    missing 20gb.

    any ideas?

    Thanks

    oioi, May 23, 2004

  2. oioi

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "oioi" <> wrote in message
    news:40b0aa38$0$2113$...
    > anyone know why my 300gb drive only shows up as a 280gb drive in windows?
    >
    > I have tried formatting it a couple times and checking the disk management
    > to make sure there is no unallocated space etc. But somewhere it seems Im
    > missing 20gb.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have no answers for you, except that I rarely come across hard drives with
    the exact amount of advertised space. 20GB raises a few eyebrows though,
    since that's a lot of space to have missing! I'd be curious to know what
    your BIOS says. Does it report anything different than what Windows is
    telling you about the drive?

    PlazticSoul, May 24, 2004

  3. oioi

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "Will Dormann" <> wrote in message
    > oioi wrote:
    >
    > > anyone know why my 300gb drive only shows up as a 280gb drive in

    windows?

    > > I have tried formatting it a couple times and checking the disk

    management
    > > to make sure there is no unallocated space etc. But somewhere it seems

    Im
    > > missing 20gb.

    > First, It's GB, not gb. There is a very significant difference between
    > "b"(its) and "B"(ytes) when it comes to computers.
    >
    > Hard drive manufacturers consider a Gigabyte to be 1,000,000,000 bytes.
    > Operating systems consider a Gigabyte to be 1,073,741,824 bytes.
    > There's your 20GB.
    >

    > -WD

    Wow, somewhere when studying for A+ Core I must have missed that bit of
    information. I knew a GB wasn't exactly 1,000,000,000 bytes like average
    people assume, and therefore space is always presumed "missing" on every
    drive, but I didn't realize the manufacturors perpetuate the idea! Good
    thing that wasn't on the test for me :)

    PlazticSoul, May 24, 2004
  4. oioi

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "PlazticSoul" <> wrote in message

    > "oioi" <> wrote in message
    > > anyone know why my 300gb drive only shows up as a 280gb drive in

    windows?

    > > I have tried formatting it a couple times and checking the disk

    management
    > > to make sure there is no unallocated space etc. But somewhere it seems

    Im
    > > missing 20gb.
    > >
    > > any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > I have no answers for you, except that I rarely come across hard drives

    with
    > the exact amount of advertised space. 20GB raises a few eyebrows though,
    > since that's a lot of space to have missing! I'd be curious to know what
    > your BIOS says. Does it report anything different than what Windows is
    > telling you about the drive?

    Bah, please disregard this post. I just assumed 20gb was an unusually large
    amount. I failed to actually do the math. I am used to my tiny 80gb drive :)

    PlazticSoul, May 24, 2004