question about netflix throttling

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by bbcrock@gmail.com, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I returned 6 DVDs in the last month that went missing. I waited until
    5 days after I mailed them each time and declared them lost. This
    happened over and over again- as I said 6 times. Netflix suspended my
    account on Friday. I called our postmaster and threatened him that
    employees were stealing DVDs- 6 were missing from the same delivery
    space. Then I called Netflix and the guy unfroze my account
    immediately appologizing- said there was no problem.

    Monday morning the lost DVDs started showing up on my account as
    returned. Four were assigned today's date: 7/10/06, BUT two OTHER ones
    were assigned "Returned on 6/27/06" which would have been the day after
    I declared them missing. In other words Netflix left those on my list
    as "Lost Discs" while they had been received by NF two weeks ago.

    I am on the 6-out plan and my family members return 5-6 movies or tv
    shows per week. I rarely cross over 6 movies per week in a mothly
    average. 6 out/6 per week is completely fair and am not trying to
    return 6 movies on Monday, get them wednesday, return again on friday
    or other tricks.

    Anyone know if holding the returns for 5+ days is a new throttling
    plan? I regularly put multiple dvds into local sleeves to outsmart the
    "distant netflix facility throttle."

    Don

    , Jul 10, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I rarely cross over 6 movies per week in a mothly
    > average. 6 out/6 per week is completely fair and am not trying to
    > return 6 movies on Monday, get them wednesday, return again on friday
    > or other tricks.
    >
    > Anyone know if holding the returns for 5+ days is a new throttling
    > plan? I regularly put multiple dvds into local sleeves to outsmart the
    > "distant netflix facility throttle."

    ....Well, you're sure putting a horse on THEM, aren't you?

    Derek Janssen (who's never been suspended, that he can remember)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 10, 2006

  3. Guest

    I have no clue what that sentence means.

    Don

  4. wrote:

    >>...Well, you're sure putting a horse on THEM, aren't you?
    >>
    >>(who's never been suspended, that he can remember)
    >>

    > I have no clue what that sentence means.

    Translation:
    "I, personally, have never consciously tried to 'outwit' Netflix's
    distribution mechanism (well, at least not since they got rid of the
    Disk Returned button), have never noticed any particular throttling
    problem outside of understandably crowded New Releases, and since I have
    only seen five-day rent/return waits on disks from outside my local area
    (and usually only three days at that), have never seriously entertained
    'conspiracy' theories."

    (...Yes, a rather unimaginative approach to the company, one might say,
    but rewarding.)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jul 10, 2006
  5. Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Anyone know if holding the returns for 5+ days is a new throttling
    > plan? I regularly put multiple dvds into local sleeves to outsmart the
    > "distant netflix facility throttle."

    They still usually wait until the disks are forwarded to their original
    location before mailing your next one out.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jul 11, 2006
  6. Guest Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:14:35 -0400, Invid Fan <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know if holding the returns for 5+ days is a new throttling
    >> plan? I regularly put multiple dvds into local sleeves to outsmart the
    >> "distant netflix facility throttle."
    >>

    >They still usually wait until the disks are forwarded to their original
    >location before mailing your next one out.

    They have started holding mine for 5-6 days after I ship it back.
    After 6 days when I am able to declare it lost, they " find it"
    usually within an hour or two. I'm tired of the BS. My cost per dvd
    used to be about $1.25 now it's about $3.00. I can rent new release
    videos for 3 for $5.00 locally. I guess this is my last month with
    Netflix.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2006
  7. Phisherman Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 04:04:58 GMT, "<oooo>" <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:14:35 -0400, Invid Fan <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know if holding the returns for 5+ days is a new throttling
    >>> plan? I regularly put multiple dvds into local sleeves to outsmart the
    >>> "distant netflix facility throttle."
    >>>

    >>They still usually wait until the disks are forwarded to their original
    >>location before mailing your next one out.

    >They have started holding mine for 5-6 days after I ship it back.
    >After 6 days when I am able to declare it lost, they " find it"
    >usually within an hour or two. I'm tired of the BS. My cost per dvd
    >used to be about $1.25 now it's about $3.00. I can rent new release
    >videos for 3 for $5.00 locally. I guess this is my last month with
    >Netflix.

    My cost is about $1.70 per DVD with Netflix. Locally, new releases
    are $5.99, others $2.40. Occasionally, there is an unlimited $0.89
    for 24 hour deal for non-new releases at a local video store. Three
    for $5 is a good deal. If my cost jumps above $2.50, I'll consider
    canceling Netflix, but the issue here is that Netflix has DVDs I'm
    looking for that the local video stores do not.

    Phisherman, Jul 11, 2006
  8. Guest

    that's what I needed to know. I have not had that happen before. But
    6 movies went "lost" on me in a matter of 3 weeks. I keep increasing
    the amount of movies I have out because I'm willing to pay an extra $6
    for another new movie each week (approx $1.50 per week). I have no
    problem paying for the service. It's become an integral and
    irreplaceable part of my family's entertainment- particularly for
    obscure titles- so canceling is not an option.

    Don

    > They have started holding mine for 5-6 days after I ship it back.
    > After 6 days when I am able to declare it lost, they " find it"
    > usually within an hour or two. I'm tired of the BS. My cost per dvd
    > used to be about $1.25 now it's about $3.00. I can rent new release
    > videos for 3 for $5.00 locally. I guess this is my last month with
    > Netflix.

    , Jul 11, 2006
  9. gunner Guest

    Now That IS TOTAL BULL****. The only times I haven't receieved 5-6 discs on
    my 3 out plan is when we have a three day week-end or discs come from out of
    area. I get 1 business day turnaround when I return them to my local
    distribution center Regardless of where the discs are sent from. I have been
    a member for over a year and have zero complaints about the service. No one
    that I talk to who uses NetFlix have any complaints either.

    How can all you Bitchers explain this.

    Gunner

    gunner, Jul 11, 2006
  10. Guest

    I called them, they apologized for the service and gave me extra
    rentals.

    I love Netflix. They resolved the problem.

    Don

    wrote:
    > that's what I needed to know. I have not had that happen before. But
    > 6 movies went "lost" on me in a matter of 3 weeks. I keep increasing
    > the amount of movies I have out because I'm willing to pay an extra $6
    > for another new movie each week (approx $1.50 per week). I have no
    > problem paying for the service. It's become an integral and
    > irreplaceable part of my family's entertainment- particularly for
    > obscure titles- so canceling is not an option.
    >
    > Don

    > > They have started holding mine for 5-6 days after I ship it back.
    > > After 6 days when I am able to declare it lost, they " find it"
    > > usually within an hour or two. I'm tired of the BS. My cost per dvd
    > > used to be about $1.25 now it's about $3.00. I can rent new release
    > > videos for 3 for $5.00 locally. I guess this is my last month with
    > > Netflix.

    , Jul 11, 2006
  11. Guest Guest

    And How long have you been working for Netflix? If you had'nt noticed
    Netflix just got sued for this and is continuing to "throttle" heavy
    users acconts any and every way they can. When I first started it was
    great, I'd request a movie and I'd get it 1-2 days, send it back same
    1-2 days. Then it slowed down to 2-4 days each way. Now it's still 2-4
    days to recieve but when I send them back they just "vanish" and don't
    show up until I report them missing. All you have to do is type in
    "Netflix throttling" in a search engine to see the huge amount of
    complaints.
    Did I explain it clearly enough for you?

    Guest, Jul 11, 2006
  12. Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, gunner
    <> wrote:

    > "Invid Fan" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Anyone know if holding the returns for 5+ days is a new throttling
    > >> plan? I regularly put multiple dvds into local sleeves to outsmart the
    > >> "distant netflix facility throttle."
    > >>

    > > They still usually wait until the disks are forwarded to their original
    > > location before mailing your next one out.
    > >

    > Now That IS TOTAL BULL****. The only times I haven't receieved 5-6 discs on
    > my 3 out plan is when we have a three day week-end or discs come from out of
    > area. I get 1 business day turnaround when I return them to my local
    > distribution center Regardless of where the discs are sent from. I have been
    > a member for over a year and have zero complaints about the service. No one
    > that I talk to who uses NetFlix have any complaints either.
    >
    > How can all you Bitchers explain this.

    Why is it BS? I think it's reasonable, and have no objection when it
    happens to me. My main problem is when titles sit in my queue for
    months labled "very long wait", but mostly that's because I'm down to
    renting titles they seem to only have one copy of (and I think they
    must have lost 'Billie Holiday: Lady Day Sings the Blues').

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jul 11, 2006
  13. Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:14:35 -0400, Invid Fan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Anyone know if holding the returns for 5+ days is a new throttling
    > >> plan? I regularly put multiple dvds into local sleeves to outsmart the
    > >> "distant netflix facility throttle."
    > >>

    > >They still usually wait until the disks are forwarded to their original
    > >location before mailing your next one out.

    > They have started holding mine for 5-6 days after I ship it back.
    > After 6 days when I am able to declare it lost, they " find it"
    > usually within an hour or two. I'm tired of the BS. My cost per dvd
    > used to be about $1.25 now it's about $3.00. I can rent new release
    > videos for 3 for $5.00 locally. I guess this is my last month with
    > Netflix.

    Once it's no longer useful for you, then most certainly quit. I keep
    intending to, as I have a hard time finding things to fill out my queue
    they have in stock. I always find something else that catches my
    interest, though, and toss a few more things in to rent.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jul 11, 2006
  14. <oooo> wrote:

    > And How long have you been working for Netflix? If you had'nt noticed
    > Netflix just got sued for this

    Wow, it MUST be their fault, then--
    Whiny attention-struck fanboys are completely blameless, you know! :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jul 11, 2006
  15. Invid Fan wrote:

    > My main problem is when titles sit in my queue for
    > months labled "very long wait", but mostly that's because I'm down to
    > renting titles they seem to only have one copy of (and I think they
    > must have lost 'Billie Holiday: Lady Day Sings the Blues').

    Either that, or the studio acquisition negotiations (what, you thought
    they just ran down to Best Buy and *bought* them?) are still being
    ironed out.

    Or else there really ARE that many people who want to rent "New Doctor
    Who: Season 1" at the same time...

    Derek Janssen (admittedly not out of the realm of possibility)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 12, 2006
  16. Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Derek
    Janssen <> wrote:

    > Invid Fan wrote:
    >
    > > My main problem is when titles sit in my queue for
    > > months labled "very long wait", but mostly that's because I'm down to
    > > renting titles they seem to only have one copy of (and I think they
    > > must have lost 'Billie Holiday: Lady Day Sings the Blues').

    > Either that, or the studio acquisition negotiations (what, you thought
    > they just ran down to Best Buy and *bought* them?) are still being
    > ironed out.

    Some things show up as being avalible for one day, before going "very
    long wait" for another few months, so I think there's a copy. If not,
    then for heaven's sake put them down in the 'Saved' section.
    (They have Eden's Bowy: Vol. 1 listed there, despite the later volumes
    being avalible for rent with no wait, so that's a case of a lost disk
    they haven't replaced most likely)

    > Or else there really ARE that many people who want to rent "New Doctor
    > Who: Season 1" at the same time...
    >
    > Derek Janssen (admittedly not out of the realm of possibility)

    If the audio's as screwed up as the reviews seem to say, and with the
    first season still airing on SFC and CBC, I can't see it being a rental
    hit. Now, if there were commentaries, I'd give it a rental...

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jul 12, 2006
  17. Guest Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:35:56 -0400, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    ><oooo> wrote:
    >
    >> And How long have you been working for Netflix? If you had'nt noticed
    >> Netflix just got sued for this and is continuing to "throttle" heavy

    users acconts any and every way they can. When I first started it was
    great, I'd request a movie and I'd get it 1-2 days, send it back same
    1-2 days. Then it slowed down to 2-4 days each way. Now it's still 2-4
    days to recieve but when I send them back they just "vanish" and don't
    show up until I report them missing. All you have to do is type in
    "Netflix throttling" in a search engine to see the huge amount of
    complaints.
    Did I explain it clearly enough for you?

    >Wow, it MUST be their fault, then--
    >Whiny attention-struck fanboys are completely blameless, you know! :)
    >
    >Derek Janssen

    Whatever that's supposed to mean. tip Derek: drinking and posting
    don't mix if you want to assemble a coherent sentence.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2006
  18. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 03:09:13 GMT, "<oooo>" <> Gave
    us:

    <oooo> wrote:

    SNIP

    The characters that make up your nym *must* be zeros, because that
    fits all you are so well.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jul 12, 2006
  19. Guest Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 03:35:39 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> moaning softly in anticipation of
    insulting a stranger from the safety of his computer, typed the
    following:

    > The characters that make up your nym *must* be zeros, because that
    >fits all you are so well.

    "fits all you so well?" you are drunk

    I guess it's manditory now, every group in usenet has to have a
    resident asshole.

    Jehnna: "I suppose nothing hurts you." Conan: "Only pain."

    Guest, Jul 12, 2006
  20. Bob Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:35:35 -0400, Invid Fan <>
    wrote:

    >My main problem is when titles sit in my queue for
    >months labled "very long wait", but mostly that's because I'm down to
    >renting titles they seem to only have one copy of (and I think they
    >must have lost 'Billie Holiday: Lady Day Sings the Blues').

    Unbsubscribe for a while. When you re-subscribe, those DVDs will be
    immediately available. Put them at the top of the queue to get highest
    priority when you re-subscribe.

    I routinely subscribe for one month, then unsubscribe for one month.
    It's amazing how there is no throttling to speak of during that month
    I am re-subscribed. Last time I got 25 discs by putting the returns in
    my mailbox with the flag set on the next day after receipt.

    You can watch 3 DVDs in a 24 hour period if you are retired. Of
    course, there's always rip & burn. Actually bit torrents are the way
    to go, but that's another thread.

    Nevertheless I would rather just rent and watch. After a month of that
    twice a week you look forward to a month's rest.

    --

    Stop Repeat Offenders!
    Don't Re-elect Them!

    Bob, Jul 12, 2006