    client computer, what must you do?

    A: Locate the path to the shared installation files on the distribution
    server. create a 671MB FAT partition on the target computer (2 GB
    recommended). Create a client disk with a network client so that you can
    connect from the computer, without an operating system, to the distribution
    server.

    So my question is, why do you have to create a FAT Partition before running
    a network install? Why cant you just pop in a network boot up disk, with no
    partitions on the drive, run the winnt switch to start the network setup,
    and have text mode create the partition for you like you how you usually can
    doing a manual install from a cd?

    roYal, Aug 30, 2003

  2. roYal

    Marko Guest

    >Q: You are installing Windows 2000 over the network.
    Before you install to a
    >client computer, what must you do?

    >So my question is, why do you have to create a FAT

    Partition before running

    I would not take very long to set your scenario up and
    actually try it. Are you in a position to do that? If
    not, can you say why not?

    It is likely the question will be answered one way or
    another. If my memory serves me, the answer is actually
    in the MS Press book as to why it will not work as you
    described. Clue: Where are the temporary installation
    files installed since, after the first reboot, the client
    no longer communicates with the network share?

    Marko, Aug 30, 2003

  3. roYal

    roYal Guest

    yes, i know about the temporary files, but when lets say you install from a
    cd, it still needs the temporary files, so why wouldn't it need a
    partitioned/formatted drive if you're installing from cd then?

    roYal, Aug 30, 2003
  4. roYal

    roYal Guest

    also, do you have to format the partition before doing a RIS install just
    like doing a regular network install?

    roYal, Aug 30, 2003
  5. roYal

    Marko Guest

    >yes, i know about the temporary files, but when lets say
    you install from a
    >cd, it still needs the temporary files, so why wouldn't

    it need a
    >partitioned/formatted drive if you're installing from cd

    then?

    They are different temporary files in each case.

    CD Install creates a partition of your choice but, even
    after the reboot, has access to the install files on the
    CD. The whole i386 folder is not copied.

    Problem with network install is that you lose the network
    connection after the first reboot. Whole i386 folder is
    copied.

    Marko, Aug 30, 2003
  6. roYal

    Marko Guest

    >also, do you have to format the partition before doing a

    RIS install just
    >like doing a regular network install?

    What does your book say? My copy of the MS Press book has
    the answer printed in it.

    Sorry - just realise that answering every question for you
    without you at least having a go yourself sets a bad
    precedence for this newsgroup to get flooded with pleas of
    help from people who can't be bothered looking for answers
    themselves.

    No Wait - I think that's already happening....

    Marko, Aug 30, 2003
  7. roYal

    roYal Guest

    i'm in the 70-215, this book doesn't really cover RIS. I think that's in
    216, i was just curious, sorry.

    roYal, Aug 30, 2003
  8. roYal

    Marko Guest

    Marko, Aug 30, 2003
  9. roYal

    Webster Guest

    "roYal" <> wrote in message
    > i'm in the 70-215, this book doesn't really cover RIS. I think that's in
    > 216, i was just curious, sorry.

    Then setup a RIS Server and get the experience. That is what I did to help
    study for 210, 215 and 270. You will learn a whole lot more from attempting
    to setup RIS than reading about RIS. You will learn a whole lot more trying
    to get RIS to work with an XP Pro image.

    Once you get RIS up and going then you can play with RIPrep and custom
    images "for different departments" (a scenario you WILL run across on the
    real exams).

    You will learn a lot getting RIS up and functioning: AD, DNS, DHCP, creating
    RIS boot diskettes, installing OS images, creating the myriad INI files and
    while you are at it leanr to use Network Monitor to scan your PXE Boot DHCP
    traffic. Once you do that you can learn how to prestage computers in RIS
    (217 exam requires this knowledge) (use Network Monitor to get the GUID for
    prestaging).

    See what all you can learn by doing it yourself. Then when the questions
    come up on the exams that are so easy to answer. Learning RIS, answer files
    and DNS will breeze you through 215, 216, 217 and 218.

    HTH

    Webster

    Webster, Aug 30, 2003
  10. roYal

    roYal Guest

    yes, i have 2 test computers already. However, i'm at the beginning of
    70-215. The reason why i was asking this question is, i don't want to just
    read, and get a small comprehension, and move on. I want to understand
    completely. Once i start learning more about dns, dhcp, probably when i get
    to 70-216, i will set up my server, which is already setup with AD and DNS,
    and once i start learning about DHCP and stuff, i will create RIS, and use
    my 2nd computer, install winxp on it, and start usign RIPREP and stuff and
    creating answer files. I love learning this stuff!

    roYal, Aug 30, 2003
  11. roYal

    roYal Guest

    ya, i kind of understand. It needs the DOS partition, because you have to
    download the i386 directory and store it on your disk drive, because when
    you reboot, you don't have communication with the distrubtion share point
    anymore.

    The thing i don't get is, if you're installing from a cd from your own
    computer, and it starts loading files before it gets to the f8 screen or
    partition screen, where are those files being loaded, memory?

    roYal, Aug 31, 2003
  12. roYal

    Marko Guest

    No - It uses the disk and not memory to store files. But
    to just load files and start the text mode part of setup,
    yes it can use memory. It is after you choose the install
    partition and it is formatted that setup will store files
    to your local hard disk. Before this, setup uses memory.

    But you have to know some things in more detail. Like:

    How do you access a network share and a NTFS partition
    from DOS? If you can't, what compromise must be made?

    At what point in the setup is a disk partition converted
    to NTFS?

    All of this makes more sense if you learn what can be done
    and what is not possible during various stages of the
    setup process. And if you break down the setup in its
    various stages and then the stages using the different
    methods (CD install; winnt and winnt32 using upgrade from
    Win98/NT4, over the network, DOS, RIS, etc.), you will
    figure all this out fairly quickly.

    This is one of those problems where giving you the answer
    is likely to leave you feeling that you still don't
    understand why the answer is right. Understanding will
    help you to determine the best action when deploying for
    real.

    Marko, Sep 1, 2003
  13. roYal

    roYal Guest

    Ya that's what i thought, before the f8 process, it uses memory, then once
    you choose the partition and format, then it uses the disk. I must've
    explained it poorly in my last post.

    You can't access ntfs from dos, you can use the winnt32 /cmdcons command to
    isntall the recovery agent, and then reboot into the recovery console or
    just boot off the cd, choose repair, and choose to load the recovery
    console.

    After you choose f8, you are prompted to format in ntfs, leave the current
    filesystem intact, or convert to ntfs. IF you're planning on DCPROMO the
    server, then you must choose NTFS since SYSVOL has to be on an ntfs
    partition.

    See, i do know a bit of stuff already for just being in the 3rd chapter. I
    try to play close attention to detail, it's just that 1 little thing that
    confused me.

    Marko, thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

    roYal, Sep 1, 2003
  14. roYal

    Maestro Guest

    You're horrible as a facilitator.