    ones (less noise.) What do you think?

    Thanks for your insight,

    -Jorge

    Jorge, Apr 12, 2004

  2. "Jorge" <> wrote in message
    news:c5ekns$pqin$-berlin.de...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > It's time to upgrade my Oly C-4000 and I'm looking at the newer C-765

    (also
    > a 4MP camera). However, its CCD is 1/2.7" and the one on the C-40000 is
    > 1/1.8". IIRC, I read somewhere else that larger CCDs are better that

    smaller
    > ones (less noise.) What do you think?
    >
    > Thanks for your insight,
    >
    > -Jorge

    Larger does indeed mean less noise. The 8.8 x 6.6mm sensors seem to be
    best around the 5MP level, but you need to check for yourself just how
    objectionable the noise is, because some people are judging noise on at
    1:1 zoomed displays - the equivalent of a 30 - 40inch print - which I
    think is unrealistic. Some people swear by DLSRs for low noise.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 12, 2004

  3. Jorge

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Jorge wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > It's time to upgrade my Oly C-4000 and I'm looking at the newer C-765 (also
    > a 4MP camera). However, its CCD is 1/2.7" and the one on the C-40000 is
    > 1/1.8". IIRC, I read somewhere else that larger CCDs are better that smaller
    > ones (less noise.) What do you think?

    It's not so much the size of the sensor, but the size of the sensor
    sites. The more megapixels you have, the more sites you need.

    On tiny sensors, you have to make the sites smaller to squeeze more
    megapixels on the sensor. Tiny sensors aren't as sensitive to light
    as large ones. (You have a smaller area for light to fall on). As a
    result, the signal from them has to be amplified more. The extra
    amplification causes extra noise.

    As far as comparing cameras.. You can't tell unless you actually
    compare. If you search, you'll probably find a few sites
    with sample photos to check out.

    Jim Townsend, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Jorge

    John Fahy Guest

    I had a Oly C2000Z, upgraded last year to a C5050Z...very disappointed, the
    shutter lag is terrible, I just cannot get any action or candid shots. It
    seems all digital cameras suffer from this - except digital SLRs.
    I'm going to get a Canon EOS 300D

    John Fahy, Apr 12, 2004
  5. Jorge

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Jim Townsend <> wrote:

    >On tiny sensors, you have to make the sites smaller to squeeze more
    >megapixels on the sensor. Tiny sensors aren't as sensitive to light
    >as large ones. (You have a smaller area for light to fall on). As a
    >result, the signal from them has to be amplified more. The extra
    >amplification causes extra noise.

    More amplification does cause more noise, but the bulk of the noise is
    already there before the amplification.

    Noise from smaller photosites also reduces dynamic range. Hidden from
    the user is the fact that there is a high, flat level of moise in sensor
    captures, that steals some of the dynamic range. In the output image, a
    black frame might have values of 0 to 8 (out of 255), for instance, but
    the real original RAW values might have been 200 to 280 (out of 4095).
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Apr 14, 2004