    actually different than the previous release?

    Thanks,
    Jason

    Jason, Mar 13, 2006

  2. "Jason" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Basic Instinct (Ultimate Edition)" comes out Tuesday of this week.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is just a re-release / re-package, or if it's
    > actually different than the previous release?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jason

    Good question. It's advertised as the "Unrated Director's Cut" but that has
    already been released as well.

    One viewer writes:

    "So what's the big deal between the R-rated & Unrated versions of Basic
    Instinct? Basically a little more violence and a little more sex. There's
    more stabs with the ice pick in the Unrated version (about 3 or 4), more
    shots of the victim actually being stabbed (courtesy of a man made puppet
    designed by Rob Bottin) and that's about it for the violence. The added sex
    has mainly to do with the first encounter between Michael Douglas's Nick
    Curran, and Sharon Stone's Catherine Tramell. The added scenes are hot &
    very well done, but overall, the result is still the same. The only other
    difference is the Unrated version includes an audio commentary with director
    Paul Verhoeven and director of photography Jan De Bont. This commentary is
    not available on the R-rated version. But both versions do include the 2nd
    commentary by Feminist critic, Camille Paglia, who praises the film as one
    of her all time favorite movies. Her commentary is quite informative and
    really gave me a lot of insight into the film that I never noticed before.
    Those of you who own the Special Edition Laserdisc that came out a few years
    back should be urged not to get rid of it. It's special features are quite
    different from those on these DVD versions. Even the Paul Verhoevan
    Commentary is different from the one on the DVD. Plus the DVD doesn't give
    you the option of viewing the final shot of the film with the alternate
    scoring conducted by Jerry Goldmith, although it is shown during the making
    of documentary. Still worth keeping."

    Hmmm...So it looks like you get a new introduction by Sharon Stone and a new
    conversation with Sharon Stone. But it doesn't seem to have the
    commentary by Camille Paglia the writer mentions above. Heck, you don't
    even get the ice pick that is packaged with the "regular" Collector's
    Edition, (as opposed to the Unrated Collector's Edition, which doesn't have
    the ice pick either.) What kind of Ultimate is that?

    This film has just been re-packaged too many times. Damn good film though.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E5N684/103-5895901-7999019?v=glance&n=130

    Bernie Woodham, Mar 15, 2006