Question About DVDs- whether to buy widescreen vs full screen

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by damnfine, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. damnfine

    damnfine Guest

    "KOS" wrote:
    > Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
    > One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
    > Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
    > adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
    >
    > I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.

    Widescreen.

    --
    /^\damnfine/^\
    "Where is Richard Nixon when we finally need him?"

    KOS, Jan 2, 2005

  3. damnfine

    fuzzy1 Guest

    "KOS" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
    > One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
    > Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
    > adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
    >
    > I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
    > Thanks
    > KOS

    Widescreen definitely widescreen
    fuzzy1, Jan 3, 2005
  4. damnfine

    kaydigi Guest

    "KOS" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
    > One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
    > Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
    > adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
    >
    > I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
    > Thanks
    > KOS

    Only Widescreen. Never fullscreen unless it's the Orginal Aspect Ratio.
    kaydigi, Jan 3, 2005
  5. damnfine

    Mike Kohary Guest

    KOS wrote:
    > Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
    > One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
    > Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance?

    Just your own, but widescreen is vastly preferred by most movie collectors.
    Full screen movies tend to be cropped and missing a lot of picture
    information on the sides.

    Mike Kohary, Jan 3, 2005
  6. damnfine

    Mark B. Guest

    "KOS" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
    > One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
    > Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
    > adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
    >
    > I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
    > Thanks
    > KOS

    Widescreen. Pan & Scan movies chop the sides off to make the image "fit" a
    4:3 TV. I'm perfectly happy watching widescreen on my 27" 4:3 set.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jan 3, 2005
  7. damnfine

    Tim923 Guest

    Most DVD film enthusiasts prefer widescreen, since the full screen
    version cuts off 25-45% of the movie.

    Take a look at Grease's full screen vs. wide screen comparison.
    http://www.geocities.com/obsessivetougafan/grease.html
    I had no idea how much I was missing watching the HBO/VHS versions.
    To be fair, the comparison should have probably shown the widescreen
    version as the small size required to fit on the 4:3 TV, but it still
    makes the point.
    Tim923, Jan 3, 2005
  8. damnfine

    Tim923 Guest

    The widescreen version is also a good investment for the future, when
    16:9 TVs are expected to be cheaper and common.
    Tim923, Jan 3, 2005
  9. damnfine

    MauiJNP Guest

    "Tim923" <> wrote in message
    > Most DVD film enthusiasts prefer widescreen, since the full screen
    > version cuts off 25-45% of the movie.
    >
    > Take a look at Grease's full screen vs. wide screen comparison.
    > http://www.geocities.com/obsessivetougafan/grease.html
    > I had no idea how much I was missing watching the HBO/VHS versions.
    > To be fair, the comparison should have probably shown the widescreen
    > version as the small size required to fit on the 4:3 TV, but it still
    > makes the point.

    this is what I don't get....

    when I play a dvd with both versions on it, it looks the same in both modes.
    none of the picture is cut off. I try time and time again to notice a
    difference but I never do.
    MauiJNP, Jan 3, 2005
  10. damnfine

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    KOS wrote:
    > Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
    > One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
    > Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
    > adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
    >
    > I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
    > Thanks
    > KOS

    choose what you want. I prefer widescreen because since "standard" TVs
    are shaped differently from "standard" movies, the choice is to either
    have a smaller picture with black bars that contain all the frame or a
    larger picture with parts of the frame chopped off. Most movie fans seem
    to prefer OAR (original aspect ratio) which is how the movie was made
    originally, typically widescreen for most movies since the early fifties
    and full screen for most older movies and most TV shows.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Jan 3, 2005
  11. damnfine

    Tim923 Guest

    >this is what I don't get....
    >
    >when I play a dvd with both versions on it, it looks the same in both modes.
    >none of the picture is cut off. I try time and time again to notice a
    >difference but I never do.

    See open matte: http://www.adynco.com/image3.htm

    Sometimes full screen actually shows more picture, but it's
    extraneous.
    Tim923, Jan 3, 2005
  12. damnfine

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    MauiJNP wrote:
    > "Tim923" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Most DVD film enthusiasts prefer widescreen, since the full screen
    >>version cuts off 25-45% of the movie.
    >>
    >>Take a look at Grease's full screen vs. wide screen comparison.
    >>http://www.geocities.com/obsessivetougafan/grease.html
    >>I had no idea how much I was missing watching the HBO/VHS versions.
    >>To be fair, the comparison should have probably shown the widescreen
    >>version as the small size required to fit on the 4:3 TV, but it still
    >>makes the point.

    > this is what I don't get....
    >
    > when I play a dvd with both versions on it, it looks the same in both modes.
    > none of the picture is cut off. I try time and time again to notice a
    > difference but I never do.

    Well depending on the movie something has to be cut off. Old movies
    that have an academy ratio will look about the same. Widescreen movies
    are can be filmed in several different ways. Some of them are filmed in
    full frame with the intention of cutting off the top and bottom to make
    them widescreen for the theater. Those movies may look similar.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Jan 3, 2005
  13. damnfine

    Galley Guest

    On 2 Jan 2005 15:36:39 -0800, "KOS" <> spewed forth
    these words of wisdom:

    >Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
    >One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
    >Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
    >adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
    >
    >I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
    >Thanks
    >KOS

    Read this excellent guide:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/welcome.html

    Galley
    Galley, Jan 3, 2005
  14. "KOS" <> wrote:

    >I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.

    It depends what you like. In most cases, only the widescreen version
    gives you the full picture. On a standard TV, as much as half the picture
    area could be taken up with black bars, which can get a bit wearying on
    the eyes. But at some point in the future all TVs will be widescreen,
    then all your "fullscreen" DVDs will have black bars on the sides.

    I said "in most cases" because (and here's where it would really be nice
    to know how a movie was filmed and how the fullscreen transfer was made)
    sometimes the fullscreen version is an "open matte" version. This means
    the movie was shot full frame, and then the top and bottom were matted
    off to make it widescreen for the theaters. Now, the argument can be made
    that the image was composed for the widescreen aspect ratio, but that's
    not always a good argument. The 20th Anniversary DVD of A Christmas Story
    contains both the widescreen version and the open matte fullscreen
    version, and it honestly looks better open matte. I would argue that a
    lot of movies that were made before the DVD era had a lot of
    consideration given to how they would look on a fullscreen TV transfer.
    But how are we to know which ones?
    Kimba W. Lion, Jan 3, 2005
  15. damnfine

    Giovanni Guest

    "MauiJNP" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Tim923" <> wrote in message
    > > Most DVD film enthusiasts prefer widescreen, since the full screen
    > > version cuts off 25-45% of the movie.
    > >
    > > Take a look at Grease's full screen vs. wide screen comparison.
    > > http://www.geocities.com/obsessivetougafan/grease.html
    > > I had no idea how much I was missing watching the HBO/VHS versions.
    > > To be fair, the comparison should have probably shown the widescreen
    > > version as the small size required to fit on the 4:3 TV, but it

    still
    > > makes the point.

    > this is what I don't get....
    >
    > when I play a dvd with both versions on it, it looks the same in both

    modes.
    > none of the picture is cut off. I try time and time again to notice a
    > difference but I never do.

    Perhaps you have some setting enabled on your DVD-player/TV that
    automagically butchers widescreen to fullscreen, some kind of zoom
    setting?
    Giovanni, Jan 3, 2005
  16. "KOS" <> wrote:

    >Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
    >One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
    >Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
    >adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
    >
    >I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
    >Thanks
    >KOS

    Interestingly enough, a recent survey I read indicated women prefer
    full-screen versions while men prefer letterboxed versions.

    And to answer your question, for sure get the letterboxed (widescreen)
    version so you see the whole movie not just the center part.

    PL

    Paul LEFEBVRE
    londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca
    Visit my website!
    http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99
    Paul LEFEBVRE, Jan 3, 2005
  17. damnfine

    Richard C. Guest

    "KOS" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
    > One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
    > Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
    > adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
    >
    > I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
    > Thanks
    > KOS

    ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO is always the one to buy.
    Period.
    Richard C., Jan 3, 2005
  18. damnfine

    Jordan Guest

    Depends... Do you want to have black bars at the top and bottom of the
    screen which results in a smaller, but complete, picture or would you
    rather have a picture that fills your screen but does so by chopping
    off the sides of the image?
    The first is widescreen the second is full screen.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jan 4, 2005
  19. damnfine

    Mr. Moe Guest

    Mr. Moe, Jan 4, 2005
  20. >Now, the argument can be made
    >that the image was composed for the widescreen aspect ratio, but that's
    >not always a good argument. The 20th Anniversary DVD of A Christmas Story
    >contains both the widescreen version and the open matte fullscreen
    >version, and it honestly looks better open matte.

    Then there are other films where the argument is justified.

    "A Fish Called Wanda" is one such film where the open-matte version kills the
    film.

    Of course, this is assuming movies shot in something like Super35.

    Films shot in formats like Panavision or Cinerama are "genuine" widescreen
    formats with no matting used to make it widescreen. Those are formats where
    you would lose anywhere between 40% upwards to 65% or more when it's converted
    to "fullscreen" through panning and scanning.

    "Ghostbusters," "The Last Samurai," and "Ben-Hur" are excellent examples of
    scope films that cannot be panned and scanned without causing problems in how
    the film can express itself visually to the audience because of the mass of
    visual information that is lost in the panning and scanning process. -
    Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 4, 2005