath, sigh> Thanks, I needed that. First time in a LONG
    time I've heard from someone who thinks a degree is relevant to
    current, practical knowledge. Isn't that cute...

    Scott Schuckert, Dec 23, 2004
  14. John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Kibo informs me that John <> stated that:
    >

    >>Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
    >>question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so strict,
    >>but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But if
    >>you
    >>know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer, but
    >>cite your sources, thanks...

    I have no degree, and I am not a professional photographer, but I have
    about 55 years experience with photography, including developing and
    printing my own pictures. The answer depends on the specific photo
    printer you buy. Some of the inkjets in combination with specific
    papers will last 75 years, or more, others may fade in a few years if
    exposed to air and light. I have an inkjet print in my wallet that
    still looks the same as it did when I printed it about 5 years ago, but
    it seldom sees light.
    If you use a printer that uses a dye sublimation printing mechanism
    (some Kodak and HP printers do this), the pictures are quite durable and
    should last as long as a print from a conventional photo printer. Note
    that you can take your pictures to a photoprinter and let them print
    them on the same paper and with the same chemicals as they use of film
    prints. These should last longer than you will.

    > *snort* On Usenet? - Good luck!
    >

    >>Question
    >>Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
    >>photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of years
    >>without fade. My family purchased a cute little photo printer to go with our
    >>Sony digital camera that is 5-6MP MP I believe. The pictures look just as
    >>good
    >>as a 35mm, but I wonder if they will last 5-10 years.

    > The short answer is 'no'. The dye+paper used in most inkjets has a short
    > lifespan, even when protected from light & the atmosphere. If you want
    > your prints to last more than a year or two, you need to print via
    > conventional photo paper (ie; a pro lab), or at least use a high end
    > pigment-based inkjet.
    >

    >> On the other hand I can
    >>go to a photo lab and insert a Memory Stick, pro, SD, mini SD, XD, San Disk,
    >>CD/DVD, CF, or a floppy disk into one of the machines an receive goodprints
    >>within the hour. Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that we
    >>have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs. Because they both look the same,
    >>there has to be a huge price difference between the home machine and the
    >>professional machines.

    > Most likely, yes.
    > I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that most photo kiosks use
    > dye-sub printers, rather than conventional (wet process) printing on
    > true photographic paper, like 1 hour labs. Both of these technologies
    > are different from home inkjets, BTW.
    >

    >>I've attempted to persuade my family not to completely dump their 35mm cameras
    >>and the idea of biringing their camera into a photo lab to have the pictures
    >>printed, but they do not listen. I personally own a Vivitar camera that uses
    >>SD cards and the 1 hour lab produces good results. But their photo machine
    >>only takes memory stick, bummer!!

    > That's pretty shortsighted of them. My local service station recently
    > aquired a photo kiosk, & it takes CDROMs as well as a wide variety of
    > memory cards. I find it extremely convenient (& cheap!) for traditional
    > sized photos to give to relatives & friends. I was also very pleasantly
    > surprised to find that the output quality is excellent for the price, &
    > the machine doesn't screw around with the colour or tonal balance of my
    > images.

    In the US, both Sam's Wholesale Club and Wal-Mart have machines that
    will read most flash cards and also can use CDs. These will print on
    the same paper as they use for film prints. Prices range from $.12 to
    $.39 a print.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 23, 2004
  15. John

    Matt Ion Guest

    Well, I don't meet any of your qualifications, but I know enough to tell
    you that you don't provide enough information for even a vague answer.

    First of all, what kind of home printer are you talking about? Inkjet,
    dye-sublimation, laser? What brand? What paper? What storage
    conditions - lying about in direct sunlight, kept in a damp bathroom,
    sealed in clear plastic? Any ONE of these factors can have a little
    influence, or a lot, as to the longevity of pictures, nevermind once you
    start combining them.

    Second, all labs are not created equal. What printing process are they
    using? Most are probably using the exact same technology you'd use at
    home (inkjet or dye-sub), they just use a bigger, more expensive version
    of the same printer that's designed to print faster, on larger stock,
    and go longer between repairs/maintenance. Speaking of which, how do
    you know the machine(s) at the "pro" shop are being maintained properly?
    That the people operating them know a good photo from a bad one?

    Matt Ion, Dec 23, 2004
  16. John

    measekite Guest

    I guess the reason you specified the criteria is because of all the
    bulshit answers to questions people give.

    However, plain and simple the short answer is no. Now we can look at it
    from a logical view. Photo prints have been around for over 100 years.
    And photo labs (Kodak) for over 50. Good digital printers, inks, and
    papers around for maybe 5 years. Other than doing lab experiments using
    projected hypotheses, not enough years have past to do a real world
    empirical observation.

    Currently, some digital photo prints have faded in months. Some have
    not. Some have been protected while some has not.

    These answers are from my course in Home Digital Printing Longevity 101B.

    measekite, Dec 23, 2004
  17. John

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: John DA

    >Question
    >Will a home photo printer produce the same long term results as the 1 hour
    >photo lab? When I mean long term, I mean a photo lasting a number of years
    >without fade.

    Depends on which home printer ... this site estimates the print longevity of
    eleven popular 4x6" home printers and shows a range of from 4 years for a Sony
    dye-sub to 115 years for an HP Photosmart and 104 years for the Epson model.
    The biggest surprise is that Kodak claims 100 years to their in-house tests but
    to Wilhelm's test they only go to an estimated 19 and 26 years, due to the much
    easier viewing conditions assumed by Kodak. So opinions vary widely.

    http://www.wilhelm-research.com/4x6/4x6_permanence_preview.html

    > Dont tell me that the little photo printing machine that we
    >have is as quality as the 1 hour photo labs.

    Which one do you have? Is it on the list at this web site?

    >Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to this
    >question or professional photographers answer.

    Even people with doctorate degrees disagree so you have to read various sites
    and decide for yourself.

    Bill Hilton, Dec 23, 2004
  18. John

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Depends on which home printer ... this site estimates the print longevity of
    >eleven popular 4x6" home printers ... So opinions vary widely.
    >
    >http://www.wilhelm-research.com/4x6/4x6_permanence_preview.html

    Should point out that printer # 3 on the list is the one most often used by the
    mini-labs, printing on Fuji Crystal Archive paper with, in this case, a Fuji
    Frontier mini-lab with Fuji chemicals. It ranks pretty well at 40 years,
    behind the Epson and HP models but ahead of the other eight tested.

    Bill Hilton, Dec 23, 2004
  19. John

    Guest

    Qualifications:
    BSc 1988.

    Answers:
    No. Yes. No. No. Yes. Maybe. Perhaps. No. How should I know?

    Buying Guide. PC Magazine.
    2. http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html

    , Dec 23, 2004
  20. John

    Robert Scott Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Please I ask only those who have a college degree in a field relevent to
    > this
    > question or professional photographers answer. Sorry I have to be so
    > strict,
    > but I need advice from people who know what they are talking about. But
    > if
    > you
    > know what your talking about and do not have a degree go ahead and answer,
    > but
    > cite your sources, thanks...

    Sorry... I guess I'm just not smart enough to help you. :-(

    (Do I need to cite sources? OK: My sister says I'm a moron.)

    Good luck,
    Bob Scott

    Robert Scott, Dec 23, 2004