Question about flash card- Canon A60 w/16MB

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by KOS, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. KOS

    KOS Guest

    Hi, I recently purchased a Canon A60 digital camera about a month ago.
    The camera is great but now I must upgrade to more memory. I've
    noticed that I get about 24 shots - then the card is full. The card I
    use is the 16mb one that came with the camera. On the camera all my
    shots are in the automatic mode- I guess 24 shots is about right for
    16mb on the automatic mode??

    Any how, I was told that I should upgrade to the SimpleTech STI-CF
    128MB compact flash card. Does anyone know how many more pictures I
    will get with this card? Again with the A60 on the automatic mode.

    Is it ok to have two cards so that when my 128 gets full I can then
    switch it to the 16mb? will there be any damage doing so? Is that the
    norm where people have back up memory so then wont miss shots (on
    vacations etc...)

    I'm new to digital cameras so I'd appreciate your input.
    Thanks K
    KOS, Dec 1, 2003

  2. KOS

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Shooting in the same mode simply do the arithmetic. You can swap cards in
    and out, but read manual for numbering details if card is not empty.
    Automatic or other modes do not determine picture size, resolution and
    compression do. I use max resolution and superfine with my A40, although
    darned if I can see any difference between fine and superfine.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 1, 2003

  3. KOS wrote:
    > shots are in the automatic mode- I guess 24 shots is about right for
    > 16mb on the automatic mode??

    Sounds about right for 2MP camera.

    > Any how, I was told that I should upgrade to the SimpleTech STI-CF
    > 128MB compact flash card. Does anyone know how many more pictures I
    > will get with this card? Again with the A60 on the automatic mode.

    128MB / 16MB = 8. If you get 24 shots on 16MB then you can multiply by
    8 to see about how many shots you would get on 128MB. 8 * 24 is 192
    pictures give or take a few.

    Yes, you can switch cards. I have three 512MB cards for my camera.
    When one gets full, I swap it out and put in an empty one. Just like
    putting in a new roll of film.

    128MB cards are CHEAP. Get two if you can, or get one 256MB card. 16MB
    is pretty limiting these days depending on how much you shoot.
    Andrew McDonald, Dec 1, 2003
  4. KOS

    CARBUFF Guest

    >Any how, I was told that I should upgrade to the SimpleTech STI-CF
    >128MB compact flash card. Does anyone know how many more pictures I
    >will get with this card? Again with the A60 on the automatic mode.

    Hi, I have an a60. I have a 128 mb card too. I get 123 pics. I have all the
    settings set for largest quality and superfine compression. It doesnt matter
    which mode youre in. You just have to set all the modes for the same quality
    settings I think the auto, picmodes, and creative modes need to be set
    seperately. If you go from one mode to another and the picture count changes,
    it just means that that mode is set to a different compression than the other
    one. I have them all set the same.

    >Is it ok to have two cards so that when my 128 gets full I can then
    >switch it to the 16mb? will there be any damage doing so? Is that the
    >norm where people have back up memory so then wont miss shots (on
    >vacations etc...)

    Yes this is a common thing. You have the right idea.

    George
    CARBUFF, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Hi, I can put about 122 pictures on my 128MB card in my A60 using superfine at
    max resolution.

    Tim.

    Timothy Lange, Dec 2, 2003