Question about laptop computer fan noise

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by rxjwg98@gmail.com, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi,
    I have a Toshiba A60-JL1 laptop computer for more than one year. Seven
    months ago, I noticed there was a periodic noise from the fan. It was
    like the sound of a regular wind. For the computer, I found that at
    least there were two speeds for the fan. When there is heavy computing,
    it will be in high speed. Otherwise, it will be in low speed. The noise
    happens only at low speed although I cannot see any abnormal about the
    fan with naked eyes.

    The dealer changed the fan when the problem appeared. But the problem
    was still there. And when I went back to talk about the noise, they
    seemed reluctant to solve it anymore because it was not that apparent
    in a normal store.

    Anyway, the noise is still the same. In my office, it is not difficult
    to notice it at all. I just want to know something about this problem.
    For my desktop computer, there are two fans, one in the back; the other
    is on top of CPU. How many fans are there for Toshiba A60-JL1? Could
    you know something about it?

    Thanks in advance.
    , Oct 18, 2005

  2. JTJersey Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:02:00 -0700, rxjwg98 wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a Toshiba A60-JL1 laptop computer for more than one year. Seven
    > months ago, I noticed there was a periodic noise from the fan. It was
    > like the sound of a regular wind. For the computer, I found that at
    > least there were two speeds for the fan. When there is heavy computing,
    > it will be in high speed. Otherwise, it will be in low speed. The noise
    > happens only at low speed although I cannot see any abnormal about the
    > fan with naked eyes.
    >
    > The dealer changed the fan when the problem appeared. But the problem
    > was still there. And when I went back to talk about the noise, they
    > seemed reluctant to solve it anymore because it was not that apparent in
    > a normal store.
    >
    > Anyway, the noise is still the same. In my office, it is not difficult
    > to notice it at all. I just want to know something about this problem.
    > For my desktop computer, there are two fans, one in the back; the other
    > is on top of CPU. How many fans are there for Toshiba A60-JL1? Could you
    > know something about it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    In a quiet environment you will hear the CPU fan periodically speed up and
    become noticeably louder. It will sound like wind blowing out of the side
    of the laptop, then it will stop. There is normally only the one fan in a
    laptop whereas a desktop may have several fans. All modern desktop PC's
    will have a fan on the CPU. From that point there could be one (or more)
    fans in your power supply, possibly an exhaust fan at the rear of the case
    and maybe one or more in the front or side to pull in cool outside air. It
    can all end up sounding like a refrigerator running next to your head.
    Unless the fan is making grinding or buzzing noises (or any noise that
    isn't a wind sound) it's just doing its job and you'll have to live with
    it.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Oct 19, 2005