    I am new to computing and I'd like to know the ins and outs and the pros and
    cons about sites such as kazaa and WinMx. How do they work? Can others get
    into your computer this way? Is it legal? Thanks for any replies.
    Gloria, Sep 18, 2003

  2. No it is not legal and yes if they keep this up I am sure you will
    one day be caught. If the RIAA is sueing 12 year old little girls for
    downloading nursery rhymes, what makes you any different?

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Gloria

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as E_\_¼__½__¾__F continued:

    > "Gloria" <> wrote in message
    >> I am new to computing and I'd like to know the ins and outs and the
    >> pros and cons about sites such as kazaa and WinMx. How do they work?
    >> Can others get into your computer this way? Is it legal? Thanks for
    >> any replies.

    > No it is not legal and yes if they keep this up. If the RIAA is sueing

    12 year old little girls for
    > downloading nursery rhymes, what makes you any different?

    WTF ?
    Of course it is legal. Downloading /copyright/ material is illegal.

    " I am sure you will one day be caught" ???? How many people do you
    think download music via P2P networks ? You /really/ think the RIAA will
    be able to catch everyone ? Should I set aside some of my pension in
    case they manage to get to me before I die ?

    Stop being such a pompous prat.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Gloria

    Philip SC Guest

    > I am new to computing and I'd like to know the ins and outs and the pros
    and
    > cons about sites such as kazaa and WinMx. How do they work? Can others get
    > into your computer this way? Is it legal? Thanks for any replies.

    There are risks involved in downloading copyrighted material, and be aware
    that some of the file sharing apps are stuffed to the gunnels with spyware
    (Kazaa Lite is spyware-free, unlike its big brother Kazaa).
    Philip SC, Sep 18, 2003
  5. Oh no, I meant downloading wav files was illegal...and yes, as I
    already said, if its kept up you WILL eventually be caught.
    dont be such a dumbfuck

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 18, 2003
  6. Gloria

    Philip SC Guest

    No it isn't. Downloading copyrighted files of any sort is illegal.
    Downloading Aunty Beryl talking about the day she was a V1 over Dover isn't
    illegal.

    And there are currently 436 cases being brought by the RIAA, against
    3,984,024 file sharers on the Kazaa network at this time. Do the math.

    Philip SC, Sep 18, 2003
  7. I know the difference between copyright and non copyright. there was
    a hint of 'sarcasm' in my last post.

    "Philip SC" <> wrote in message
    | No it isn't. Downloading copyrighted files of any sort is illegal.
    | Downloading Aunty Beryl talking about the day she was a V1 over
    Dover isn't
    | illegal.
    |
    | And there are currently 436 cases being brought by the RIAA,
    against
    | 3,984,024 file sharers on the Kazaa network at this time. Do the
    math.

    | > Oh no, I meant downloading wav files was illegal...and yes, as I
    | > already said, if its kept up you WILL eventually be caught.
    | > dont be such a dumbfuck

    | > the
    | > work?
    Thanks
    | > for
    | > |
    | > sueing
    | > | 12 year old little girls for
    | > |
    | > | WTF ?
    | > | Of course it is legal. Downloading /copyright/ material is
    illegal.
    | > |
    | > | " I am sure you will one day be caught" ???? How many people do
    you
    | > | think download music via P2P networks ? You /really/ think the
    RIAA
    | > will
    | > | be able to catch everyone ? Should I set aside some of my
    pension
    | > in
    | > | case they manage to get to me before I die ?
    | > |
    | > | Stop being such a pompous prat.
    | > | --
    | > | slumpy
    | > | no more
    | > | no less
    | > | just slumpy
    | > |

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 18, 2003
  8. And yes, wav files can be copyrighted. what about someone who's
    ripped some tracks from a metallica cd? wav files to start aren't
    they?

    "Philip SC" <> wrote in message
    | No it isn't. Downloading copyrighted files of any sort is illegal.
    | Downloading Aunty Beryl talking about the day she was a V1 over
    Dover isn't
    | illegal.
    |
    | And there are currently 436 cases being brought by the RIAA,
    against
    | 3,984,024 file sharers on the Kazaa network at this time. Do the
    math.

    | > Oh no, I meant downloading wav files was illegal...and yes, as I
    | > already said, if its kept up you WILL eventually be caught.
    | > dont be such a dumbfuck

    | > the
    | > work?
    Thanks
    | > for
    | > |
    | > sueing
    | > | 12 year old little girls for
    | > |
    | > | WTF ?
    | > | Of course it is legal. Downloading /copyright/ material is
    illegal.
    | > |
    | > | " I am sure you will one day be caught" ???? How many people do
    you
    | > | think download music via P2P networks ? You /really/ think the
    RIAA
    | > will
    | > | be able to catch everyone ? Should I set aside some of my
    pension
    | > in
    | > | case they manage to get to me before I die ?
    | > |
    | > | Stop being such a pompous prat.
    | > | --
    | > | slumpy
    | > | no more
    | > | no less
    | > | just slumpy
    | > |

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 18, 2003
  9. Gloria

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as E_\_¼__½__¾__F continued:

    >> " I am sure you will one day be caught" ???? How many people do you
    >> think download music via P2P networks ? You /really/ think the RIAA
    >> will be able to catch everyone ? Should I set aside some of my
    >> pension in case they manage to get to me before I die ?
    >>
    >> Stop being such a pompous prat.

    > Oh no, I meant downloading wav files was illegal...and yes, as I
    > already said, if its kept up you WILL eventually be caught.
    > dont be such a dumbfuck

    Wrong again. Wav files (or any other kind of files) can be subject to
    copyright. *Only* copyright files are covered bt RIAA regulations.

    But be realistic, forget whether you approve or not (and you obviously
    do not), how many people worldwide download or share music files ? How
    long do you think it would take to trace and prosecute *everybody* ?
    What happens when someone has a couple of dozen old unobtainable songs
    from the 50's on their hard drive ? You *really* think the RIAA is going
    to go through the legal motions over that ?

    Either way, you /were/ being pompous and judgemental.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Sep 18, 2003
  10. Well the person asked if it was illegal... no its not all illegal...
    but if you weigh out the copyrighted material on kazaa against the
    non copyrighted material I think the scale will tip just a weee lil'
    bit towards copyrighted. Ok, perhaps I was being a bit hasty and I
    apologize for that... I'm just saying this person needs to take some
    serious consideration before they download from kazaa or any ither
    P2P network. as was stated earlier by philip:

    >And there are currently 436 cases being brought by the RIAA, against
    >3,984,024 file sharers on the Kazaa network at this time. Do the

    math.

    This adds up. People will eventually start getting caught esp. the
    ones who least expect it. No, not everyone.... but still...

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 18, 2003
  11. Gloria

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as E_\_¼__½__¾__F continued:

    > Well the person asked if it was illegal... no its not all illegal...
    > but if you weigh out the copyrighted material on kazaa against the
    > non copyrighted material I think the scale will tip just a weee lil'
    > bit towards copyrighted. Ok, perhaps I was being a bit hasty and I
    > apologize for that... I'm just saying this person needs to take some
    > serious consideration before they download from kazaa or any ither
    > P2P network. as was stated earlier by philip:
    >
    >> And there are currently 436 cases being brought by the RIAA, against
    >> 3,984,024 file sharers on the Kazaa network at this time. Do the
    >> math.

    > This adds up. People will eventually start getting caught esp. the
    > ones who least expect it. No, not everyone.... but still...

    No it doesn't. Think about how many /new/ users download, install and
    use Kazaa, Soulseek, WinMX etc every year. How many people can
    realistically be prosecuted each year ? How long before they start to
    make a dent in the total ? Forever seems a good guess.

    I accept it is illegal to download copyright files from the internet,
    but stopping the sharing of files is impossible. Will they close every
    binary newsgroup, and stop people hosting websites with hidden pages
    full of ".xxx(rename to mp3)" files ?

    Too little too late, RIAA.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Sep 18, 2003
  12. No, you're right it will never come to an end completely. Once the
    RIAA realizes they're spending more $ in court than they are losing
    to kazaa they will slack off a bit but until then, theres gonna be
    some scared people who will stop sharing and del. their stash to save
    their ass (as I did).

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 19, 2003
  13. Gloria

    Gloria Guest

    Could someone direct me to a newsgroup where I can get legitimate answers to
    real questions? Apparently this group isn't keen on helping newbies. Sorry I
    dropped in and intruded amongst you 'techies'. Seems that my question
    stirred up everything but answers. Can any of you remember when you were new
    to something? Never mind directing me, I'll find my own way out.

    Gloria

    Gloria, Sep 19, 2003
  14. Gloria

    Me Guest

    B'Bye...

    Me, Sep 19, 2003
  15. Gloria

    SgtMinor Guest

    Gloria wrote:

    > Could someone direct me to a newsgroup where I can get legitimate answers to
    > real questions? Apparently this group isn't keen on helping newbies. Sorry I
    > dropped in and intruded amongst you 'techies'. Seems that my question
    > stirred up everything but answers. Can any of you remember when you were new
    > to something? Never mind directing me, I'll find my own way out.

    Huh? "Could someone direct me..." and "Never mind directing me...? I
    am sooo confused.

    --
    "sic gloria transit mundi"

    SgtMinor, Sep 19, 2003
  16. Gloria

    trout Guest

    Gloria wrote:

    > Could someone direct me to a newsgroup where I can get legitimate
    > answers to real questions? Apparently this group isn't keen on
    > helping newbies. Sorry I dropped in and intruded amongst you
    > 'techies'. Seems that my question stirred up everything but answers.
    > Can any of you remember when you were new to something? Never mind
    > directing me, I'll find my own way out.
    >
    > Gloria

    Sure you don't want a hand? Must be hard to stride dramatically away
    in a huff with that stick up your ass.
    --
    "Try alt.whiners."
    trout, Sep 19, 2003
  17. Gloria

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as E_\_¼__½__¾__F continued:

    >> No it doesn't. Think about how many /new/ users download, install and
    >> use Kazaa, Soulseek, WinMX etc every year. How many people can
    >> realistically be prosecuted each year ? How long before they start to
    >> make a dent in the total ? Forever seems a good guess.
    >>
    >> I accept it is illegal to download copyright files from the internet,
    >> but stopping the sharing of files is impossible. Will they close
    >> every binary newsgroup, and stop people hosting websites with hidden
    >> pages full of ".xxx(rename to mp3)" files ?
    >>
    >> Too little too late, RIAA.

    > No, you're right it will never come to an end completely. Once the
    > RIAA realizes they're spending more $ in court than they are losing
    > to kazaa they will slack off a bit but until then, theres gonna be
    > some scared people who will stop sharing and del. their stash to save
    > their ass (as I did).

    The RIAA are stamping their feet and making lots of noise to try to get
    that very reaction from people. They know that their only approach is to
    close the P2P netwroks down, but they are soon replaced so they know
    they will never win.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Sep 19, 2003
  18. Gloria

    Brian H¹© Guest

    SgtMinor said:

    > Gloria wrote:
    >>
    >> Could someone direct me to a newsgroup where I can get legitimate answers to
    >> real questions? Apparently this group isn't keen on helping newbies. Sorry I
    >> dropped in and intruded amongst you 'techies'. Seems that my question
    >> stirred up everything but answers. Can any of you remember when you were new
    >> to something? Never mind directing me, I'll find my own way out.

    > Huh? "Could someone direct me..." and "Never mind directing me...? I
    > am sooo confused.
    >

    > --
    > "sic gloria transit mundi"

    What was Gloria doing in the back of your transit on Monday?

    Brian H¹©, Sep 20, 2003