    --
    We sleep peacefully in our Beds becuase Rough men Stand Ready in the Night
    to visit Violence on those who would do Us Harm......G.Orwell
    John T McDougald, Jun 4, 2005

  2. John T McDougald

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    John T McDougald wrote:
    > I am looking to buy a DVD burner for my Gateway 500S series computer.
    > I think everything my system only uses the IDE type interface but I am not
    > certain. I have seen some Dual Layer DVD burners that were listed as being
    > ATA type, and they are a few dollars cheaper than the IDE type.
    > Can someone tell me how to Identify the connector types for my system
    > and also whether I can get a ATA to work with an IDE type interface?

    ATA and IDE are the same things John.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jun 4, 2005

  3. John T McDougald

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:09:22 +0000, John T McDougald wrote:

    > I am looking to buy a DVD burner for my Gateway 500S series
    > computer.
    > I think everything my system only uses the IDE type interface but I am
    > not certain. I have seen some Dual Layer DVD burners that were listed
    > as being ATA type, and they are a few dollars cheaper than the IDE type.
    > Can someone tell me how to Identify the connector types for my
    > system
    > and also whether I can get a ATA to work with an IDE type interface?
    >
    > Thanks
    > John T McDougald

    ATA and IDE are terms used interchangeably, unless your refering to
    SerialATA (or SATA.) Are there SATA DVD Burners out there? I havn't
    noticed any.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jun 4, 2005
  4. John T McDougald

    Josh Randall Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:09:22 +0000, John T McDougald wrote:
    > ATA and IDE are terms used interchangeably, unless your refering to
    > SerialATA (or SATA.) Are there SATA DVD Burners out there? I havn't
    > noticed any.

    Yep. And I just got one from newegg.com for $49. An NEC with 300 reviews.
    All good. This is OEM, so you can get freeware or buy Nero for it.
    Josh Randall, Jun 4, 2005
  5. John T McDougald

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 15:59:10 +0000, Josh Randall wrote:

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:09:22 +0000, John T McDougald wrote:
    >> ATA and IDE are terms used interchangeably, unless your refering to
    >> SerialATA (or SATA.) Are there SATA DVD Burners out there? I havn't
    >> noticed any.

    > Yep. And I just got one from newegg.com for $49. An NEC with 300 reviews.
    > All good. This is OEM, so you can get freeware or buy Nero for it.

    They're only listing three models of Plextor at the moment. All in the
    $100 price range. I wonder where the rest of them went? Do you have any
    thoughts on the SATA vs EIDE interface as far as speed and reliability
    with your NEC?
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jun 6, 2005