    Thanks in advance,

    Mike

    , Jan 15, 2008

  2. Hi
    The number that appears on the Wireless connection window is taken from the
    Drivers and does Not represent the real "Speed" of transfer.
    3Mb/sec is a typical (on the low side) 802.11b performance.
    Given that you have 7Mb/sec. Internet and that WEP id highly insecure, you
    should get a new 802.11g card.
    If your PC is a desktop this card is good and inexpensive, -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 15, 2008

  3. Guest

    Thanks for the response Jack; your advice should prove helpful. I
    have another device (XBOX 360) on the network which I frequently use
    to play video/movies from a share on my PC. That being said, I
    imagine it would be to my advantage bump the speed up to 54 Mb/sec.
    I'll pick one up at Futureshop after work and post my results.

    , Jan 15, 2008
  4. Suzy Guest

    I'm only a newbie myself but I think I can help.

    1) WEP is insufficient.

    2) What Internet speed do you get with a wired connection? The speed of the
    wireless card will not increase the overall connection speed. The quoted
    speed is the point at which that link in the chain becomes the limiting
    factor.

    Suzy, Jan 15, 2008
  5. Guest

    Suzy,

    Thanks for the info; I'll definitely have to take WEP out of the
    picture. I've done some reading on my own that would suggest the
    same; it's too bad that Rogers made the suggestion in the first place
    although the representative that assisted me didn't seem to be too
    concerned about my computers security. I'm guessing WPA is my
    alternative?

    My wired connection runs at my cable modems full potential (7 Mb/
    sec). I do understand that the wireless connection will not boost
    performance but I expected that an 11 Mb/sec wireless card would give
    me at least the 7 Mb/sec. I believe Jack has pushed me in the right
    direction; I'm going to upgrade my wireless card tonight and see how
    it goes. Thanks for the response.
    Mike

    , Jan 15, 2008
  6. Suzy Guest

    Hi Mike

    Glad what I wrote was some use. Yes WPA is apparently infinitely better that
    WEP!

    Suzy, Jan 15, 2008
  7. Guest

    The new 802.11g wireless card help a bit, I'm up to 3.5 Mb/sec (and I
    verified it's using "g" not "b"). I'm going to take a closer look at
    the individual settings tonight, I just can't understand why a 54 Mb/
    sec card peeks at 3.5 Mb/sec. Being that my connection strenght is
    100%, would anyone have anymore suggestions for troubleshooting?

    FYI, I also disabled security all together (just don't broadcast my
    SSID) just to make sure that wasn't the bottleneck but no luck.

    , Jan 16, 2008