    Centrino processor, yet the clock speed is half that of Pentium4-M. Doesn't
    that compromise performance?

    Friendly, Kostas.

    Constantine, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Constantine

    Night_Seer Guest

    Constantine wrote:
    > Hello All.
    >
    > Sorry, stupid question, but... High-end notebooks are equipped with
    > the Centrino processor, yet the clock speed is half that of
    > Pentium4-M. Doesn't that compromise performance?
    >
    > Friendly, Kostas.

    Not at all. An Athlon 64 3000+ is clocked at 2Ghz, and can beat the
    pants off a 3GHZ Pentium 4. You are now starting to see the lie for
    what it is Megahurts isn't everything. Intel and AMD are just taking
    two different aproaches to the same problem. Intel does less work
    faster, AMD does more work slower. Same thing goes for the Pentium M
    (the processor of a Centrino notebook). There are benchmarks out there
    that show that a 1.6Ghz Pentium M can beat a DESKTOP pentium 4 in the
    mid 2Ghz range. The exact same thing can be said about the Celeron
    line, who's clock speed is getting higher and higher, but is still an
    underperforming when compared to the much lower clocked low end Athlon
    XP which falls into the same price range.

    The benefit of the Centrino line is power and battery life that comes
    with a higher price tag. I just wish they made desktop versions of
    these and just left the clockspeed thing by the wayside. Hope this
    helps.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Feb 4, 2004