    person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i
    had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    before....is it possible? thanks for your help
    needahookup, Jul 10, 2007

  2. needahookup

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 23:05:57 -0000, needahookup wrote:
    > hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    > person by their email address

    Yep, I see them in the header.

    > or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i

    Do you mean like 67.187.64.8 c-67-187-64-8.hsd1.tn.comcast.net
    Yep. it is in the header.

    > had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    > before....is it possible?

    You bet. Since you are running Mozilla on XP Home,
    click up a Command Prompt/terminal and do a
    ipconfig /all
    and see if 67.187.64.8 is your ip addy.
    Bit Twister, Jul 10, 2007

  3. needahookup

    needahookup Guest

    On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, needahookup <> wrote:
    > hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    > person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i
    > had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    > before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    wow how do u find that out? can i find that out about others easily?
    can it be hidden? what is mozilla? if im running it i am not aware of
    it....do i need to run it or should i be? or not be? thanks
    needahookup, Jul 10, 2007
  4. needahookup

    needahookup Guest

    On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, needahookup <> wrote:
    > hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    > person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i
    > had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    > before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    akso...this moron tried claiming i was posting from texas even tho i
    live in tenn. does my ip say what state im from? is it wrong? or was
    he just lying or stupid...thanks
    needahookup, Jul 10, 2007
  5. needahookup

    needahookup Guest

    On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, needahookup <> wrote:
    > hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    > person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i
    > had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    > before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    and what do u mean "in the header" ? i dont see anything with those
    numbers in it. what is the header?
    needahookup, Jul 10, 2007
  6. needahookup

    Vanguard Guest

    "needahookup" wrote in message

    > akso...this moron tried claiming i was posting from texas even tho i
    > live in tenn. does my ip say what state im from? is it wrong? or was
    > he just lying or stupid...thanks

    It depends on how much anyone bothers digging into your IP information.
    Go look at:

    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ipall.ch?ip=67.187.64.8

    That's some of the typical info about your IP address. You are posting
    through Comcast. The registrant's info shows that IP address belongs to
    Comcast and that *Comcast* listed their headquarters in Texas. However,
    your IP name (from your IP address) is
    c-67-187-64-8.hsd1.tn.comcast.net. The ".tn." means that you are
    posting from a regional hub for Comcast that is located in Tenn.

    Be careful who you're calling the moron. The "moron" was able to find
    more than info that you could, and since you are more ignorant than this
    so-called moron then what does that make you?
    Vanguard, Jul 10, 2007
  7. needahookup

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    > person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i
    > had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    > before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    Depends on the program you use to communicate with.

    EMail doesn't always show where you were connected, but it will show the
    server you sent through.

    Chat and IM can sometimes give you away depending on the IM/Chat
    software.

    Newsgroup - most post some form of tracking info, and IP that you posted
    from is very common.

    There is nothing to worry about as long as you practice proper security
    and are not doing anything that is illegal or unethical.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
    3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
    not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
    googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.
    Leythos, Jul 10, 2007
  8. needahookup

    needahookup Guest

    On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, needahookup <> wrote:
    > hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    > person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i
    > had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    > before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    first of all...i call him a moron because he decided for no reason to
    spout off that i was not from tenn. my ip address showed him i was
    from texas, as if i cared or even knew him, and as u have already
    stated he wasnt even correct. those 2 things make him a dumb dickhead
    in my book. he had to comment for no purpose on something he didnt
    know the facts on....kinda like u did....
    needahookup, Jul 10, 2007
  9. needahookup

    needahookup Guest

    On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, needahookup <> wrote:
    > hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    > person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i
    > had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    > before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    where does it show? i dont see anything like that on my screen, how do
    u see it? can it be hidden? thanks
    needahookup, Jul 10, 2007
  10. needahookup <> (07-07-09 23:05:57):

    > hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    > person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i
    > had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    > before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    To understand this, it is advantageous to know how communication over
    the internet works. You are using a program to communicate to someone
    else, who also uses a program, maybe the same, maybe something similar
    or at least compatible.

    If you are communicating to some other user in the internet, then both
    end-points are called peers. A peer always knows the IP address of the
    other peer. Peer-to-peer connections are typical for all sorts of
    instant messaging programs, where it would be unnecessary and too
    expensive to route all the user traffic through some central entity.

    Much more common, however, is the client/server-model. Again two
    programs are connecting together, but this time, one of the programs is
    a client program (the user), and one is the server program. This is
    common for situations, where multiple users connect to a central point
    (a service) to communicate to each other, or to just send and/or receive
    some kind of information. This is common for web-browsing, emailing,
    chatting in chat-rooms, and so on.

    In the latter case, it really depends on how much information about you
    the server sends along to other clients. In many cases, your client
    does that as well. This is neither unreasonable, nor a security issue.
    It's just a matter of how things are specified. For example, your email
    server is supposed to attach host-name information to the message (this
    includes your IP address).

    To your second question, your IP address itself does contain a certain
    amount of information about you. It contains information about your
    provider, your country, and likely one can deduce some more accurate
    location information from it. How much information is disclosed really
    depends on your provider, but at least the provider itself and your
    country will be known. Though for most providers that's about it.

    More information can be found out by actually doing something with the
    IP address. For example, tracing it will give information about where
    the nearest router is from you (this can be as inaccurate as a country,
    but also as accurate as a city). Scanning your host may even provide
    information about your operating system or programs you are running.

    Now don't panic. These informations are no security issues so far.
    Just as well as other people can look at what clothes you're wearing,
    other internet users can (likely) find out your operating system. And
    as with clothing, there's little you could do about it. They will not
    know your name or your home address, unless you tell them yourself.

    Regards,
    Ertugrul Söylemez.

    --
    Security is the one concept, which makes things in your life stay as
    they are. Otto is a man, who is afraid of changes in his life; so
    Ertugrul Soeylemez, Jul 10, 2007
  11. needahookup

    needahookup Guest

    On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, needahookup <> wrote:
    > hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    > person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i
    > had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    > before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    thanks for that information....so how does another user on this group
    go about seeing my ip address? by the way ur correct i have comcast
    and somhow when u trace my ip it shows my city as well...im not
    concerned about it at all just curious, but i dont know how to
    actually get the ip number of another user, or how they see
    mine...thanks again
    needahookup, Jul 10, 2007
  12. needahookup <> (07-07-09 19:36:56):

    > thanks for that information....so how does another user on this group
    > go about seeing my ip address? by the way ur correct i have comcast
    > and somhow when u trace my ip it shows my city as well...im not
    > concerned about it at all just curious, but i dont know how to
    > actually get the ip number of another user, or how they see
    > mine...thanks again

    Please reply to posts properly, i.e. click the "Reply to author" button
    for the appropriate post, if you're using Google Groups.

    Newsgroup messages are essentially emails, which are addressed to a
    group instead of to another email address. In other words, they contain
    the same information as email messages, and are syntactically
    equivalent.

    Regards,
    Ertugrul Söylemez.

    Ertugrul Soeylemez, Jul 10, 2007
  13. needahookup

    > On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, needahookup <> wrote:
    >> hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    >> person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts?
    >> had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    >> before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    > first of all...i call him a moron because he decided for no reason to
    > spout off that i was not from tenn. my ip address showed him i was
    > from texas, as if i cared or even knew him, and as u have already
    > stated he wasnt even correct. those 2 things make him a dumb dickhead
    > in my book. he had to comment for no purpose on something he didnt
    > know the facts on....kinda like u did....

    Are you corresponding with this person via e-mail? If so, and if they
    got your e-mail address from here (which you show as
    ) then you have exposed your true e-mail address to
    spambots that harvest e-mail addresses from newsgroups. Learn to munge.

    If this "moron" is posting into the newsgroups, I certainly cannot see
    any posts of anyone talking about Texas or Tennessee (other yours to
    which I replied). I even went to Google Groups to look at the thread
    (http://tinyurl.com/ytwjmj) in case whomever you were ticked off at
    happened to be in my killfile which meant that I wouldn't see their
    post. Nope, still don't see a post from this "moron". You are talking
    to someone that no one else can see (well, that I can't see).
    Vanguard, Jul 10, 2007
  14. needahookup

    > On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, needahookup <> wrote:
    >> hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    >> person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts?
    >> had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    >> before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    > where does it show? i dont see anything like that on my screen, how do
    > u see it? can it be hidden? thanks

    Since you are not replying to the author of whatever is their post, no
    one know to whom you are responding. All your replies are going under
    your starter post, not under to whomever you intended to reply.
    Vanguard, Jul 10, 2007
  15. needahookup

    Kwon Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 19:27:04 -0500, Vanguard wrote:

    > "needahookup" wrote in message
    >>
    >> akso...this moron tried claiming i was posting from texas even tho i
    >> live in tenn. does my ip say what state im from? is it wrong? or was he
    >> just lying or stupid...thanks

    > It depends on how much anyone bothers digging into your IP information.
    > Go look at:
    >
    > http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ipall.ch?ip=67.187.64.8

    There's other ways too, that sometimes gives more accurate hits.

    http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity
    Kwon, Jul 10, 2007
  16. needahookup

    Vanguard Guest

    "Kwon" wrote in message news:p...

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >>
    >> It depends on how much anyone bothers digging into your IP
    >> information.
    >> Go look at:
    >>
    >> http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ipall.ch?ip=67.187.64.8

    > There's other ways too, that sometimes gives more accurate hits.
    >
    > http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity

    I'm not using a lookup tool for IP address info that requires the
    installation of a program, especially one that is bait for
    commercialware (for prices see
    http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_features). A big no thanks.

    So when you enter 67.187.64.8 as the IP address to trace, what do YOU
    get when using this locally installed tracer program? Somehow I can't
    see any tracer program finding anything further than the boundary host
    at a company or ISP since corporate networks are (or should be)
    protected to prevent you from walking through their internal network.
    When the tracer gets to 67.187.64.8, that is the boundary host at
    Comcast in Texas, and you don't get to scan their internal network to
    find that it then goes to their hub center in Tennessee. However, the
    reverse DNS shows the IP name and Comcast, like some other ISPs, will
    identify the region for the hub within the IP name, but anyone doing a
    simple reverse DNS can see that, too.
    Vanguard, Jul 10, 2007
  17. needahookup

    Tim Jackson Guest

    needahookup wrote:
    > On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, needahookup <> wrote:
    >> hi, does anyone know if its possible to obtain the ip address of a
    >> person by their email address or their id in a chatroom or ng posts? i
    >> had someone claim they got mine this way and i have heard of this
    >> before....is it possible? thanks for your help

    > thanks for that information....so how does another user on this group
    > go about seeing my ip address?

    From your point of view, as a poster via Google Groups, you click on
    "More Options" and "Show Original". Those using a Usenet account and a
    browser such as Thunderbird, it's View/Headers/All, or similar. The
    same applies to email.

    Those methods show you all the headers on the post or mail, most of
    which are normally hidden.

    Tim Jackson
    Tim Jackson, Jul 10, 2007
  18. needahookup

    Kwon Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 03:24:55 -0500, Vanguard wrote:

    > "Kwon" wrote in message news:p...
    >>
    >> Vanguard wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It depends on how much anyone bothers digging into your IP
    >>> information.
    >>> Go look at:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ipall.ch?ip=67.187.64.8

    >> There's other ways too, that sometimes gives more accurate hits.
    >>
    >> http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity

    > I'm not using a lookup tool for IP address info that requires the
    > installation of a program, especially one that is bait for
    > commercialware (for prices see
    > http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_features). A big no thanks.

    Well, the only thing I needed was the database and a script that could
    read from it.

    > So when you enter 67.187.64.8 as the IP address to trace, what do YOU
    > get when using this locally installed tracer program?

    Carrollton. Which seems to not be accurate this time. Geolite is actually
    free while the "big version" costs money, but the service still are
    dependent on users sending correct data to them.

    Sometimes, a regular traceroute works fine too...

    13 te-6-1-ar01.sharpsridge.tn.knox.comcast.net <snip>
    14 te-8-1-ur01.west.tn.knox.comcast.net <snip>

    .... where "tn" may be "tenn"? But such traces may require a bit more
    guessing. Not reliable, in other words.
    Kwon, Jul 10, 2007
  19. needahookup

    Vanguard Guest

    "Kwon" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 03:24:55 -0500, Vanguard wrote:

    >>> There's other ways too, that sometimes gives more accurate hits.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecity

    >> I'm not using a lookup tool for IP address info that requires the
    >> installation of a program, especially one that is bait for
    >> commercialware (for prices see
    >> http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_features). A big no thanks.

    > Well, the only thing I needed was the database and a script that could
    > read from it.
    >
    >> So when you enter 67.187.64.8 as the IP address to trace, what do YOU
    >> get when using this locally installed tracer program?

    > Carrollton. Which seems to not be accurate this time.

    So it got to the same point as anyone looking up the registration for
    the domain.

    > Geolite is actually
    > free while the "big version" costs money, but the service still are
    > dependent on users sending correct data to them.

    Oh, I see how it works. You download their database. You have to
    repeatedly download their database to stay up to date but there is an
    update function in their code (which you need to download). If you use
    their script then you need to download the C library (i.e., code). I
    didn't see anything particularly nasty but I only glanced over a couple
    of the main C code files.

    "We obtain the known IP location pairs from sites that ask the web
    visitor to provide their geographic location." So they help collect
    your personal info or collude with other sites to socially engineer you
    into divulging that info. For example, when you register at a site, say
    to join a forum, the questions include city, state, zip, etc. which then
    eventually get distributed by that site to a 3rd party, like to MaxMind.
    However, the IP address is often dynamic which means someone else will
    eventually get it but the trick is that IP address ranges are often
    delegated in a specific region by the ISP (i.e., their IP pool at their
    regional hub always uses the same IP range for those customers).

    So here we have a prime example of where you might think your personal
    information is private and known only to the site at which you
    registered and divulged your personal info (i.e., location) but instead
    it gets passed onto 3rd parties that buy the personal info, like MaxMind
    whose intent is to lure you to their paid services to access that info.
    So be damn sure to read the TOS at a web site when registering there to
    see what they do with the personal info you give them. They could be
    selling it off to "affiliates", like MaxMind.

    "By accurately pinpointing the location of Internet customers and
    visitors by country, geographic region, down to the granular detail of
    city in real-time, MaxMind enables online businesses to have a valuable
    marketing tool as well as the ability to customize their websites to
    better serve clients."

    Online businesses with which I deal already have my personal info. If I
    order from Newegg then obviously they have to know where to ship the
    order. So these "online businesses" is a euphemism for spammers
    (probably web sites) that want to target their pitch based on your
    location.

    So, yeah, they have a free service but realize how they got that info
    and to whom they are reselling it. While the lookup doesn't reveal your
    info, you could check if they managed to already get it through other
    venues.

    > Sometimes, a regular traceroute works fine too...
    >
    > 13 te-6-1-ar01.sharpsridge.tn.knox.comcast.net <snip>
    > 14 te-8-1-ur01.west.tn.knox.comcast.net <snip>
    >
    > ... where "tn" may be "tenn"? But such traces may require a bit more
    > guessing. Not reliable, in other words.

    Traceroute not required. All it did was show the .tn in the IP name
    which was already discernable from the nslookup.
    Vanguard, Jul 10, 2007