Question about LinkSys

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by brian.murrey@gmail.com, Jun 19, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have a client that is going to need a 48 port switch, with POE on 24
    ports. They will be running VoIP phones off the POE ports.

    I saw this Linksys switch for about $800...which is thousands below
    the cost of the real live Cisco switch I want them to use.

    SRW248G4P

    Tiger, New Egg, just about every cut rate reseller has it for $800 to
    $850 - have any of you use dthis model and if so, what do you think
    about it?

    Specs:

    Linksys 48-Port 10/100 + 4-Port Gigabit Switch with WebView and PoE
    The Linksys WebView Managed switch allows you to expand your network
    securely. Configuration of the switch is secured using SSL for Web
    access. User control is secured using 802.1x security using a RADIUS
    authentication mechanism and can also be controlled using MAC
    filtering.

    Extensive QoS features makes the solution ideal for real-time
    applications like Voice and Video. The 4 priority queues together with
    the Weighted Round Robin and Strict Priority scheduling techniques
    facilitate efficient co-existence of real-time traffic with data
    traffic allowing them each to meet their QoS needs. Individual users
    or applications can be prioritized above others using various Class of
    Service options - by port, layer 2 priority (802.1p), and Layer 3
    priority (TOS or DSCP). Intelligent Broadcast, and Multicast storm
    control minimizes and contain the effect of these types of traffic on
    regular traffic. IGMP Snooping limits bandwidth-intensive video
    traffic to only the requestors without flooding to all users. Incoming
    traffic can be policed and outgoing traffic can be shaped allowing you
    to control network access and traffic flow.

    There are features that allow you to expand and grow your network of
    switches. Link aggregation allow multiple high-bandwidth trunks
    between switches to be setup. This also provides a level of
    reliability in that the system continues to operate if one of the
    links break. Spanning Tree(STP), Fast Spanning Tree, and Rapid
    Spanning Tree(RSTP) allow you to build a mesh of switches increasing
    the availibility of the system.

    The rich management functionality of the WebView switches includes
    SNMP, RMON, Telnet, and HTTP Management options, allowing you to
    flexibly integrate and manage these devices in your network.

    Automatic Load Sensing - Power control circuitry automatically detects
    Power over Ethernet on access point before providing power. Power
    feeding of Ethernet limited for fixed 10/100 Base-T/TX ports. The
    solution can provide maximum output power per PoE port up to 15.4W on
    24 ports simultaneously. Independent overload and short-circuit
    protection for each port. LED indicators for power status per PoE
    port. Support IEEE802.3af MIB for power over Ethernet function.
    Support IEEE 802.1d spanning tree, IEEE 802.1w Rapid STP, Fast
    Linkover, IEEE 802.1s Multiple STP. Cable diagnostics.
    , Jun 19, 2007

  2. bendsley

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    Messages:
    9
    linksys

    Is the company using anything else or will this be the only switch? Personally, I like to keep all hardware the same. Where I work, we use Cisco exclusively because we know for sure it should (optimal word here) work together with no issues.

    If this is going to be the only switch or one in a completely branched off segment, then yeah, it looks like a viable option.

    Linksys, though owned by Cisco, is certainly a cheaper. However, Cisco is more recognized as enterprise level where Linksys is more assoaciated with home/small office.
    bendsley, Jun 20, 2007