    "go away and don't come back. Don't remind me at all." I am really getting
    annoyed at these little useless boxes. How many things need updating a dozen
    times a day?

    Newman, Oct 10, 2009

  2. Newman

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 21:55:31 -0400, Newman wrote:

    > I use XP Home and have a HP A630N Pavilion and use McAfee Security Center.
    >
    > A box with an offer to "update 3 programs" always appears on my desktop
    > after rebooting, asking if I want the programs updated. No indication of
    > what the programs are. The same box continues to appear many times during
    > the day whether I am rebooting or not. It offers to update the 3 programs
    > (not saying what they are) now, or later, but there is no way to just say,
    > "go away and don't come back. Don't remind me at all." I am really getting
    > annoyed at these little useless boxes. How many things need updating a dozen
    > times a day?

    Uninstall McAfee.
    Resource Hog and bloatware.

    richard, Oct 10, 2009

  3. Newman

    VanguardLH Guest

    Newman wrote:

    > I use XP Home and have a HP A630N Pavilion and use McAfee Security Center.
    >
    > A box with an offer to "update 3 programs" always appears on my desktop
    > after rebooting, asking if I want the programs updated. No indication of
    > what the programs are. The same box continues to appear many times during
    > the day whether I am rebooting or not. It offers to update the 3 programs
    > (not saying what they are) now, or later, but there is no way to just say,
    > "go away and don't come back. Don't remind me at all." I am really getting
    > annoyed at these little useless boxes. How many things need updating a dozen
    > times a day?

    Get SysInternals' Process Explorer. The aim-point toolbar icon
    identifies which process owns a window. Click on the icon and then
    click in the suspect window. Knowing what process owns a window helps
    to know who is the culprit. The path to the file that loads the process
    also sometimes helps.

    VanguardLH, Oct 10, 2009
  4. Newman

    Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Get SysInternals' Process Explorer.

    Agreed http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

    When the boxs' appear P.E. will change colors for that process, double
    clicking on it and selecting image will show where it's located, the
    name of the file alone can help a lot.

    Since you had to ask, unhide all your files first:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp

    --

    Those country boys...
    http://imgur.com/eLFPa