    certifications through them, that you only have to take the hardest
    test to keep the others current. So does that mean that if I go take the
    Network+ test, that my A+ will renew for another 3 years?

    Robert, Jan 18, 2010

  2. Robert

    walterbyrd Guest

    CompTIA deserves a class-action lawsuit.

    Just last year CompTIA’s FAQ stated:
    Question: Will I ever need to renew my certifications?
    Answer: No, CompTIA certifications are lifetime certifications.

    Now CompTIA, on a whim, has reneged on their agreements with hundreds
    of thousands of certification holders.

    walterbyrd, Jan 19, 2010

  3. Robert

    Bill Eitner Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:
    > CompTIA deserves a class-action lawsuit.
    >
    > Just last year CompTIA’s FAQ stated:
    > Question: Will I ever need to renew my certifications?
    > Answer: No, CompTIA certifications are lifetime certifications.

    But there was always the suggestion that you
    keep them current if you really work in the
    industry. And if so, doing so shouldn't be
    a big deal. You're in it every day. It's
    computers--it changes that fast. I originally
    took a course that used 2003 study materials
    but had to pass the current test. The 2003
    materials didn't properly prepare me, but my
    experience and practice testing pulled me
    through.

    > Now CompTIA, on a whim, has reneged on their agreements with hundreds
    > of thousands of certification holders.

    My feeling is that employers should decide.

    If they want you to stay current, they should
    pay for the tests and at least some of the formal
    preparation. And that's how it'll probably work
    in most cases.

    Imagine someone who certified in the days of
    DOS and Mac and resource allocation memorization.
    They simply aren't current anymore. They should
    retest if they (or their employer) want to say
    they are current.

    Of course I agree that some of it is CompTIA
    greed. It's their only business--how else are
    they going to bring in new money?

    The way I see it, my A+ is a lifetime certification.
    I passed it when I passed it--that can't be taken
    away--but it can be minimized. If it's old, it's
    outdated and insignificant.

    We always do what the employers want. If the
    employers decide that we need to be current with
    CompTIA, then that's what we'll do.

    Bill Eitner, Jan 20, 2010
  4. Robert

    Patty Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:59:15 -0800, Bill Eitner wrote:

    > walterbyrd wrote:
    >> CompTIA deserves a class-action lawsuit.
    >>
    >> Just last year CompTIA¢s FAQ stated:
    >> Question: Will I ever need to renew my certifications?
    >> Answer: No, CompTIA certifications are lifetime certifications.

    > But there was always the suggestion that you
    > keep them current if you really work in the
    > industry. And if so, doing so shouldn't be
    > a big deal. You're in it every day. It's
    > computers--it changes that fast. I originally
    > took a course that used 2003 study materials
    > but had to pass the current test. The 2003
    > materials didn't properly prepare me, but my
    > experience and practice testing pulled me
    > through.
    >
    >> Now CompTIA, on a whim, has reneged on their agreements with hundreds
    >> of thousands of certification holders.

    > My feeling is that employers should decide.
    >
    > If they want you to stay current, they should
    > pay for the tests and at least some of the formal
    > preparation. And that's how it'll probably work
    > in most cases.
    >
    > Imagine someone who certified in the days of
    > DOS and Mac and resource allocation memorization.
    > They simply aren't current anymore. They should
    > retest if they (or their employer) want to say
    > they are current.
    >
    > Of course I agree that some of it is CompTIA
    > greed. It's their only business--how else are
    > they going to bring in new money?
    >
    > The way I see it, my A+ is a lifetime certification.
    > I passed it when I passed it--that can't be taken
    > away--but it can be minimized. If it's old, it's
    > outdated and insignificant.
    >
    > We always do what the employers want. If the
    > employers decide that we need to be current with
    > CompTIA, then that's what we'll do.

    But, if you don't have an employer and are looking for a job, then the
    whole onus is put on you. And, with unemployment for income, you may not
    be able to afford more training and testing fees. I hate to say it, but
    someone who took the A+ in DOS days and is working in the industry has not
    stagnated and not learned anything new and still using only DOS. Give me a
    break. It's just a way for someone to make more money. Let's be realistic
    here.

    Patty
    A+ certified 2006

    Patty, Jan 20, 2010
  5. Robert

    soup Guest

    Bill Eitner wrote:

    > The way I see it, my A+ is a lifetime certification.
    > I passed it when I passed it--that can't be taken
    > away--but it can be minimized. If it's old, it's
    > outdated and insignificant.

    The class I am 'doing' my A+in [1]is also the class where I did my ECDL
    (and advanced) I did it on Office 2003 . There are people in that class
    who are doing there ECDL but with Office 2007 sometimes I feel I should
    redo my ECDL using 2007, but at others I think 'no it shows you can work
    with office suites it is not healthy to worry too much about
    versions/platforms etc' . The A+ I am doing uses XP as the new cutting
    edge O/S, what no Vista no Win 7 (linux Unix et al do get passing
    mentions), but XP is the one they concentrate on (and 2000 to a limited
    degree).

    [1] The A+ I am doing is open learning but the tutor allows me to use
    the class for practise/learning.

    soup, Jan 21, 2010
  6. Robert

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Patty wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:59:15 -0800, Bill Eitner wrote:
    >
    >> walterbyrd wrote:
    >>> CompTIA deserves a class-action lawsuit.
    >>>
    >>> Just last year CompTIA¢s FAQ stated:
    >>> Question: Will I ever need to renew my certifications?
    >>> Answer: No, CompTIA certifications are lifetime certifications.

    >> But there was always the suggestion that you
    >> keep them current if you really work in the
    >> industry. And if so, doing so shouldn't be
    >> a big deal. You're in it every day. It's
    >> computers--it changes that fast. I originally
    >> took a course that used 2003 study materials
    >> but had to pass the current test. The 2003
    >> materials didn't properly prepare me, but my
    >> experience and practice testing pulled me
    >> through.
    >>
    >>> Now CompTIA, on a whim, has reneged on their agreements with hundreds
    >>> of thousands of certification holders.

    >> My feeling is that employers should decide.
    >>
    >> If they want you to stay current, they should
    >> pay for the tests and at least some of the formal
    >> preparation. And that's how it'll probably work
    >> in most cases.
    >>
    >> Imagine someone who certified in the days of
    >> DOS and Mac and resource allocation memorization.
    >> They simply aren't current anymore. They should
    >> retest if they (or their employer) want to say
    >> they are current.
    >>
    >> Of course I agree that some of it is CompTIA
    >> greed. It's their only business--how else are
    >> they going to bring in new money?
    >>
    >> The way I see it, my A+ is a lifetime certification.
    >> I passed it when I passed it--that can't be taken
    >> away--but it can be minimized. If it's old, it's
    >> outdated and insignificant.
    >>
    >> We always do what the employers want. If the
    >> employers decide that we need to be current with
    >> CompTIA, then that's what we'll do.

    > But, if you don't have an employer and are looking for a job, then the
    > whole onus is put on you.

    Yes, you'd better be current if you're looking
    for a job. But again, it depends on the potential
    employer. An old cert and a resume with a timeline
    of current relevant work experience is just as good.
    Probably better really when compared to a newbie
    with a shiny new cert. If an employer wants a
    current cert, and is a decent employer, they will
    work with you. For example, you get the job but
    will need to prove performance and update your
    cert in some amount of time--say 6 months or a year.
    Some employers have their own tests. You're screened
    based on resume, cover letter, interviews, and then
    you take their test. Civil service jobs and jobs
    with larger companies are often like that.

    > And, with unemployment for income, you may not
    > be able to afford more training and testing fees.

    That's true. Depending on where you live, training
    may be free. At the very least, large libraries
    always have current A+ books and disks (all the
    study materials you really need). But you will
    have to come up with the money for the tests.

    > I hate to say it, but
    > someone who took the A+ in DOS days and is working in the industry has not
    > stagnated and not learned anything new and still using only DOS.

    I agree. They should be able to re-up their
    cert easily. Further, as explained above,
    their resume should speak to the fact that
    their skills are current.

    > Give me a
    > break. It's just a way for someone to make more money. Let's be realistic
    > here.

    Yes, let's.

    I have a good friend who earned an A+ and an
    MSCE around 2000. He was already an established
    welder. He worked in IT for a couple of years
    then landed a great job with a military contractor.
    At first it was about IT, but later, when they
    learned of his welding/metal fabrication background,
    it morphed into that kind of a job. His IT skills
    stagnated to the point where he was having trouble
    troubleshooting his own home desktop machine.
    He actually called me and casually bounced the
    symptoms off of me looking for direction (he has
    a lot of pride so he wasn't direct). So here I
    am telling an MCSE (God) how to solve a computer
    problem.

    Sure, some of it is CompTIA trying to make new
    money off of old clients, but it's not just that.

    > Patty
    > A+ certified 2006

    Bill
    A+ Certified 2009

    Bill Eitner, Jan 22, 2010
  7. Robert

    Bill Eitner Guest

    soup wrote:
    > Bill Eitner wrote:
    >

    >> The way I see it, my A+ is a lifetime certification.
    >> I passed it when I passed it--that can't be taken
    >> away--but it can be minimized. If it's old, it's
    >> outdated and insignificant.

    > The class I am 'doing' my A+in [1]is also the class where I did my ECDL
    > (and advanced) I did it on Office 2003 . There are people in that class
    > who are doing there ECDL but with Office 2007 sometimes I feel I should
    > redo my ECDL using 2007, but at others I think 'no it shows you can work
    > with office suites it is not healthy to worry too much about
    > versions/platforms etc' .

    As usual, "what does the employer want" is the question.

    We always cater to the employers.

    > The A+ I am doing uses XP as the new cutting
    > edge O/S, what no Vista no Win 7 (linux Unix et al do get passing
    > mentions), but XP is the one they concentrate on (and 2000 to a limited
    > degree).

    They never say it's cutting edge.

    XP is what you'll mostly see--that's
    what's important. You'll see a lot
    of 2000 boxes too. Right now the
    best Microsoft operating systems are
    2000 and XP. They got those right, and
    many companies that will be your clients
    use them. At work it's not about leading
    edge at all, it's about what works well
    without any major headaches.

    They say it's because of netbooks and
    the atom processor, but I think there's
    more to it, but XP is going to be supported
    until 2014. Think about that. Imagine
    an operating system that's so good it's
    viable for 13 years. In IT time that's
    centuries.

    XP is my favorite operating system.

    Daily I work with a number of operating
    systems. OS9, OSX, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000,
    XP, Vista, 7, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu,
    Puppy, DSL, yet I still like XP the most.

    > [1] The A+ I am doing is open learning but the tutor allows me to use
    > the class for practise/learning.

    Good luck

    Bill Eitner, Jan 22, 2010
  8. Robert

    soup Guest

    Bill Eitner wrote:
    > soup wrote:
    >> The A+ I am doing uses XP as the new cutting edge O/S,

    > They never say it's cutting edge

    True. Cutting edge was the wrong phrase for me to use. I do agree that
    XP is THE system most places use just now, but I wonder how many places
    will still use it by the time I get this qualification (eek it isn't
    very long at all:final exams in June). As you say though it depends
    what employers are after and if you 'get' your A+ on XP systems
    adjusting this for Win 7 shouldn't be that much of a leap, and it shows
    you can work with/know your way around a system.

    Thanks for the good wishes

    soup, Jan 22, 2010
  9. Robert

    Bill Eitner Guest

    soup wrote:
    > Bill Eitner wrote:
    >> soup wrote:
    >>> The A+ I am doing uses XP as the new cutting edge O/S,

    >> They never say it's cutting edge

    > True. Cutting edge was the wrong phrase for me to use.

    Although in a twisted way it's true.

    I could be wrong, but other than Direct X 10
    XP is still current, or leading edge, in every way.
    Am I wrong? Others reading this feel free to chime in.

    With the popularity of netbooks and Atom processors,
    Microsoft has decided (or been pressured) to support
    XP until 2014. All things considered, it'll probably
    work out to be a good PR move.

    Hell, where I work we're a Community Microsoft
    Authorized Refurbisher. And I'm the one that jumped
    through the hoops to make that happen. My real
    name is on the agreement. It's me on the hook.
    We're legally allowed to install 2000 Pro, XP Pro,
    Office XP, Office 2003 Standard and the 5 Microsoft
    Digital Literacy courses that lead to a certificate
    on the boxes we refurbish and give away or sell.

    I work at a place called Computers for Everyone.
    http://www.computersforeveryone.biz/

    > I do agree that
    > XP is THE system most places use just now, but I wonder how many places
    > will still use it by the time I get this qualification (eek it isn't
    > very long at all:final exams in June).

    In that regard the A+ is right on.

    The reality of it is as a tech you may still see
    DOS based and early NT based operating systems.
    Most companies don't care at all that they're
    IT stuff is not up to date. At some point they
    paid big for what they got and they're not going
    through that again until they have to. In other
    words, they stick with what they have until there's
    a compelling reason to change. Some geek saying
    "your stuff is old" isn't enough.

    > As you say though it depends
    > what employers are after and if you 'get' your A+ on XP systems
    > adjusting this for Win 7 shouldn't be that much of a leap, and it shows
    > you can work with/know your way around a system.

    I agree. Vista and 7 are just NT-based operating
    systems. NT (New Technology created by Microsoft)
    was a hassle until Windows 2000 came along.
    It and XP really perfected it in my opinion.
    Vista (from service pack 1 onward) and 7 are
    riding the coat tails of 2000 and XP. Both look
    great (if you have strong enough hardware), but
    have no new true underlying base technology.

    Think about it. The refurbishers get the best
    for cheap so they can help people and organizations.
    The rest is marketing. Don't believe me? Make
    a 2000 box and try to update it. You'll be
    surprised at how far Microsoft goes to continue
    to support 2000. The latest crap stuff like
    Internet Explorer and Media Player aren't offered,
    but security fixes all the way to date are.
    Interesting for an operating system that they
    don't support anymore.

    In the final analysis, 2000 is a rockin' operating
    system. Clearly the best Microsoft operating
    system for older equipment. I just put a system
    into the field that was an AMD K6-2 running at
    300MHz with 128MB or SDRAM. Normally people would
    say you have to run a super efficient Linux distro
    like Puppy or DSL for that system to be useful.
    They're wrong. 2000 worked fine on that box.
    And XP is even better and will work well on
    equipment that is almost as old. The only real
    difference between XP and the top-of-the-line
    Linux operating systems is that you still have to
    pay for XP.

    Where I work we refurbish equipment and sell it
    reasonably (we used to give it away but can't
    survive doing that anymore). The primary operating
    system is Debian Linux. It's free and comparable
    to XP in every way. We also use Puppy Linux or
    DSL (Damn Small Linux) on older equipment. The
    office suite is Open Office which is also free.

    And now that we're a Community Microsoft Authorized
    Refurbisher, some of our boxes are getting XP Pro
    and often some other Microsoft software. And 2000,
    because it isn't traced through validation can be
    put on anything along with Office 2000. Both are
    still competent. Keep that in mind if you have to
    work independently. The 2000/2000 combo is useful
    as it's more-or-less free and will work efficiently
    on old and new hardware.

    > Thanks for the good wishes

    You're welcome.

    Bill Eitner, Jan 23, 2010
  10. Robert

    walterbyrd Guest

    On Jan 19, 8:59 pm, Bill Eitner <> wrote:
    > walterbyrd wrote:
    > > CompTIA deserves a class-action lawsuit.

    >         But there was always the suggestion that you
    >         keep them current if you really work in the
    >         industry.

    What a total joke.

    1) The issue is not whether or not it's a good idea for certs to
    expire, it about business ethics. If I pay for a lifetime cert, then I
    expect to get a lifetime cert - period. If I feel that my certs need
    to be renewed, then I can chose to renew.

    2) Since when has that material on compia exams ever been current?
    Comptia still tests on ms-dos, windows 3.1, config.sys, 80286s,
    Decnet, and Appletalk.

    > And if so, doing so shouldn't be
    >         a big deal.  You're in it every day.

    The stuff actually done day to day has nothing to do the material on
    comptia exams. Comptia exams are just arbitrary trivia.

    >         Imagine someone who certified in the days of
    >         DOS and Mac and resource allocation memorization.
    >         They simply aren't current anymore.

    CompTIA *still* tests on DOS and 80286s.

    >         Of course I agree that some of it is CompTIA
    >         greed.  It's their only business--how else are
    >         they going to bring in new money?

    It will be interesting to see if being so brazenly dishonest brings in
    more money. I happen to prefer dealing with companies that are a
    little bit honest.

    Now that CompTIA exams are no longer good for life, what advantage
    does comptia have over other exams?

    CompTIA exams have always been too expensive, now we are expected to
    pay a $49 a year extortion . . er, "maintenance fee" I think there are
    better deals out there.

    Want to do helpdesk? The Microsoft Certified Desktop Support
    Technician (MCDST) is better and cheaper than an A+/Net+.

    Want to do security? The Sec+ has no advantages over the SSCP.
    Although the CISSP is what employers really want.

    Want to do networking? Cisco puts the Net+ to shame. Why spend 0ver
    $200 (plus maintenance fees) for the net+ when you can get a CCENT for
    $125? Much more important: with CISCO you can start with an entry
    level cert, and use that entry level cert to build to higher level
    cert. Once you finish the net+, you have no where to go. All comptia
    is entry level.

    Want to do Linux admin? The Linux+ is a joke, go with RHCE or LPIC.

    walterbyrd, Jan 23, 2010
  11. Robert

    Patty Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:21:22 -0800 (PST), walterbyrd wrote:

    > What a total joke.
    >
    > 1) The issue is not whether or not it's a good idea for certs to
    > expire, it about business ethics. If I pay for a lifetime cert, then I
    > expect to get a lifetime cert - period. If I feel that my certs need
    > to be renewed, then I can chose to renew.
    >
    > 2) Since when has that material on compia exams ever been current?
    > Comptia still tests on ms-dos, wi

    My personal feeling is that fewer people today are working towards getting
    CompTIA certs and thus, CompTIA has decided to try to get money out of the
    folks who already have their certs. How do I know this? In my area, no
    schools offer any training or education in CompTIA certs since the demand
    for them has dropped off to next to nothing.

    I too felt that I was getting my certification and it was going to last
    forever. If I'd decided to become an attorney and took my bar exam, do you
    think I need to do that again to stay an attorney? I think not. If I had
    decided to be a CPA and took the exam to be certified for that, do you
    think I'd have to do it again to stay certified? I think not.

    I think this is just an excuse for CompTIA and all the folks who provide
    the learning materials to continue to make money in an area that seems to
    be losing ground. Where I live, certs don't mean much, but a college
    degree does.

    Patty

    Patty, Jan 23, 2010
  12. Re:

    If I'd decided to become an attorney and took my bar exam, do you think
    I need to do that again to stay an attorney? I think not.

    If I had decided to be a CPA and took the exam to be certified for that,
    do you think I'd have to do it again to stay certified? I think not.

    ********

    Well, what you think is partially wrong.

    Virtually all professional certifications (including Law, CPA, Real
    Estate, Insurance, etc.) have some form of "continuing education"
    requirement in order to be able to continue practicing. And that's what
    CompTIA has done. You do NOT need to retake the exam ... NECESSARILY.
    You can get "credits" for various activities (even attending trade
    shows) that show ongoing involvement in the industry (and, presumably,
    at least exposure to updated knowledge of the industry and field).
    Taking the exam again is one way to renew your certificate but it's not
    the only way. NOTE: The details of what counts and how you get the
    credits have not yet been agreed on or posted. This is expected to made
    available in the 3rd quarter of this year. However no older
    certificates will expire until December 31, 2011.

    ALL OF THAT SAID ....

    I agree with the sentiment that even if having some form of "renewal" is
    a good thing, it is also an ILLEGAL unilateral modification of a
    contract "after the fact", by one party. And I won't be surprised if
    there is a class action lawsuit against CompTIA over this matter before
    all is said and done. They may want to do it, it might even be a good
    thing, and clearly they can do with respect to new applicants, but with
    respect to those who got the certificates when they were "good for life"
    .... I don't think that they have a legal right to do it.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 24, 2010
  13. Robert

    Bill Eitner Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:
    > On Jan 19, 8:59 pm, Bill Eitner <> wrote:
    >> walterbyrd wrote:
    >>> CompTIA deserves a class-action lawsuit.

    >> But there was always the suggestion that you
    >> keep them current if you really work in the
    >> industry.

    > What a total joke.

    You're the joke.

    > 1) The issue is not whether or not it's a good idea for certs to
    > expire, it about business ethics. If I pay for a lifetime cert, then I
    > expect to get a lifetime cert - period. If I feel that my certs need
    > to be renewed, then I can chose to renew.

    **** you--miser.

    The cert you earned had its purpose at the time.
    It's a lifetime cert as no one can take it away
    form you, but it naturally becomes dated.
    Expired, dated--what difference does it really
    make?

    > 2) Since when has that material on compia exams ever been current?
    > Comptia still tests on ms-dos, windows 3.1, config.sys, 80286s,
    > Decnet, and Appletalk.

    Bullshit. You don't know what you're talking
    about. That, in and of itself, dates you.
    Again, you're just a miser who thinks he's
    been cheated because his old dated cert doesn't
    seem as valuable as it was to begin with.

    >> And if so, doing so shouldn't be
    >> a big deal. You're in it every day.

    > The stuff actually done day to day has nothing to do the material on
    > comptia exams. Comptia exams are just arbitrary trivia.

    Again, bullshit.

    Maybe it was like that in your day, but
    it's not like that anymore. Many of the
    questions on the current A+ test are situational.
    You don't know because you don't want to know.
    You're pissed because your old cert is being
    recognized for what it is--outdated.

    >> Imagine someone who certified in the days of
    >> DOS and Mac and resource allocation memorization.
    >> They simply aren't current anymore.

    > CompTIA *still* tests on DOS and 80286s.

    Bullshit. You're making a fool of yourself.

    >> Of course I agree that some of it is CompTIA
    >> greed. It's their only business--how else are
    >> they going to bring in new money?

    > It will be interesting to see if being so brazenly dishonest brings in
    > more money. I happen to prefer dealing with companies that are a
    > little bit honest.
    >
    > Now that CompTIA exams are no longer good for life, what advantage
    > does comptia have over other exams?
    >
    > CompTIA exams have always been too expensive, now we are expected to
    > pay a $49 a year extortion . . er, "maintenance fee" I think there are
    > better deals out there.
    >
    > Want to do helpdesk? The Microsoft Certified Desktop Support
    > Technician (MCDST) is better and cheaper than an A+/Net+.
    >
    > Want to do security? The Sec+ has no advantages over the SSCP.
    > Although the CISSP is what employers really want.
    >
    > Want to do networking? Cisco puts the Net+ to shame. Why spend 0ver
    > $200 (plus maintenance fees) for the net+ when you can get a CCENT for
    > $125? Much more important: with CISCO you can start with an entry
    > level cert, and use that entry level cert to build to higher level
    > cert. Once you finish the net+, you have no where to go. All comptia
    > is entry level.
    >
    > Want to do Linux admin? The Linux+ is a joke, go with RHCE or LPIC.

    These are good points, but your earlier points have
    no merit and should have been excluded.

    Bill Eitner, Jan 24, 2010
  14. Robert

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Patty wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:21:22 -0800 (PST), walterbyrd wrote:
    >
    >> What a total joke.
    >>
    >> 1) The issue is not whether or not it's a good idea for certs to
    >> expire, it about business ethics. If I pay for a lifetime cert, then I
    >> expect to get a lifetime cert - period. If I feel that my certs need
    >> to be renewed, then I can chose to renew.
    >>
    >> 2) Since when has that material on compia exams ever been current?
    >> Comptia still tests on ms-dos, wi

    > My personal feeling is that fewer people today are working towards getting
    > CompTIA certs and thus, CompTIA has decided to try to get money out of the
    > folks who already have their certs. How do I know this? In my area, no
    > schools offer any training or education in CompTIA certs since the demand
    > for them has dropped off to next to nothing.
    >
    > I too felt that I was getting my certification and it was going to last
    > forever. If I'd decided to become an attorney and took my bar exam, do you
    > think I need to do that again to stay an attorney? I think not. If I had
    > decided to be a CPA and took the exam to be certified for that, do you
    > think I'd have to do it again to stay certified? I think not.
    >
    > I think this is just an excuse for CompTIA and all the folks who provide
    > the learning materials to continue to make money in an area that seems to
    > be losing ground. Where I live, certs don't mean much, but a college
    > degree does.

    This is a good point. Past all the bitching/crying/arguing/
    sniveling about certs, a computer science degree is always the
    real deal/best.

    Bill Eitner, Jan 24, 2010
  15. Robert

    soup Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:

    > CompTIA *still* tests on DOS and 80286s.

    Does it? I better get back to the books then, as I know naught of DOS
    or 286s.

    BTW the current A+ deals with Pentium 1 and later processors (does do a
    bit on AMD etc but the main stream seems to be Intel processors) so 286s
    & 386s are not covered. The earliest O/Ses dealt with seem to be Win
    2000/NT/XP(yes Linus et al are mentioned in the passing but generally
    Windows versions seem to be the main O/Ss dealt with).

    soup, Jan 24, 2010