    browser. I'm curious, does Mozilla or some responsible party examine these
    programs first before they are released to the general public? Every time I
    install an extension, I get a warning that it is unsigned.
    History Fan, Jun 19, 2005

  2. If you got them from Mozilla or a site that Mozilla.org Likes, then
    it's fine.
    poly-p man
    =?iso-8859-1?B?/vOh/y3e9SH9IG1A8Q==?=, Jun 20, 2005

  3. History Fan

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:41:35 -0400, "History Fan"
    <> spake thusly:

    > There are dozens and dozens of extensions available for the Firefox
    >browser. I'm curious, does Mozilla or some responsible party examine these
    >programs first before they are released to the general public? Every time I
    >install an extension, I get a warning that it is unsigned.

    That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. It's
    either digitally signed by the person who wrote it.

    --

    Pastor Dave

    Silence in the Face of Doctrinal Criticism is Suicide

    http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/solution.html

    http://tinyurl.com/ce97m
    Pastor Dave, Jun 20, 2005
  4. History Fan wrote:
    > There are dozens and dozens of extensions available for the Firefox
    > browser. I'm curious, does Mozilla or some responsible party examine these
    > programs first before they are released to the general public? Every time I
    > install an extension, I get a warning that it is unsigned.

    Extensions found on addons.mozilla.org are briefly checked to make sure
    they don't have any obvious problems, but other than that there isn't
    currently a lot of oversight. It's something we're encouraging MoFo to
    work on, but they really don't have the manpower right now to both
    develop and do the extensive testing required to verify every extension
    that comes down the pipe.

    I believe extensionsmirror.nl also does some quality checking before
    putting stuff up (and their list is much more complete than the official
    site), but I doubt they're very thorough about it either.

    However, don't let the lack of security certificates bother you, not
    even the extensions made by Mozilla themselves are signed. Many people
    have downloaded most of the available extensions, and while there have
    been problems with some of them destabilizing the browser, no one's ever
    reported any actual malware.

    --
    Ryukage
    Damian Dollahite, Jun 20, 2005