    layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol - perhaps the
    amount too is minute to matter (??)

    I appreciate your response. Thank you.

    fourstriper, May 26, 2006

  2. fourstriper

    the paddle Guest

    the paddle, May 26, 2006

  3. fourstriper

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-26, fourstriper <> wrote:
    > My DELL UltraSharp LCD monitor's manual explicitly says that alcohol
    > shouldn't be used to clean the LCD screen as it will damage the anti-glare
    > component of the screen. It suggested that only cleaners labeled as LCD
    > liquid cleaners be used.
    > I have purchased a spray on type 'LCD Screen' cleaning fluid ALTHOUGH IT
    > CONTAINS A TYPE OF ALCOHOL AS PER THE INGREDIENTS INDICATED ON THE BOTTLE.
    > I cannot recall what type of alcohol , but I recognized it as such given the
    > name and the "..ol" ending to the ingredient's name.
    >
    > I am asking to help prevent me from damaging any glare or protective screen
    > layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol - perhaps the
    > amount too is minute to matter (??)
    >
    > I appreciate your response. Thank you.

    I've only ever used a micro-fibre cloth (the sort with a flannel-like
    texture); be very gentle. Use dry to dust off the loose stuff, and
    slightly damp to remove stubborn marks.

    Do make sure the cloth is grit-free before it gets anywhere near your
    computer display.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 26, 2006
  4. fourstriper

    JANA Guest

    The alcohol content in the cleaner you bought is probably very diluted, and
    thus very low.

    We use a slightly dampened soft tissue with water only. Then the screen is
    very gently wiped with a dry soft tissue to dry it off.

    If you put any liquid on to any monitor screen, be sure that none of it runs
    below in to the bezel. There are components in that area that can be easily
    damaged.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, May 26, 2006
  5. fourstriper

    me Guest

    > My DELL UltraSharp LCD monitor's manual explicitly says that alcohol
    > shouldn't be used to clean the LCD screen as it will damage the anti-glare
    > component of the screen. It suggested that only cleaners labeled as LCD
    > liquid cleaners be used.
    > I have purchased a spray on type 'LCD Screen' cleaning fluid ALTHOUGH IT
    > CONTAINS A TYPE OF ALCOHOL AS PER THE INGREDIENTS INDICATED ON THE BOTTLE.
    > I cannot recall what type of alcohol , but I recognized it as such given
    > the name and the "..ol" ending to the ingredient's name.
    >
    > I am asking to help prevent me from damaging any glare or protective
    > screen layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol -
    > perhaps the amount too is minute to matter (??)
    >
    > I appreciate your response. Thank you.

    probably Isopropyl Alcohol,which is used also in head cleaning for VCR's
    etc.

    me, May 27, 2006
  6. fourstriper

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 15:02:09 -0400, fourstriper wrote:

    > My DELL UltraSharp LCD monitor's manual explicitly says that alcohol
    > shouldn't be used to clean the LCD screen as it will damage the anti-glare
    > component of the screen. It suggested that only cleaners labeled as LCD
    > liquid cleaners be used.
    > I have purchased a spray on type 'LCD Screen' cleaning fluid ALTHOUGH IT
    > CONTAINS A TYPE OF ALCOHOL AS PER THE INGREDIENTS INDICATED ON THE BOTTLE.
    > I cannot recall what type of alcohol , but I recognized it as such given the
    > name and the "..ol" ending to the ingredient's name.
    >
    > I am asking to help prevent me from damaging any glare or protective screen
    > layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol - perhaps the
    > amount too is minute to matter (??)
    >
    > I appreciate your response. Thank you.

    I use a dab of Windex on a clean soft rag.

    Meat Plow, May 27, 2006
  7. fourstriper

    Martin Guest

    fourstriper wrote:
    > My DELL UltraSharp LCD monitor's manual explicitly says that alcohol
    > shouldn't be used to clean the LCD screen as it will damage the anti-glare
    > component of the screen. It suggested that only cleaners labeled as LCD
    > liquid cleaners be used.
    > I have purchased a spray on type 'LCD Screen' cleaning fluid ALTHOUGH IT
    > CONTAINS A TYPE OF ALCOHOL AS PER THE INGREDIENTS INDICATED ON THE BOTTLE.
    > I cannot recall what type of alcohol , but I recognized it as such given the
    > name and the "..ol" ending to the ingredient's name.
    >
    > I am asking to help prevent me from damaging any glare or protective screen
    > layer. Do these cleaner's often have some type of alcohol - perhaps the
    > amount too is minute to matter (??)
    >
    > I appreciate your response. Thank you.

    I use a 50% mix of isopropyl alcohol and 50% pure water dampened on a
    pure cotton cloth (not a paper kitchen towel made from wood).

    If this strips your screen coating I am taking no responsibility for it.

    I think the water will wipe off dust and water soluble stuff (coke
    splats etc) the IPA dissolves any greasy finger prints.

    Martin, May 27, 2006