    is there any way to download and install linux from a site (ubuntu for
    example) and then delete windows entirely and doing this without burning
    on disk or using a usb thumb drive?
    Muse Gruppes, Dec 10, 2010

  2. Muse Gruppes

    Mike Easter Guest

    Muse Gruppes wrote:
    > is there any way to download and install linux from a site (ubuntu for
    > example) and then delete windows entirely and doing this without burning
    > on disk or using a usb thumb drive?

    Yes.

    What exactly are your parameters, such as resources (other computers,
    local network, etc) and why can't you do it the way most people do it?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 10, 2010

  3. Muse Gruppes

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Dec 10, 2010
  4. Muse Gruppes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 06:30:41 -0500, Muse Gruppes wrote:

    > is there any way to download and install linux from a site (ubuntu for
    > example) and then delete windows entirely and doing this without burning
    > on disk or using a usb thumb drive?

    You already asked this. Once was enough.

    Meat Plow, Dec 10, 2010
  5. On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:56:20 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 06:30:41 -0500, Muse Gruppes wrote:
    >
    >> is there any way to download and install linux from a site (ubuntu for
    >> example) and then delete windows entirely and doing this without burning
    >> on disk or using a usb thumb drive?

    >Yes.

    Perhaps the question was not: "Is there a way... ?"
    but: "How... ?"
    Raymond Schmit, Dec 11, 2010
  6. Muse Gruppes

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:31:23 +0000, Raymond Schmit wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:56:20 GMT, Aardvark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 06:30:41 -0500, Muse Gruppes wrote:
    >>
    >>> is there any way to download and install linux from a site (ubuntu for
    >>> example) and then delete windows entirely and doing this without
    >>> burning on disk or using a usb thumb drive?

    >>Yes.

    > Perhaps the question was not: "Is there a way... ?" but: "How... ?"

    I think you've got it right now.

    Well done.

    Aardvark, Dec 11, 2010
  7. Muse Gruppes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:54:22 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:31:23 +0000, Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:56:20 GMT, Aardvark <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Yes.

    >> Perhaps the question was not: "Is there a way... ?" but: "How... ?"

    > I think you've got it right now.
    >
    > Well done.

    We used to always do net installs of our BSD firewall/MTA boxes.
    However a full install of a full featured GUI driven OS is a few
    gigabytes. Not practical for people (still the majority) who have
    no access to high speed internet.

    Meat Plow, Dec 12, 2010
  8. Muse Gruppes

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:04:49 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:54:22 +0000, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:31:23 +0000, Raymond Schmit wrote:

    >>> Perhaps the question was not: "Is there a way... ?" but: "How... ?"

    >> I think you've got it right now.
    >>
    >> Well done.

    > We used to always do net installs of our BSD firewall/MTA boxes. However
    > a full install of a full featured GUI driven OS is a few gigabytes. Not
    > practical for people (still the majority) who have no access to high
    > speed internet.

    I've done it a few times over my home network here from an ISO on my
    headless server in a cupboard upstairs, just for shits and giggles. I
    know what you mean. Even with my LAN there are bottlenecks here and there
    that make the process seem much slower than using a CD/DVD or USB stick.

    Aardvark, Dec 12, 2010