Question About Multimedia Encyclopedias And Copyrights

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Slyfoot, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Slyfoot

    Slyfoot Guest

    Hello...

    I am wondering if anyone can tell me the legal fair use rules (in the
    U.S.) for quoting from a multimedia encyclopedia (such as Grolier or
    Encarta) online? For instance on Usenet or a LiveJournal weblog, is
    it permissable to quote an article in part or in it's entirety as long
    as it is properly attributed to the article's author and the
    Encyclopedia source?

    On a related note, are there any online encyclopedias which have no
    copyright restrictions and can be freely quoted from? I realize the
    risk of any legal threat to quoting something on the web is fairly
    small, but I am interested in the legalities nonetheless.

    ~Sly

    --
    Sam Campbell III
    Professional Dilettante

    Slyfoot, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Slyfoot

    patrick Guest

    Fair Use! check http://google.com for the expert's opinions!

    patrick, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Slyfoot

    Slyfoot Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:01:40 GMT, patrick <> wrote:

    >Fair Use! check http://google.com for the expert's opinions!

    I assume you are referring to Google's search capabilities "copying"
    webpages... I'm not sure if the rules would apply to, say, Usenet or a
    Weblog though. But really I'm just wanting to know if it's
    permissable to copy and paste an Encyclopedia article from a CD.
    There's too many hites for fair use and I don't know where to get the
    best info. This is probably not the best place to ask, though.

    ~Sly

    Slyfoot, Aug 13, 2004