Question about "hidden" pop-up window opened by Google search pages

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by S Claus, May 16, 2009.

  1. S Claus

    S Claus Guest

    Hi all

    firstly apologies if this is not exactly the topic of the posted
    discussion group. The group "comp.lang.java.javascript" is an archived
    group so I could not post there.

    I have been using the Opera web browser to access Google with the
    error console enabled, and typically get an error message that says
    something like this:

    Event thread: blur
    Error: name: TypeError
    message: Statement on line 25: Cannot convert undefined or null to
    Object
    Backtrace:
    Line 25 of linked script
    http://www.google.com.sg/extern_js/...ywrMCU4yYgBLCswJjgELCswJzgALA/SnaknA3X_Ck.js:
    In function R
    function R(){if(G){window.clearTimeout(G);G=e}
    y.visibility="hidden";}
    --------------------------

    Since it seems that Google could be attempting open an invisible pop-
    up window, there are two questions I wanted to ask about this:

    A. is there any software that can be used to force hidden windows to
    be visible?
    B. how can user know if a hidden window has actually been closed after
    the user has left the site?

    Question B is because pop-up windows can be used to track user
    behavior (as long as the pop-up is open) and I am interested of seeing
    what users can do to limit their usage.

    Thanks in advance,

    S Claus, May 16, 2009

  2. S Claus

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Fri, 15 May 2009 19:33:33 -0700 (PDT), S Claus
    <> wrote:

    >Since it seems that Google could be attempting open an invisible pop-
    >up window, there are two questions I wanted to ask about this:

    >B. how can user know if a hidden window has actually been closed after
    >the user has left the site?

    TCPView will tell you that.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, May 16, 2009

  3. Thor Kottelin, May 18, 2009
  4. "Thor Kottelin" <> wrote in message
    > "Gerard Bok" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 May 2009 19:33:33 -0700 (PDT), S Claus
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>B. how can user know if a hidden window has actually been closed after
    >>>the user has left the site?

    >> TCPView will tell you that.

    > In the same sense as "netstat -abn"?

    Oops. s/-abn/-abv/

    Thor

    Thor Kottelin, May 18, 2009
  5. S Claus

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Mon, 18 May 2009 23:20:41 +0300, "Thor Kottelin"
    <> wrote:

    >"Thor Kottelin" <> wrote in message
    >> "Gerard Bok" <> wrote in message

    >>> TCPView will tell you that.