    Of course I'm asking them for their permission verbally, but do they
    need to sign a release form as well?

    , Aug 31, 2006

  2. Rob Novak Guest

    On 31 Aug 2006 07:11:09 -0700, wrote:

    >I was asked to take pictures of various staff members at my agency for
    >use in some posters our graphics department was setting up.
    >Since the pictures are only going to be used by my agency and they are
    >of employees, would a model release form be needed?

    Yes. Though their terms of employement may already have a photo/media
    release built in. Be safe - have a separate release signed by every
    model in every frame submitted to the art dept. Better to be safe
    than sorry.

    >Of course I'm asking them for their permission verbally, but do they
    >need to sign a release form as well?

    Yes. Any time you are using photos of people to promote any third
    party, concept, product, or idea, you need to have a release. Period.
    Using images on promotional posters is not editorial use - they're
    being used to promote someone else's concept, and that's commercial
    use, whether or not money changes hands.
    --
    Central Maryland Photographer's Guild - http://www.cmpg.org
    Strange, Geometrical Hinges - http://sgh.rnovak.net

    Rob Novak, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Alex Guest

    On 31 Aug 2006 07:11:09 -0700, wrote:

    >Since the pictures are only going to be used by my agency and they are
    >of employees, would a model release form be needed?
    >Of course I'm asking them for their permission verbally, but do they
    >need to sign a release form as well?

    Yes.

    --
    Alex
    atheist #2007

    Alex, Aug 31, 2006
  4. bugbear Guest

    wrote:
    > I was asked to take pictures of various staff members at my agency for
    > use in some posters our graphics department was setting up.
    > Since the pictures are only going to be used by my agency and they are
    > of employees, would a model release form be needed?
    > Of course I'm asking them for their permission verbally, but do they
    > need to sign a release form as well?

    I'd have thought so, unless their contract of
    employment is more like slavery, removing
    ALL their independent rights!

    BugBea

    bugbear, Sep 1, 2006
  5. Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I was asked to take pictures of various staff members at my agency for
    > use in some posters our graphics department was setting up.
    > Since the pictures are only going to be used by my agency and they are
    > of employees, would a model release form be needed?
    > Of course I'm asking them for their permission verbally, but do they
    > need to sign a release form as well?

    Probably, but free legal advise is worth exactly what you pay for it.
    See an attorney for real legal advise.

    Shawn Hirn, Sep 1, 2006
  6. In rec.photo.digital Rob Novak <> wrote:
    > On 31 Aug 2006 07:11:09 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>I was asked to take pictures of various staff members at my agency for
    >>use in some posters our graphics department was setting up.
    >>Since the pictures are only going to be used by my agency and they are
    >>of employees, would a model release form be needed?

    > Yes. Though their terms of employement may already have a photo/media
    > release built in. Be safe - have a separate release signed by every
    > model in every frame submitted to the art dept. Better to be safe
    > than sorry.
    >
    >>Of course I'm asking them for their permission verbally, but do they
    >>need to sign a release form as well?

    > Yes. Any time you are using photos of people to promote any third
    > party, concept, product, or idea, you need to have a release. Period.
    > Using images on promotional posters is not editorial use - they're
    > being used to promote someone else's concept, and that's commercial
    > use, whether or not money changes hands.

    And note that it only matters if you can identify the model personally ... if
    you are just taking a picture of their backside [assuming it is not a
    personally identifiable backside] or in sillouette, then you wouldn't need a
    release.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 1, 2006
  7. Rob Novak Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:30:45 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse"
    <> wrote:

    >And note that it only matters if you can identify the model personally ... if
    >you are just taking a picture of their backside [assuming it is not a
    >personally identifiable backside] or in sillouette, then you wouldn't need a
    >release.

    I'd still get one. Two minutes worth of paperwork could head off a
    lot of BS down the line. My rule of thumb is: if you ever think "Do I
    need a release for this?" you need a release for that.

    Rob Novak, Sep 1, 2006