    I am a huge adovcate of self study but its hard to proove that without a
    certification as I see it.

    Sean, MCAD

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Well said.

    I think as more people with certs move up through the profession, the more
    certs will be recognised as a true achievement.

    Unfortunately, I think a lot of harm has also been done by "paper MCSDs",
    although I think "paper MCSEs" are much more prevalent. Microsoft state that
    you should have a minimum of 2 years (I think) experience before taking the
    certs. Many colleges and training centers however will coach complete
    beginners to pass these exams with no experience. Unfortunately, some people
    then take this to mean that they are easy too pass.

    Another point is that a prospective employer who sees no value in the work
    that you went through to get the certification is probably not one you'd
    want to work for. It clearly illustrates their view of training and career
    development.

    David

    David Kavanagh, Sep 2, 2005

  3. The point of self study but without having something that validates it, is a
    very common filter even if you have experience.

    Before I take my first exam, I have read a lot of self-study kits, but
    because I didn't have something valid as "proof" of my knowledge, it was
    hard to believe.

    Then, I decided to take exams and now I have enough proof plus my past work
    (websites, software projects) that I can show and demonstrate to the
    employers or possible customers about my proeficiency in my work

    Victor Guillen, Sep 2, 2005
  4. What I find frustrating with this line of logic some employers may have is
    that they are basically saying "if you are in college and have a free weekend
    watch TV instead of learning SQL". Completely illogical in my mind and would
    perfer not to work for such companies.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Sep 2, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I think as more people with certs move up through the profession, the more
    >certs will be recognised as a true achievement.

    Not until the new formats become the de facto norm. The current format
    is too basic and open to abuse by the cheats and the companies that
    shamelessly exploit them.

    >Unfortunately, I think a lot of harm has also been done by "paper MCSDs",
    >although I think "paper MCSEs" are much more prevalent. Microsoft state that
    >you should have a minimum of 2 years (I think) experience before taking the
    >certs. Many colleges and training centers however will coach complete
    >beginners to pass these exams with no experience. Unfortunately, some people
    >then take this to mean that they are easy too pass.
    >
    >Another point is that a prospective employer who sees no value in the work
    >that you went through to get the certification is probably not one you'd
    >want to work for. It clearly illustrates their view of training and career
    >development.

    Not really. Any employer no matter what profession, should care more
    about the relevant experience a prospective employee has. Naturally
    for entry level positions, this comes down to the level of education
    one has achieved.

    Within IT this experience is not simply being able to spew out the
    latest buzz, but more so being able to demonstrate a fundamental
    understanding of the business sector of the employer. An experienced
    software engineer from the manufacturing sector would be of little use
    to banking corp. I made the [reverse] switch a year back and
    understanding manufacturing is a different ball game to finance.

    As far as certification goes with an employer, well certification does
    mean a lot if it proves the holder is indeed certified to perform the
    tasks defined within the scope of the certification. Sadly for the
    reason you mentioned above, this is not the case with ms [and other]
    vendors certification process. Basically the [current] format of the
    exams do prove the holder even understands the questions!
    Understanding the question and being able to describe and explain how
    the answers were derived is a fundamental prerequisite for any
    meaningful examination.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Sep 6, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >What I find frustrating with this line of logic some employers may have is
    >that they are basically saying "if you are in college and have a free weekend
    >watch TV instead of learning SQL".

    If you're in college you should be learning about relation theory and
    all that goes with it as part of the course, assuming that is, the
    degree is related to IT. If you're not doing a IT related degree, as
    an employer, I'd say why not?

    Personally when I was at college/unversity I spent the weekends
    chasing girls ;-)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Sep 6, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >The point of self study but without having something that validates it, is a
    >very common filter even if you have experience.

    As it stands today, it is a pointless 'filter'. Ask yourself how can
    an employer distinguish between an mcsd holder who genuinely
    understands the subjects and someone who has dumped their way through?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Sep 6, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

    Blackmetal Guest

    I know, you're right, but the thing is how a recuiter will stop prejudging
    that matter?

    If we know that is pointless, the experience it will talk about the
    developer or the employee

    Blackmetal, Sep 6, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I know, you're right, but the thing is how a recuiter will stop prejudging
    >that matter?

    Another topic. I have no idea why so many companies use so called
    recruitment agencies. How a company, other than your own, understands
    the type of people you wish to employ is quite beyond me.

    Saying that, I have no idea why any company, other than ms partners
    maybe, would put *any* ms certification ahead of real world
    experience.

    >If we know that is pointless, the experience it will talk about the
    >developer or the employee

    Sorry, don't understand what you mean?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Sep 6, 2005
  10. > Another topic. I have no idea why so many companies use so called
    > recruitment agencies. How a company, other than your own, understands
    > the type of people you wish to employ is quite beyond me.

    That's why you'll see a lot of companies say, "No third party calls/resumes
    accepted"

    Hong Kong Phooey, Sep 22, 2005