Question about Canon EF 180mm f3.5L Macro USM AutoFocus Telephoto Lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Reviews often speak of this lens as an excellent telephoto lens.
    I guess I'm rather ignorant about the lens specs:
    * Lens Type: teleconverter
    * mounting_type: Canon EF
    * Camera Magnify Power: 1 / 1
    * lens_system_special_functions: Macro
    * maximum_aperture_range: F/3.5
    * Minimum focal length: 180 millimeters
    * min_focal_range: 18.9 inches
    * Focus Type: auto-focus, manual-focus
    * Real Angle Of View: 13.5
    * Weight: 2.4 pounds
    * Item Display Diameter: 3.3 inches
    * Length: 7 inches

    Zoom is often referred to as 6X, 10X etc. Can anyone tell me what X would
    this be equivalent to?

    Dave, Nov 2, 2007

  2. "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Reviews often speak of this lens as an excellent telephoto lens.
    > I guess I'm rather ignorant about the lens specs:
    > * Lens Type: teleconverter
    > * mounting_type: Canon EF
    > * Camera Magnify Power: 1 / 1
    > * lens_system_special_functions: Macro
    > * maximum_aperture_range: F/3.5
    > * Minimum focal length: 180 millimeters
    > * min_focal_range: 18.9 inches
    > * Focus Type: auto-focus, manual-focus
    > * Real Angle Of View: 13.5
    > * Weight: 2.4 pounds
    > * Item Display Diameter: 3.3 inches
    > * Length: 7 inches
    >
    > Zoom is often referred to as 6X, 10X etc. Can anyone tell me what X would
    > this be equivalent to?

    1.0

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 2, 2007

  3. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> Reviews often speak of this lens as an excellent telephoto lens.
    >> I guess I'm rather ignorant about the lens specs:
    >> * Lens Type: teleconverter
    >> * mounting_type: Canon EF
    >> * Camera Magnify Power: 1 / 1
    >> * lens_system_special_functions: Macro
    >> * maximum_aperture_range: F/3.5
    >> * Minimum focal length: 180 millimeters
    >> * min_focal_range: 18.9 inches
    >> * Focus Type: auto-focus, manual-focus
    >> * Real Angle Of View: 13.5
    >> * Weight: 2.4 pounds
    >> * Item Display Diameter: 3.3 inches
    >> * Length: 7 inches
    >>
    >> Zoom is often referred to as 6X, 10X etc. Can anyone tell me what X
    >> would this be equivalent to?

    > 1.0
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    .... because the lens does not zoom, so the ratio of its maximum focal
    length to its minimum focal length is 1.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2007
  4. Dave

    Matt Ion Guest

    Re: Question about Canon EF 180mm f3.5L Macro USM AutoFocus TelephotoLens

    Dave wrote:
    > Reviews often speak of this lens as an excellent telephoto lens.
    > I guess I'm rather ignorant about the lens specs:
    > * Lens Type: teleconverter
    > * mounting_type: Canon EF
    > * Camera Magnify Power: 1 / 1
    > * lens_system_special_functions: Macro
    > * maximum_aperture_range: F/3.5
    > * Minimum focal length: 180 millimeters
    > * min_focal_range: 18.9 inches
    > * Focus Type: auto-focus, manual-focus
    > * Real Angle Of View: 13.5
    > * Weight: 2.4 pounds
    > * Item Display Diameter: 3.3 inches
    > * Length: 7 inches
    >
    > Zoom is often referred to as 6X, 10X etc. Can anyone tell me what X would
    > this be equivalent to?

    With cameras, the "X" is a ratio of the shortest to the longest zoom;
    it's not a power of magnification like with binoculars and telescopes.

    A 70-210mm zoom lens would be 3X (210/70). A 28-300 would be 10X
    (approximately - 300/28 = 10.714285714285714285714285714286 to be
    precise). The actual magnification will depend on the size of the
    sensor (or film frame, if applicable).

    As others have noted, since this is not a zoom lens, but a fixed focal
    length, the actual zoom would be "1X".

    Matt Ion, Nov 2, 2007
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks all! How would I figure the minimum distance from the front of the
    lens to the subject that would be possible to obtain focus?

    Dave, Nov 3, 2007
  6. Dave

    Dave wrote:
    > Thanks all! How would I figure the minimum distance from the front of the
    > lens to the subject that would be possible to obtain focus?

    18.9 inches, according to your listed specs...

    Matt Ion, Nov 3, 2007
  7. "Dave" <> wrote:
    > Thanks all! How would I figure the minimum distance from the front of the
    > lens to the subject that would be possible to obtain focus?

    Subject distance is measured from the film plane. For this lens, presumably
    the "min_focal_range: 18.9 inches" spec refers to that. Subtract the length
    of the lens (7 inches) and the flange to film/sensor distance (44mm, 1.5
    inches or so), and you get about 10 inches.

    Note that at that distance, you will be imaging an area 24x36mm with the 5D
    or 15x23mm with an APS-C camera.

    FWIW, the English on the US site is a bit better than that in the specs you
    quoted.

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=155&modelid=7324

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 3, 2007
  8. Re: Question about Canon EF 180mm f3.5L Macro USM AutoFocus TelephotoLens

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >> Thanks all! How would I figure the minimum distance from the front of
    >> the lens to the subject that would be possible to obtain focus?

    > 18.9 inches, according to your listed specs...

    Note: that distance is to the focal plane, not the front
    of the lens. It does give great working distance to skittish
    insects.

    It is a great lens (I have one), but don't think it will
    work as a short telephoto for action: AF is very slow.
    The lens is impressively sharp, one of Canon's sharpest lenses.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 3, 2007
  9. Dave

    Haroldo M. Magalhaes

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Bahia- Brazil
    Canon 180mm macro

    I've been using a 105mm nikon macro with a D300 with a 6" home made extension tube and preset the lens aperture to the desired aperture.

    I'd like to know if I can use the 180mm macro and EOS Mark ll with a mechanical extension tube and pre set the lens aperture.

    It seems impossible to me since the canon 180 macro does not have the aperture ring on the lens barrel, like other lenses.

    Please, help me.

    Haroldo M. Magalhaes, Apr 3, 2009