Question about disk imaging on WXP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Mar 1, 2013.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    OS: WXPpro SP3

    QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
    "C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
    partition is entirely data)

    The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
    Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.
    Donchano, Mar 1, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Donchano

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    d, Donchano says...
    >
    > OS: WXPpro SP3
    >
    > QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
    > "C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
    > partition is entirely data)
    >
    > The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
    > Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.


    Dunno, but that's good compression! :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Mar 1, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Donchano

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    d, Donchano says...
    >
    > OS: WXPpro SP3
    >
    > QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
    > "C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
    > partition is entirely data)
    >
    > The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
    > Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.


    Perhaps you should "mount" the image and check that everything's there
    (???).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Mar 1, 2013
    #3
  4. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:07:24 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Donchano <> wrote:
    >>OS: WXPpro SP3
    >>
    >>QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
    >>"C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
    >>partition is entirely data)
    >>
    >>The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
    >>Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.

    >
    >Most disk imaging software compresses to something like half to two thirds of
    >origunal size.
    >I seriously doubt that 45GB could compress to 3GB. Are you sure that it is a
    >true disk image, I ask because most backup software does not perform a true
    >image but only backs up data.
    >Tony


    Thanks Dave & Tony - You're both right. None of the files were valid.

    Recap: I tried backing up a disk image using a paid version of Handy
    Backup Pro and, when that didn't work (caused BSOD multiple times) a
    paid version of EasyUS Todo Backup (also BSOD). Then I tried a Macrium
    Free and that simply froze.

    Working my way through different scenarios, I finally tried closing
    Handy Backup (otherwise it runs in the background) and running Macrium
    again.

    BINGO! The backup file was nearly 31GB. The suffix or extension is
    *.mrimg and can only be opened using Macrium - mrimg stands for a
    Master Compiler Profile file. But I'm hoping that this shouldn't be a
    problem as I've made the Macrium boot disk and have a copy on the same
    portable USB drive as the disk image.
    Donchano, Mar 2, 2013
    #4
  5. Donchano

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:07:24 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    > dot nz> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> Donchano <> wrote:
    >>> OS: WXPpro SP3
    >>>
    >>> QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
    >>> "C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
    >>> partition is entirely data)
    >>>
    >>> The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
    >>> Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.

    >>
    >> Most disk imaging software compresses to something like half to two
    >> thirds of origunal size.
    >> I seriously doubt that 45GB could compress to 3GB. Are you sure that
    >> it is a true disk image, I ask because most backup software does not
    >> perform a true image but only backs up data.
    >> Tony

    >
    > Thanks Dave & Tony - You're both right. None of the files were valid.
    >
    > Recap: I tried backing up a disk image using a paid version of Handy
    > Backup Pro and, when that didn't work (caused BSOD multiple times) a
    > paid version of EasyUS Todo Backup (also BSOD). Then I tried a Macrium
    > Free and that simply froze.
    >
    > Working my way through different scenarios, I finally tried closing
    > Handy Backup (otherwise it runs in the background) and running Macrium
    > again.
    >
    > BINGO! The backup file was nearly 31GB. The suffix or extension is
    > *.mrimg and can only be opened using Macrium - mrimg stands for a
    > Master Compiler Profile file. But I'm hoping that this shouldn't be a
    > problem as I've made the Macrium boot disk and have a copy on the same
    > portable USB drive as the disk image.


    I suggest you look out an old HDD and try restoring your image onto it and
    check if it works.

    That's what I did when I first started making and archiving full disk (well,
    boot partition) images with Acronis True Image. I can take an image and
    'restore' it to any disk and have it boot as if it were the original. Sweet!

    Oh, TI images seem to be around 60% the size of the original data on disc.
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 2, 2013
    #5
  6. Donchano

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-03-02, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >> On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:07:24 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    >> dot nz> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>> Donchano <> wrote:
    >>>> OS: WXPpro SP3
    >>>>
    >>>> QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be for a
    >>>> "C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free? ("D"
    >>>> partition is entirely data)
    >>>>
    >>>> The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
    >>>> Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.
    >>>
    >>> Most disk imaging software compresses to something like half to two
    >>> thirds of origunal size.
    >>> I seriously doubt that 45GB could compress to 3GB. Are you sure that
    >>> it is a true disk image, I ask because most backup software does not
    >>> perform a true image but only backs up data.
    >>> Tony

    >>
    >> Thanks Dave & Tony - You're both right. None of the files were valid.
    >>
    >> Recap: I tried backing up a disk image using a paid version of Handy
    >> Backup Pro and, when that didn't work (caused BSOD multiple times) a
    >> paid version of EasyUS Todo Backup (also BSOD). Then I tried a Macrium
    >> Free and that simply froze.
    >>
    >> Working my way through different scenarios, I finally tried closing
    >> Handy Backup (otherwise it runs in the background) and running Macrium
    >> again.
    >>
    >> BINGO! The backup file was nearly 31GB. The suffix or extension is
    >> *.mrimg and can only be opened using Macrium - mrimg stands for a
    >> Master Compiler Profile file. But I'm hoping that this shouldn't be a
    >> problem as I've made the Macrium boot disk and have a copy on the same
    >> portable USB drive as the disk image.

    >
    > I suggest you look out an old HDD and try restoring your image onto it and
    > check if it works.
    >
    > That's what I did when I first started making and archiving full disk (well,
    > boot partition) images with Acronis True Image. I can take an image and
    > 'restore' it to any disk and have it boot as if it were the original. Sweet!
    >
    > Oh, TI images seem to be around 60% the size of the original data on disc.


    YES! A backup is worth is only sweet SFA unless it can be restored. Can
    yours gentle reader?

    Test your lastest backup, at random times. Any failure should have you wide
    awake all night.
    Gordon, Mar 3, 2013
    #6
  7. Donchano

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-03-02, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:07:24 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot
    >>> net dot nz> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>>
    >>>> Donchano <> wrote:
    >>>>> OS: WXPpro SP3
    >>>>>
    >>>>> QUESTION: What kind of size should I expect a disk image to be
    >>>>> for a "C" partition of approximately 60GB or which 15GB is free?
    >>>>> ("D" partition is entirely data)
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The reason I ask is because all the disk images I've made using
    >>>>> Macrium and EasyUs are just a tad over 3GB.
    >>>>
    >>>> Most disk imaging software compresses to something like half to two
    >>>> thirds of origunal size.
    >>>> I seriously doubt that 45GB could compress to 3GB. Are you sure
    >>>> that it is a true disk image, I ask because most backup software
    >>>> does not perform a true image but only backs up data.
    >>>> Tony
    >>>
    >>> Thanks Dave & Tony - You're both right. None of the files were
    >>> valid.
    >>>
    >>> Recap: I tried backing up a disk image using a paid version of Handy
    >>> Backup Pro and, when that didn't work (caused BSOD multiple times) a
    >>> paid version of EasyUS Todo Backup (also BSOD). Then I tried a
    >>> Macrium Free and that simply froze.
    >>>
    >>> Working my way through different scenarios, I finally tried closing
    >>> Handy Backup (otherwise it runs in the background) and running
    >>> Macrium again.
    >>>
    >>> BINGO! The backup file was nearly 31GB. The suffix or extension is
    >>> *.mrimg and can only be opened using Macrium - mrimg stands for a
    >>> Master Compiler Profile file. But I'm hoping that this shouldn't be
    >>> a problem as I've made the Macrium boot disk and have a copy on the
    >>> same portable USB drive as the disk image.

    >>
    >> I suggest you look out an old HDD and try restoring your image onto
    >> it and check if it works.
    >>
    >> That's what I did when I first started making and archiving full
    >> disk (well, boot partition) images with Acronis True Image. I can
    >> take an image and 'restore' it to any disk and have it boot as if it
    >> were the original. Sweet!
    >>
    >> Oh, TI images seem to be around 60% the size of the original data on
    >> disc.

    >
    > YES! A backup is worth is only sweet SFA unless it can be restored.
    > Can yours gentle reader?
    >
    > Test your lastest backup, at random times. Any failure should have
    > you wide awake all night.


    I couldn't agree more. I test mine often. As I tend to patition a HDD with a
    genrous amount for the OS and programmes, then the rest for data I almost
    always have an old HDD kicking around (for when upgrades have been done)
    that is big enough so that the backed-up OS partition will fit.

    It's only the work of a few minutes to swap the drives around, carefully put
    the good one safe and restore your backup to the spare drive. (I boot TI
    from a CD and have the image on a USB external. Note, if you're going to use
    a USB stick [if your partition backup is small enough] be sure to set your
    software to slice the backup into bits that FAT32 wil allow. TI defaults to
    2GB.) As you say, if the backup doesn't work then there's no point blindly
    going on making more of them. ;)
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 3, 2013
    #7
  8. Donchano

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in
    news::

    > YES! A backup is worth is only sweet SFA unless it can be restored.
    > Can yours gentle reader?
    >
    > Test your lastest backup, at random times. Any failure should have you
    > wide awake all night.


    Millions of dollars down the hole...
    ftp://ftp.ca.com/caproducts/downloads/AXNBAS/netware/GA/QO87332/readme_Engl
    ish.html#published_fixes


    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 6, 2013
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?RWRuYQ==?=

    Unwanted Folders Continually Reappearing WXP SP2

    =?Utf-8?B?RWRuYQ==?=, Feb 26, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,587
    =?Utf-8?B?RWRuYQ==?=
    Feb 27, 2006
  2. Elijah

    shortcut to check IP - WXP Pro

    Elijah, Sep 2, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,326
    Ralph Wade Phillips
    Sep 3, 2003
  3. Andrew
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    536
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Nov 13, 2003
  4. Marco Napoli

    64 bit Disk Imaging software for Recovery?

    Marco Napoli, Dec 24, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    733
    Randy
    Dec 26, 2005
  5. Don

    Disk Imaging for 64 bit Vista

    Don, Apr 19, 2008, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    721
    Carlos
    Apr 22, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page