Question about interference and Wireless Channel Assignment

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by HOESan, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. HOESan

    HOESan Guest

    Wireless connectivity is getting popular. I just bought a new
    computer and have it connecting via wireless from an upstairs bedroom
    to the downstairs Linksys wireless router. I notice that I generally
    get about 500Kbyte/sec data transfer. But on ocassion I will lose
    the link and there is a diagnostic that suggests interferrence on the
    channel as a potential reason.

    I have now seen three other signals with differing Identifiers along
    with my own. Now all my computers are using Channel 6. That is the
    way Linsys shipped and I saw no reason to change. Now my question is
    this. The three other signals that I am seeing identified on my
    computer as potential wireless connections -- are they also on Channel
    6 by definition. Maybe all the neighbors left their systems set to
    the default channel as did I.

    I even found that my system had these potential connections from the
    neighborhood in a priority list and mine was not even at the top. I
    removed the others and now only mine appears and since I did that I no
    longer have dropped off line. However, I notice drastic changes in
    the data transfer rate from time to time. Perhaps that is due to
    interference.

    If I change my entire system to a different channel, would that lessen
    the interference that I am experiencing? Just asking to make sure it
    is not a wasted effort.

    Howard of San Diego

    HOESan, Aug 30, 2004

  2. HOESan

    Mac Guest

    Getting away from the default channel 6 would likely address the
    periodic interference problem. The usual recommendation is to use
    channels 10 or 11. With your neighbors using wireless, I hope you are
    using encryption of some kind, either WEP or WPA. It also helps to do
    MAC filtering when so many other wireless nets are within contact
    distance of your net.

    Mac, Aug 30, 2004

  3. HOESan

    Guest Guest

    Get away from cahnnel 6 as soon as possible...
    Everyone leaves their wireless Ap on the default channel
    and this creates a bunch of problems, especially in
    apartment blocks.
    You system will work a lot better on a channel as far
    away from channel 6 as possible (I use channel 11)...
    Also be aware that while you move around while sitting
    behind your computer can cause reflections in the signal
    strenght, and could even cancel out you wireless signal.
    This is especially true if the signal is marginal already.
    Try to move your wireless connection about 1/2 wavelength
    if this occurs (6 cm or 2 inches).

    Guest, Aug 30, 2004
  4. HOESan

    Lance Guest

    I ran across a very nice little wireless diagnostic tool called
    NetStumbler. Among other things, it will list all the wireless networks
    your card is picking AND their channel number.

    You may be able to find a range of channels that are unoccupied and pick
    one that's furthest away from the crowd.

    http://www.netstumbler.com/

    Lance
    *****

    Lance, Sep 3, 2004
  5. HOESan

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    If another Wireless Signal is propagating in your reception area it might
    appear in your available Wireless Network. Using the basic measures of
    security might insure that others can not use your signal and vice versa.

    Your self and or a very close neighbor using 2.4GHz Phone might mean trouble
    for every one around.

    In addition to Wireless. 2.4GHz phones leaky Microwave ovens an any other
    appliance the are working within your Reception Area might interfere too.

    Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Sep 4, 2004