Question about older PC-based game - Freedom Force

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I don't know what "gaming"
    group on Usenet to post this in and the few I have posted it to have not
    answered ... so I am trying here. I am having an issue with my Electronic
    Arts game called "Freedom Force." I have installed it on a PC that operates
    Win XP SP-2 using a 3Ghz P4 and 256 RAM. I'm not sure about the video or
    soundcard on that system, but I know they are not name-brand items. The
    game runs perfectly except at shutdown when it sort of gets stuck closing,
    errors out and causes some kind of an issue that Win XP thinks it needs to
    send to Microsoft. Well that's not a big deal.

    BUT ... when I try to install the very same game on a Win XP SP-2 machine
    running an Athlon 750Mhz with 512 RAM the game crashes before it even loads
    up. On this system it's got a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 video card with a
    Creative Soundblaster Live! soundcard. Strange things is this game has
    worked on this same sytem before, except for it was not Windows XP with SP-2
    installed. Yet on the first system it does have SP-2 and works fine.
    Drivers on the NVIDIA and the Soundblaster are up to date. In fact I even
    tried to install the original drivers for my NVIDIA card and still it
    crashed.

    And yes, I've even tried all possible configs inside of Win XP of the
    compatability issues and nothing. Yet on the 1st PC (the P4 3Ghz) I did not
    have to config anything except inside of the game once it loaded I set the
    resolution to 800x600x32 and changed the sound from none to Hardware
    emulation. I can't even get that far in the Athlon PC.

    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This has me totally stumped!!

    --
    Kyle

    $1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
    reply. Money gets faster attention :)
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jan 15, 2005

  2. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    nogeekatall Guest

    "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I don't know what
    > "gaming" group on Usenet to post this in and the few I have posted it to
    > have not answered ... so I am trying here. I am having an issue with my
    > Electronic Arts game called "Freedom Force." I have installed it on a PC
    > that operates Win XP SP-2 using a 3Ghz P4 and 256 RAM. I'm not sure about
    > the video or soundcard on that system, but I know they are not name-brand
    > items. The game runs perfectly except at shutdown when it sort of gets
    > stuck closing, errors out and causes some kind of an issue that Win XP
    > thinks it needs to send to Microsoft. Well that's not a big deal.
    >
    > BUT ... when I try to install the very same game on a Win XP SP-2 machine
    > running an Athlon 750Mhz with 512 RAM the game crashes before it even
    > loads up. On this system it's got a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 video card with
    > a Creative Soundblaster Live! soundcard. Strange things is this game has
    > worked on this same sytem before, except for it was not Windows XP with
    > SP-2 installed. Yet on the first system it does have SP-2 and works fine.
    > Drivers on the NVIDIA and the Soundblaster are up to date. In fact I even
    > tried to install the original drivers for my NVIDIA card and still it
    > crashed.
    >
    > And yes, I've even tried all possible configs inside of Win XP of the
    > compatability issues and nothing. Yet on the 1st PC (the P4 3Ghz) I did
    > not have to config anything except inside of the game once it loaded I set
    > the resolution to 800x600x32 and changed the sound from none to Hardware
    > emulation. I can't even get that far in the Athlon PC.
    >
    > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This has me totally stumped!!

    Have you looked for any updates to the game?
    nogeekatall, Jan 15, 2005

  3. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Slother Guest

    "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message news:...
    | I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I don't know what "gaming"
    | group on Usenet to post this in and the few I have posted it to have not
    | answered ... so I am trying here. I am having an issue with my Electronic
    | Arts game called "Freedom Force." I have installed it on a PC that operates
    | Win XP SP-2 using a 3Ghz P4 and 256 RAM. I'm not sure about the video or
    | soundcard on that system, but I know they are not name-brand items. The
    | game runs perfectly except at shutdown when it sort of gets stuck closing,
    | errors out and causes some kind of an issue that Win XP thinks it needs to
    | send to Microsoft. Well that's not a big deal.
    |
    | BUT ... when I try to install the very same game on a Win XP SP-2 machine
    | running an Athlon 750Mhz with 512 RAM the game crashes before it even loads
    | up. On this system it's got a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 video card with a
    | Creative Soundblaster Live! soundcard. Strange things is this game has
    | worked on this same sytem before, except for it was not Windows XP with SP-2
    | installed. Yet on the first system it does have SP-2 and works fine.
    | Drivers on the NVIDIA and the Soundblaster are up to date. In fact I even
    | tried to install the original drivers for my NVIDIA card and still it
    | crashed.
    |
    | And yes, I've even tried all possible configs inside of Win XP of the
    | compatability issues and nothing. Yet on the 1st PC (the P4 3Ghz) I did not
    | have to config anything except inside of the game once it loaded I set the
    | resolution to 800x600x32 and changed the sound from none to Hardware
    | emulation. I can't even get that far in the Athlon PC.
    |
    | Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This has me totally stumped!!
    |

    | --
    | Kyle
    |
    | Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests of
    | $1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
    | obvious to the obvious. Oh, and if you must abuse or insult, don't expect a
    | reply. Money gets faster attention :)

    I had the same problem. with my geforce4 mx 440 and althlon 1.2 ghz cpu and freedom force. under winxp sp2
    as I did not find a solution on the web I gave the game the boot. it may be the cpu or the vid card. but in my case it was the vid
    card. because the game would actually run. but there where very bad graphical errors. as I got the same "hall of mirrors" effect you
    get from the old days when trying to program new
    levels for doom 1 and you forget to add a wall texture. (those who have made doom levels know of this effect) I know this may not
    help but at least your not alone
    Slother, Jan 16, 2005
  4. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Slother Guest

    "nogeekatall" <> wrote in message news:3dhGd.7824$...

    | "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message
    | > I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I don't know what
    | > "gaming" group on Usenet to post this in and the few I have posted it to
    | > have not answered ... so I am trying here. I am having an issue with my
    | > Electronic Arts game called "Freedom Force." I have installed it on a PC
    | > that operates Win XP SP-2 using a 3Ghz P4 and 256 RAM. I'm not sure about
    | > the video or soundcard on that system, but I know they are not name-brand
    | > items. The game runs perfectly except at shutdown when it sort of gets
    | > stuck closing, errors out and causes some kind of an issue that Win XP
    | > thinks it needs to send to Microsoft. Well that's not a big deal.
    | >
    | > BUT ... when I try to install the very same game on a Win XP SP-2 machine
    | > running an Athlon 750Mhz with 512 RAM the game crashes before it even
    | > loads up. On this system it's got a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 video card with
    | > a Creative Soundblaster Live! soundcard. Strange things is this game has
    | > worked on this same sytem before, except for it was not Windows XP with
    | > SP-2 installed. Yet on the first system it does have SP-2 and works fine.
    | > Drivers on the NVIDIA and the Soundblaster are up to date. In fact I even
    | > tried to install the original drivers for my NVIDIA card and still it
    | > crashed.
    | >
    | > And yes, I've even tried all possible configs inside of Win XP of the
    | > compatability issues and nothing. Yet on the 1st PC (the P4 3Ghz) I did
    | > not have to config anything except inside of the game once it loaded I set
    | > the resolution to 800x600x32 and changed the sound from none to Hardware
    | > emulation. I can't even get that far in the Athlon PC.
    | >
    | > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This has me totally stumped!!
    |
    | Have you looked for any updates to the game?

    because the game is no longer supported by EA there where none when I looked for them aprox 4 months ago
    Slother, Jan 16, 2005
  5. In news:, Slother <>
    first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
    used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:

    > I had the same problem. with my geforce4 mx 440 and althlon 1.2 ghz
    > cpu and freedom force. under winxp sp2
    > as I did not find a solution on the web I gave the game the boot. it
    > may be the cpu or the vid card. but in my case it was the vid card.
    > because the game would actually run. but there where very bad
    > graphical errors. as I got the same "hall of mirrors" effect you get
    > from the old days when trying to program new
    > levels for doom 1 and you forget to add a wall texture. (those who
    > have made doom levels know of this effect) I know this may not help
    > but at least your not alone

    Nope, doesn't help but it does tell me that more than likely the trouble is
    in my drivers as I assumed. Something about the newer ones must be
    affecting it as about a year or two ago I had the game running fine on the
    same video and sound card. I haven't played it for a year now, re-formatted
    my HDD two weeks ago and went to download new drivers and this is when the
    trouble began.

    So ... here's a thought. Since the old video card drivers didn't seem to
    solve it ... maybe the old video and sound drivers might? Just a hunch.
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jan 16, 2005
  6. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    nogeekatall Guest

    nogeekatall, Jan 16, 2005
  7. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Slother Guest

    "nogeekatall" <> wrote in message news:MLuGd.8819$...

    | "Slother" <> wrote in message
    |
    | > because the game is no longer supported by EA there where none when I
    | > looked for them aprox 4 months ago
    |
    | try here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/freedomforce/
    |
    | or post your question here: http://p083.ezboard.com/fskindexfrm47

    tried the link to game spot and downloaded the 1.2 patch. now the game won't run at all anyone know of a 1.3 patch?
    Slother, Jan 17, 2005
  8. In news:, Slother <>
    first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
    used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:

    > tried the link to game spot and downloaded the 1.2 patch. now the
    > game won't run at all anyone know of a 1.3 patch?

    They never made a patch 1.3, or so I was told by someone from the Gamespy
    board. Still trying to solve my issue about the drivers on my Athlon PC.
    When does yours quit and how?
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jan 17, 2005
  9. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Slother Guest

    "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message news:...
    | In news:, Slother <>
    | first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
    | used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    | paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    | this:
    | >>
    | > tried the link to game spot and downloaded the 1.2 patch. now the
    | > game won't run at all anyone know of a 1.3 patch?
    |
    | They never made a patch 1.3, or so I was told by someone from the Gamespy
    | board. Still trying to solve my issue about the drivers on my Athlon PC.
    | When does yours quit and how?

    Mine quits after turning the screen black, then it shows a black square. for example the, (I would assume,) same black that the full
    screen was showing. just before the crash. then I get to send a lovely report to Microsoft as I get the error "freedom force
    encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for the inconvenience" but after the install of the patch and just before the
    initial run it tells me that my OS is in compatible with this game. (same reason I gave the game the heave hoe four months ago.)
    Slother, Jan 18, 2005
  10. In news:, Slother <>
    first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
    used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:

    > Mine quits after turning the screen black, then it shows a black
    > square. for example the, (I would assume,) same black that the full
    > screen was showing. just before the crash. then I get to send a
    > lovely report to Microsoft as I get the error "freedom force
    > encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for the
    > inconvenience" but after the install of the patch and just before the
    > initial run it tells me that my OS is in compatible with this game.
    > (same reason I gave the game the heave hoe four months ago.)

    That's what happens to mine as well ... goes black and begins to load, then
    crashes out to a black screen about 1/3rd to 1/4 of the original size of my
    screen followed by Microsoft's warning. When I loaded FF the first time on
    my system I had that same warning ... but not the second time around. And
    so far none of the tricks with compatability work whatsoever. And all of
    this is even before loading the 1.2 patch.
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jan 18, 2005
  11. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Slother Guest

    "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message news:...
    | That's what happens to mine as well ... goes black and begins to load, then
    | crashes out to a black screen about 1/3rd to 1/4 of the original size of my
    | screen followed by Microsoft's warning. When I loaded FF the first time on
    | my system I had that same warning ... but not the second time around. And
    | so far none of the tricks with compatability work whatsoever. And all of
    | this is even before loading the 1.2 patch.

    I tried to run the game at first before loading service pack 2. and never tried after until now. so maybe it still might be drivers
    like you said before. or it's the Sp2. like what they said on the site I got the patch from.
    Slother, Jan 20, 2005
  12. In news:, Slother <>
    first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
    used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:

    > I tried to run the game at first before loading service pack 2. and
    > never tried after until now. so maybe it still might be drivers like
    > you said before. or it's the Sp2. like what they said on the site I
    > got the patch from.

    My own indications are that it's not SP-2, unless you do multi-player. I've
    found many sites that say SP-2 only affects multi-player mode due to the
    Windows Firewall. So far nothing about SP-2 and the actual operation of the
    game. Plus I have a PC at work that I put the game onto running XP with
    SP-2 and it works fine until shutdown of the game. So I am leaning more
    towards drivers.

    Anyone reading this ... any chance of locating a website with older versions
    of drivers? My guess is that somehow the newest ones for my GeForce 2 and
    SB Live may be the trouble.
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jan 23, 2005