Question about changing ISP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Italian Jobs, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Italian Jobs

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:40:23 +1000, "Mark" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently have
    >been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are coming
    >soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
    >ship to an ISP who does.
    >
    >Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
    >Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
    >
    >Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
    >can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Mark

    Look at Quicksilver

    Italian Jobs, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Italian Jobs

    Justin Sim Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently have
    >been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are coming
    >soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
    >ship to an ISP who does.
    >
    >Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
    >Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
    >
    >Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
    >can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

    Hi Mark
    Sign up for that Orcon accout and you'll be a telecom
    customer as they take 59.95 while Orcon takes a whole $10.

    This account is a cynical manipulation by Telecom to
    sabotage the launch of wholesale adsl. Their timing sucks.

    I was tempted by the speed increase too but long term
    supporting telecom will just slow down the speed and keep
    the price up for all of us.

    That $99 fee is designed to lock you in once Telecom has
    captured you.

    Justin Sim, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Italian Jobs

    Hmmm Guest

    Justin Sim wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:40:23 +1000, "Mark"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently have
    >>been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are coming
    >>soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
    >>ship to an ISP who does.
    >>
    >>Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
    >>Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
    >>
    >>Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
    >>can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

    > Hi Mark
    > Sign up for that Orcon accout and you'll be a telecom
    > customer as they take 59.95 while Orcon takes a whole $10.
    >
    > This account is a cynical manipulation by Telecom to
    > sabotage the launch of wholesale adsl. Their timing sucks.
    >
    > I was tempted by the speed increase too but long term
    > supporting telecom will just slow down the speed and keep
    > the price up for all of us.
    >
    > That $99 fee is designed to lock you in once Telecom has
    > captured you.

    Yes, sad but true...

    Several reasons why you should avoid the new telecom deals

    1) you are basically helping telecom stay a monopoly.
    2) they capped and then throttled back to pretty mcuh dialup speeds
    10 gigs is nothing
    Its must better to get 256kbits UNLIMITED/UNTHROTTLED from orcon..a nice
    steady rate that will always stay at that speed..

    it would be nice to have that 2 megabits, but it will suck when you are
    back at dialup for the the last 3 weeks of each month or sooner once you
    hit that target.

    if you dont go with those plans it will put more pressure on telecom to
    actually offer _decent_ high speed plans (uncapped!, or at least a
    decent cap like 50 gigs) etc.

    my 2 cents

    Hmmm, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Italian Jobs

    rjj Guest

    FYI: Slingshot have dropped their 256k UBS unlimited plan price to
    $49.95. On top of unlimited downloads you get a 1GB mailbox (with IMAP
    support), 50MB of web hosting space, 7 email accounts, free tech
    helpdesk and they are soon launching a new 'iTalk Phone' VoIP service
    for $9.95 a month offering a 2nd phone line with free on-net calling and
    low toll rates...

    http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=11&subnav=3

    rjj, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Italian Jobs

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Justin Sim" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:40:23 +1000, "Mark"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently
    >>have
    >>been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are
    >>coming
    >>soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
    >>ship to an ISP who does.
    >>
    >>Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
    >>Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
    >>
    >>Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
    >>can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

    > Hi Mark
    > Sign up for that Orcon accout and you'll be a telecom
    > customer as they take 59.95 while Orcon takes a whole $10.
    >
    > This account is a cynical manipulation by Telecom to
    > sabotage the launch of wholesale adsl. Their timing sucks.
    >
    > I was tempted by the speed increase too but long term
    > supporting telecom will just slow down the speed and keep
    > the price up for all of us.
    >
    > That $99 fee is designed to lock you in once Telecom has
    > captured you.

    The bottom line is that it's actually Telecom that's providing the service.
    Orcon are taking $10 handling your account.

    Telecom have something that no other ISP can provide. ihug have even given
    up on making Ultra a competitive reliable option.
    In fact ihug is more interested in their phone business because of the
    potential profits from it than the internet side of things.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 13, 2004
  6. Italian Jobs

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "rjj" <> wrote in message news:1097650310.321730@ftpsrv1...
    > FYI: Slingshot have dropped their 256k UBS unlimited plan price to $49.95.
    > On top of unlimited downloads you get a 1GB mailbox (with IMAP support),
    > 50MB of web hosting space, 7 email accounts, free tech helpdesk and they
    > are soon launching a new 'iTalk Phone' VoIP service for $9.95 a month
    > offering a 2nd phone line with free on-net calling and low toll rates...
    >
    > http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=11&subnav=3

    Slingshot also have their own forum that customers can chat away in with
    Slingshot about almost anything.
    Plus Slingshot offer a good reliable service - on dial up at least.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 13, 2004
  7. Italian Jobs

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "rjj" <> wrote in message
    >>> FYI: Slingshot have dropped their 256k UBS unlimited plan price to
    >>> $49.95. On top of unlimited downloads you get a 1GB mailbox (with IMAP
    >>> support), 50MB of web hosting space, 7 email accounts, free tech
    >>> helpdesk and they are soon launching a new 'iTalk Phone' VoIP service
    >>> for $9.95 a month offering a 2nd phone line with free on-net calling and
    >>> low toll rates...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=11&subnav=3

    >> Slingshot also have their own forum that customers can chat away in with
    >> Slingshot about almost anything.
    >> Plus Slingshot offer a good reliable service - on dial up at least.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Haha, Don't make me laugh...Slingshot having reliable dial up
    > service...give me a break, i've heard soo many people complain about their
    > crappy service, slow dial up and useless support. I wonder if slingshot
    > boardband will be any different.

    Fat lot you know then.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 13, 2004
  8. Italian Jobs

    Krazy BoB Guest

    Krazy BoB, Oct 13, 2004
  9. Italian Jobs

    Mark Guest

    Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently have
    been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are coming
    soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
    ship to an ISP who does.

    Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
    Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????

    Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
    can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

    Thanks in advance
    Mark
    -**-
    www.myoddjobs.co.nz :- Job auction website
    -**-
    Replace the Z with the e to reply

    Mark, Oct 13, 2004
  10. Italian Jobs

    Mark Guest

    "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:416cc3e9$1_4@127.0.0.1...
    > Justin Sim wrote:
    > > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:40:23 +1000, "Mark"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently

    have
    > >>been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are

    coming
    > >>soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
    > >>ship to an ISP who does.
    > >>
    > >>Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
    > >>Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
    > >>
    > >>Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless

    anyone
    > >>can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

    > > Hi Mark
    > > Sign up for that Orcon accout and you'll be a telecom
    > > customer as they take 59.95 while Orcon takes a whole $10.
    > >
    > > This account is a cynical manipulation by Telecom to
    > > sabotage the launch of wholesale adsl. Their timing sucks.
    > >
    > > I was tempted by the speed increase too but long term
    > > supporting telecom will just slow down the speed and keep
    > > the price up for all of us.
    > >
    > > That $99 fee is designed to lock you in once Telecom has
    > > captured you.

    > Yes, sad but true...
    >
    > Several reasons why you should avoid the new telecom deals
    >
    > 1) you are basically helping telecom stay a monopoly.
    > 2) they capped and then throttled back to pretty mcuh dialup speeds
    > 10 gigs is nothing
    > Its must better to get 256kbits UNLIMITED/UNTHROTTLED from orcon..a nice
    > steady rate that will always stay at that speed..
    >
    > it would be nice to have that 2 megabits, but it will suck when you are
    > back at dialup for the the last 3 weeks of each month or sooner once you
    > hit that target.
    >
    > if you dont go with those plans it will put more pressure on telecom to
    > actually offer _decent_ high speed plans (uncapped!, or at least a
    > decent cap like 50 gigs) etc.
    >
    > my 2 cents

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    Mark, Oct 13, 2004
  11. rjj wrote:
    > FYI: Slingshot have dropped their 256k UBS unlimited plan price to
    > $49.95. On top of unlimited downloads you get a 1GB mailbox (with IMAP
    > support), 50MB of web hosting space, 7 email accounts, free tech
    > helpdesk and they are soon launching a new 'iTalk Phone' VoIP service
    > for $9.95 a month offering a 2nd phone line with free on-net calling and
    > low toll rates...
    > http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=11&subnav=3

    wow... sounds pretty good really.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 13, 2004
  12. Italian Jobs

    Hmmm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > rjj wrote:
    >
    >> FYI: Slingshot have dropped their 256k UBS unlimited plan price to
    >> $49.95. On top of unlimited downloads you get a 1GB mailbox (with
    >> IMAP support), 50MB of web hosting space, 7 email accounts, free tech
    >> helpdesk and they are soon launching a new 'iTalk Phone' VoIP service
    >> for $9.95 a month offering a 2nd phone line with free on-net calling
    >> and low toll rates...
    >> http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=11&subnav=3

    > wow... sounds pretty good really.

    Lots of things do until you read the restrictions etc :)
    Its the fine print that counts, like when they unlimited, they mean once
    you get to 20 gigs, then its throttled to 64kbits etc

    Hmmm, Oct 13, 2004
  13. Italian Jobs

    rjj Guest

    This restriction has now also been lifted if you check back at the web
    site. Slingshot have apparently decided not to do any throttling on
    their plans now. You can either go for a capped plan and then pay
    overage of 0.5c per MB (although they also have a saftey net so you
    can't pay any more than $14.95 or $19.95 in overage charges) - or go for
    the full flat rate plan. They also throw in Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam on
    the flat rate plan. I think the VoIP service (iTalk Phone) is gonna be
    pretty cool too for the geeks (like me).

    rjj, Oct 14, 2004
  14. Italian Jobs

    Hmmm Guest

    Cool, sounds better!, throttling is just evil as are caps!

    voip, something ive alwasy been interested in..

    What was interesting is that Telecom said that the UBS packages would
    not have a good enough latency for voip products.. so will be
    interesting to see what its like..

    Hmmm, Oct 14, 2004
  15. Hmmm wrote:
    > Cool, sounds better!, throttling is just evil as are caps!
    > voip, something ive alwasy been interested in..

    > What was interesting is that Telecom said that the UBS packages would
    > not have a good enough latency for voip products.. so will be
    > interesting to see what its like..

    they said that their other DSL offerings wont be good enough for it
    either, but they are.

    it really depends on the service level that you're after.
    I use VOIP at home over wireless, it's ~4ms to the machine that
    interfaces back to the POTS.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 14, 2004
  16. Italian Jobs

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:32:08 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > The bottom line is that it's actually Telecom that's providing the service.
    > Orcon are taking $10 handling your account.

    So badge engineering, is alive and well in ADSL in NZ. Read the Telecom
    monolopy rules! To hell whether or not it is okay.

    Gordon, Oct 14, 2004
  17. Italian Jobs

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:06:39 +1300, Hmmm wrote:

    > Justin Sim wrote:

    {snip]
    >> That $99 fee is designed to lock you in once Telecom has
    >> captured you.

    > Yes, sad but true...
    >
    > Several reasons why you should avoid the new telecom deals
    >
    > 1) you are basically helping telecom stay a monopoly.
    > 2) they capped and then throttled back to pretty mcuh dialup speeds
    > 10 gigs is nothing
    > Its must better to get 256kbits UNLIMITED/UNTHROTTLED from orcon..a nice
    > steady rate that will always stay at that speed..

    Remember people, What is the difference between a drug pusher and a
    monolopy company?

    None. They both want to get you hooked, then they up the price.

    Gordon, Oct 14, 2004
  18. Italian Jobs

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:40:23 +1000, Mark wrote:

    > Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently have
    > been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are coming
    > soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
    > ship to an ISP who does.

    Relax, wait until Telecom delivers then see if Ihug is on the playing
    field or not. My money says it will be.

    Competition is slowly starting to wander onto the playing field.

    Gordon, Oct 14, 2004
  19. Italian Jobs

    steven Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:32:08 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > "Justin Sim" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:40:23 +1000, "Mark"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently
    >>>have
    >>>been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are
    >>>coming
    >>>soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
    >>>ship to an ISP who does.
    >>>
    >>>Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
    >>>Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????
    >>>
    >>>Also, at this stage Orcon looks like it might be my new ISP unless anyone
    >>>can convince me otherwise or recommend a better ISP.

    >> Hi Mark
    >> Sign up for that Orcon accout and you'll be a telecom
    >> customer as they take 59.95 while Orcon takes a whole $10.
    >>
    >> This account is a cynical manipulation by Telecom to
    >> sabotage the launch of wholesale adsl. Their timing sucks.
    >>
    >> I was tempted by the speed increase too but long term
    >> supporting telecom will just slow down the speed and keep
    >> the price up for all of us.
    >>
    >> That $99 fee is designed to lock you in once Telecom has
    >> captured you.

    > The bottom line is that it's actually Telecom that's providing the service.
    > Orcon are taking $10 handling your account.

    who cares, its cheaper, its faster and im changing over.

    ----------
    steven h

    steven, Oct 14, 2004
  20. "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I am currently with Iug and have been for some time. I recently
    > have
    > been following discussions about the new telecom 2Mb plans which are
    > coming
    > soon. Since Ihug is not offering these plans I am thinking about jumping
    > ship to an ISP who does.
    >
    > Am I right in my understanding that if I transfer over to a new ISP from
    > Ihug I have to pay a new "connection" charge ($99)????

    At the moment, unless you have told IHUG specficlly you want to change to
    UBS/Bitstream and you have moved over to Bitstream/UBS then
    there is no problem moving over yet (as you won't be moving from
    UBS->Jetstream) All you'll be doing is moving ISP's (via the JPP)

    Craig Whitmore
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 14, 2004