    48000 bps and a normal burst size of 8000 then something..

    please can any one provide me an explanation for this last paragraph??

    Regards

    c, Jul 6, 2004

  2. (c) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello, Can anybody please explain me what is the meaning of this
    > command and provide some examples:
    > police rate-bps burst-byte [exceed-action {drop | dscp dscp-value}]
    >
    > For example: if the matched traffic exceed an average traffic rate of
    > 48000 bps and a normal burst size of 8000 then something..
    >
    > please can any one provide me an explanation for this last paragraph??
    >
    > Regards

    Hola C

    First defining Burst:
    ----
    In telecommunication, the term burst transmission has the following
    meanings:

    1. Transmission that combines a very high data signaling rate with
    very short transmission times - i.e. the message is compressed. This
    is popular with the military and spies, who wish to minimise the
    chance of their radio transmissions being detected.

    2. Operation of a data network in which data transmission is
    interrupted at intervals.

    Source: from Federal Standard 1037C and from MIL-STD-188
    ----

    In a general way this means that you can guarantee up to 48Kbps of
    average traffic. With a "burst" of 8k and with available resources
    (if you have constructed and End – to End QoS Solution – all devices
    along a path provide a consistent per-hop "per-hop == The behaviour of
    an individual devices when handling traffic in the DiffServ
    architecture" ) you can transmit 56 Kbps (48+8) after that you can
    experiment maybe pkts drops

    HTH
    Saludos,
    Victor Cappuccio