    Joshua Guest

    Can a computer running 98 OS access a shared file from a computer running
    Windows 2000 professional which used NTFS ?
    Joshua, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Joshua

    brianz Guest

    Yes

    brianz, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Incorrect. Since it is a shared network folder and not
    located on the same system, Windows 98 can read data on
    the shared folder regardless of file system.

    Christopher Cain, Oct 8, 2003
  4. A Windows 98 computer can access a file though a share regardless of what
    format the drive hosting the share uses.

    --
    Politician Spock
    MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

    Politician Spock, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Joshua

    Jtyc Guest

    > Basically,PCs formatted with fat can't access NTFS formatted PCs but
    > NTFS can access win98. Ok?

    You are incorrect.
    Jtyc, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Joshua

    Brianz Guest

    Kenny what the hell are you doing on this newsgroup?

    --
    Brian
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE

    Brianz, Oct 8, 2003
  7. Joshua

    Marko Guest

    "Kenny" is correct. File system makes no difference.
    What it comes down to is:

    Do the Sharing permissions allow the Windows 98 user to
    connect?
    Do the NTFS permissions allow the Win98 client?

    If yes to both, then the folders and files are available,
    regardless of file system.
    Marko, Oct 9, 2003
  8. Joshua

    dfc Guest

    well what is the finall answer y/n

    dfc, Oct 9, 2003
  9. Joshua

    Marko Guest

    Well dfc (is that acronym for Don't Friggin Care?)

    The answer is YES to being able to read files and folders
    on an NTFS drive if the permissions are right.

    Think about this: Lots of people have connected Windows
    95/98 clients in the past to NT servers. NTFS was never a
    hindrance to this in the past, so why now?
    Marko, Oct 9, 2003
  10. Joshua

    brianz Guest

    Shall we go back to Joshua's original question:

    Can a Win98 machine formatted with FAT access a share on a Win2k machine if
    the Win2k machine is NTFS

    And the answer is yes it bloody well can.

    Brian

    brianz, Oct 9, 2003
  11. Joshua

    Kevin Guest

    Hee hee, here we are in an MCSE discussion board and
    debating something this elementary. I understand your
    frustration Brian.

    Kevin, Oct 9, 2003
  12. Joshua

    Gav Guest

    OMG!! I Cant understand how so many people can find this so difficult to understand,

    Gav, Oct 14, 2003
  13. Now-now!!!!!

    Aw shucks...

    Should we care, given the question is flawed anyway ?

    Marlin Munrow, Oct 15, 2003