Question about Microsoft announcement

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    DP, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Tony Sperling, Jan 26, 2007

  3. Colin Barnhorst, Jan 26, 2007
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2007
  5. This is for extended support, so I don't see what's this fuss is all about.
    After 2009, it would be crazy for the owner of an XP home machine to pay big
    fees for getting support for what would then be a very old machine instead
    of buying something new.

    --
    Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
    MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Jan 26, 2007
  6. DP

    DP Guest

    I hadn't seen the earlier announcement about XP Pro. So my question
    (admittedly not clearly stated) was whether XP Professional x64 got the
    extended support as well. I realize it's branded XP, but as people here
    know, x64 is really NOT XP. It has a different service pack schedule etc
    etc.

    DP, Jan 26, 2007
  7. DP

    DP Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    > The announcement affects the consumer edition users. The business
    > editions, like XP Pro x64, aren't affected.

    As I just answered Charlie Russel:

    DP, Jan 26, 2007
  8. XP Pro and XP Pro x64 always have had 10 years support. That's why this
    announcement doesn't affect them.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 26, 2007
  9. There was no announcement concerning XP Pro earlier. There has been no
    change in support for the business editions.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 26, 2007
  10. DP

    > There was no announcement concerning XP Pro earlier. There has been no
    > change in support for the business editions.

    Ah.... I see now. I'd misread the opening paragraph:
    "Microsoft on Wednesday extended support for its Windows XP Home and Windows
    XP Media Center operating systems through 2014 to match policies already in
    place for the business-oriented Windows XP Professional. "

    I thought they were saying there'd been some previous announcement regarding
    Professional.

    As Gilda Radner's SNL character would've said: "Never mind."

    DP, Jan 26, 2007
  11. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2007
  12. DP

    Josh Hillman Guest

    Why not go to the source?

    Microsoft Support Lifecycle
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/

    Microsoft Support Lifecycle - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=8599
    General availability date: 2005-04-25
    Mainstreem support retired: 2009-04-14
    Extended support retired: 2014-04-08