    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Brett

    wilt Guest

    I don't think most printers are limited to fixed sizes of media, as the
    Windows drivers in application programs like Photoshop often have many
    selections including custom sizes, and the iP8500 takes up to 8.5 wide
    media (letter,legal). I think the sizes specified by Canon may simply
    be precut paper sizes of Canon paper that are directly supported by
    direct printing software which does not use a PC as the output for the
    printer.

    I have seen the output of the 8500 and 9900 in a store, and the example
    photos I have seen are absolutely gorgeous.

    What stops me from buying one is a) I don't use printers enough in
    photo mode to warrant the investment, so I worry about the vexation
    caused by clogged jets from really infrequent use. And b) my wife and
    I belong to one of those membership purchasing warehouses with superb
    output on Fuji Crystal paper which is more permanent output, and at a
    price that is a bit lower than print-your-own at home!

    --Wilt

    wilt, Dec 4, 2005

  3. wilt wrote:
    > I don't think most printers are limited to fixed sizes of media, as the
    > Windows drivers in application programs like Photoshop often have many
    > selections including custom sizes, and the iP8500 takes up to 8.5 wide
    > media (letter,legal). I think the sizes specified by Canon may simply
    > be precut paper sizes of Canon paper that are directly supported by
    > direct printing software which does not use a PC as the output for the
    > printer.
    >
    > I have seen the output of the 8500 and 9900 in a store, and the example
    > photos I have seen are absolutely gorgeous.
    >
    > What stops me from buying one is a) I don't use printers enough in
    > photo mode to warrant the investment, so I worry about the vexation
    > caused by clogged jets from really infrequent use. And b) my wife and
    > I belong to one of those membership purchasing warehouses with superb
    > output on Fuji Crystal paper which is more permanent output, and at a
    > price that is a bit lower than print-your-own at home!

    I have an 8500, and it is indeed gorgeous. It does not clog, and it
    aligns itself automatically. It seems to be doing a quick clean when you
    turn it on, taking care of whatever needs to be done.

    I don't know offhand if it can do a nonstandard size sheet. Obviously
    you can size your prints to anything you want, but what the printer will
    do with an odd size I don't know.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Brett

    Brett Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > wilt wrote:
    >> I don't think most printers are limited to fixed sizes of media, as the
    >> Windows drivers in application programs like Photoshop often have many
    >> selections including custom sizes, and the iP8500 takes up to 8.5 wide
    >> media (letter,legal). I think the sizes specified by Canon may simply
    >> be precut paper sizes of Canon paper that are directly supported by
    >> direct printing software which does not use a PC as the output for the
    >> printer.
    >>
    >> I have seen the output of the 8500 and 9900 in a store, and the example
    >> photos I have seen are absolutely gorgeous.
    >>
    >> What stops me from buying one is a) I don't use printers enough in
    >> photo mode to warrant the investment, so I worry about the vexation
    >> caused by clogged jets from really infrequent use. And b) my wife and
    >> I belong to one of those membership purchasing warehouses with superb
    >> output on Fuji Crystal paper which is more permanent output, and at a
    >> price that is a bit lower than print-your-own at home!

    > I have an 8500, and it is indeed gorgeous. It does not clog, and it aligns
    > itself automatically. It seems to be doing a quick clean when you turn it
    > on, taking care of whatever needs to be done.
    >
    > I don't know offhand if it can do a nonstandard size sheet. Obviously you
    > can size your prints to anything you want, but what the printer will do
    > with an odd size I don't know.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Is 4X8 considered an odd size? It's the most popular for photo cards.

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Dec 5, 2005