    Thanks,
    Phil

    PS: please pardon my cross post - I'm not certain which list is most appropriate for these questions.
    (East Bay) Phil, May 2, 2006

  2. (East Bay) Phil

    Jack Guest

    (East Bay) Phil <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com> wrote in
    news:20060502145249.652f49f3@localhost:

    > Hi, first timer here.
    >
    > I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I
    > wanted a SLR. It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm
    > thinking of buying the body as cheaply as possible and then finding a
    > reasonable multipurpose lens until the 18-200 becomes financially
    > accessible to me. I have a few questions.
    >
    > 1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over
    > this camera?
    >
    > 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some
    > places - royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera city - that
    > sell the body for around $300. Are these places for real? reputable?
    > I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.
    >
    > 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the
    > 18-70 a good place to start. Truth be told, most of my experience is
    > with a plain ol' pentax p3. :^D

    The Nikon D 50 is an excellent DSLR. I have one and find it does
    everything I need it to do. It has every manual control as well as all the
    automatic settings for point and shoot operation. I bought mine with the
    18-55 kit lens and I recently bought a used Nikon 70-210 AF f/4-5.6 lens. I
    also have two other digital cameras, A Canon G3 and a Sony W5, so I have
    cameras to compare it with. There is no comparison between the D50 and the
    others. I take lots of pictures of my grandchildren and as you know,
    children don't stand still. Only the D50 stops the action and gives me the
    shot I expected to get. The D50 does everything the D70S does except for
    stopping down so you can see the depth of field. If you don't need that,
    there's no reason to buy the D70. The pictures you will get with the D50
    will look just as good, if not better, as the D50 has less noise than the
    D70. As for the Rebel, it cost more and won't do anything the Nikon won't
    do. In addition, Canon lenses are more expensive, but no better than Nikon
    lenses.
    Jack, May 2, 2006

  3. (East Bay) Phil

    Bill Guest

    (East Bay) Phil <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com> wrote:

    >I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I wanted a SLR.
    > It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking of buying the body
    >as cheaply as possible and then finding a reasonable multipurpose lens until
    >the 18-200 becomes financially accessible to me. I have a few questions.

    First off, the Nikon 18-200mm isn't as great as it may seem. While it
    works reasonably well for a super zoom, it still suffers from many of
    the issues that all super zooms have (bad distortion at the short end,
    softness at the long end).

    It does have some benefits, like being capable of shooting wide open
    within a certain range, it has VR to help with camera shake issues, and
    most notably that it's a "does it all" lense.

    Personally I'd rather have a 2-3 good lenses that cover the same range
    and perform better.

    >1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over this camera?

    Perhaps.

    The D50 is just as capable as the others for capturing images, but the
    D70 and Canon XT have more controls and/or features. You'll have to
    decide if those controls and features are worth the added cost.

    >2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply?

    If you're buying online, I suggest you stick with the well-reputed
    names, like B&H. Many of the other places with great prices are likely
    to scam you in some way or another.

    >3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the
    >18-70 a good place to start.

    The Nikon 18-70mm is one of the better lenses to get bundled with a
    camera body - much better than the 18-55mm lenses you'll find in the
    kits with the D50 and XT. It has good optics, is fairly compact, has
    internal focus so the front element does not rotate, and it has a good
    zoom range which makes it an excellent walk around lense.

    Having said that, it does suffer from vignetting when used wide-open at
    18mm. And it's not an f/2.8 lense either.

    So it's not perfect, but it's very good, especially for the price. It's
    one of Nikons best examples of a price/performance gem.

    > Truth be told, most of my experience is with a plain ol' pentax p3. :^D

    Doesn't matter...photography hasn't really changed over the years, just
    the media to capture the image has changed.
    Bill, May 2, 2006
  4. (East Bay) Phil

    SMS Guest

    (East Bay) Phil wrote:
    > Hi, first timer here.
    >
    > I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I wanted a SLR. It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking of buying the body as cheaply as possible and then finding a reasonable multipurpose lens until the 18-200 becomes financially accessible to me. I have a few questions.
    >
    > 1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over this camera?

    Not if you're looking for the cheapest D-SLR that is worth buying. The
    Rebel XT does have several advantages over the D50, but Canon doesn't
    have an 18-70 lens like the Nikon. Canon has the 17-85 IS, which is a
    better lens, but much more expensive.

    > 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some places - royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera city - that sell the body for around $300. Are these places for real? reputable? I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.

    No.

    The body only is about $550. Reputable places are Adorama, B&H, Buydig,
    and Pictureline.

    > 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the 18-70 a good place to start.

    Yes.
    SMS, May 2, 2006
  5. (East Bay) Phil

    Bolshoy Huy Guest

    get the Olympus Evolt-500 kit.
    Bolshoy Huy, May 3, 2006
  6. (East Bay) Phil

    Cynicor Guest

    SMS wrote:
    >> 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the
    >> 18-70 a good place to start.

    > Yes.

    I have a bunch of good lenses now, but I usually use the 18-70 on my
    D200 as my walking-around lens.
    Cynicor, May 3, 2006
  7. (East Bay) Phil <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com> writes:
    > 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply?

    Adorama, B&H, Buydig.

    > I saw some places - royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera
    > city - that sell the body for around $300. Are these places for
    > real?

    You'll never get it for the advertised price from these places.

    > reputable?

    No.

    > I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.

    That as well, but the big scam is they are running is known as
    bait & switch. They bait you with a low price tag. Then they
    switch to a hard sell and talk you into paying a premium for stuff
    that is included in the box from a reputable dealer.

    A good place to check the reputation of dealers is:

    http://www.resellerratings.com/

    Bait & switch is not the only hazard if you are doing bargain
    hunting on the Internet. Take a look at this blog entry before
    you spring for that too-good-to-be-true deal:

    http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/blog/?p=18

    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z
    Gisle Hannemyr, May 3, 2006
  8. > >> 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the
    > >> 18-70 a good place to start.

    > > Yes.

    > I have a bunch of good lenses now, but I usually use the 18-70 on my
    > D200 as my walking-around lens.

    I don't suppose there's some store with a package deal including this lens and the body?

    I was just searching the sites which had been mentioned. It appears that the d50 body runs $550 or $400 for a refurb. The $400 price is right, but my only experience with refurbished electronics has been cdroms (not a good experience).
    (East Bay) Phil, May 3, 2006
  9. (East Bay) Phil

    Randy Howard Guest

    Gisle Hannemyr wrote
    (in article <>):

    > (East Bay) Phil <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com> writes:
    >> 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply?

    > Adorama, B&H, Buydig.

    I've never dealt with Buydig. When they claim it is "in stock",
    can you believe them? Anyone have any complaints?

    Online ratings of their service is a mixed bag.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    Randy Howard, May 3, 2006
  10. (East Bay) Phil

    LabRat Guest

    I have purchased 2 Canon dslr kits and a lens from BuyDig over the last 2
    years and have never had any problems. My latest purchase, a Canon 17-40mm
    L lens was ordered last wednesday and arrived three days later even though I
    elected for the cheapest shipping. I highly reccomend them to anyone.
    They have a refurbed 50D with 18-55mm kit lens for $489.

    LabRat

    LabRat, May 3, 2006
  11. (East Bay) Phil

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 00:38:36 GMT, Randy Howard
    <> wrote:

    >Gisle Hannemyr wrote
    >(in article <>):
    >
    >> (East Bay) Phil <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com> writes:
    >>> 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply?

    >> Adorama, B&H, Buydig.

    >I've never dealt with Buydig. When they claim it is "in stock",
    >can you believe them? Anyone have any complaints?
    >
    >Online ratings of their service is a mixed bag.

    I bought a C3030Z from them (BuyDig) several years ago, and although
    they did call back to "verify" the order (and, "Oh, by the way, do you
    want to buy ...?"), they sent only what I ordered, in good time, with
    no problems.
    Just my experience. :)
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, May 3, 2006
  12. (East Bay) Phil

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    According to (East Bay) Phil <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com>:
    > Hi, first timer here.
    >
    > I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I wanted a SLR. It seems
    > possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking of buying the body as cheaply as possible

    [ ... ]

    > 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some places - royal camera,
    > best price cameras, and cci camera city - that sell the body for around $300. Are these
    > places for real? reputable? I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they
    > sell.

    Beware that some of the vendors who sell via the web or via mail
    order and who offer seemingly too-good-to-be-true prices, will ask you
    to pay extra for things like the battery, the charger, and several other
    accessories which normally come with the camera as part of the standard
    price -- and that by the time you are through adding these to your
    purchase, you are back up to the price which you would have paid to a
    *reputable* dealer.

    There is a web page which rates these sellers, and I'm sure that
    someone else here either will post the URL, or has already done so.

    > 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the 18-70 a good place to
    > start. Truth be told, most of my experience is with a plain ol' pentax p3. :^D

    The Nikon 18-70 "kit" lens which normally comes with the D70
    (and I believe can come with the D50 as well at some price adjustment)
    is an excellent lens for the price. I got my D70 body only (and used it
    with other lenses) before going back to the store a year or so later and
    adding a 18-70mm kit lens to my collection. There are things which I
    still prefer the 28-105mm for (including its macro-capability), but the
    18-70 is more likely to be on the camera if I am carrying only the
    camera with a single lens -- unless I am expecting to need the
    capabilities of one of the other lenses.

    For that matter, if you can do without zoom, the 50mm f1.8 or
    50mm f1.4 are also very nice lenses -- light and quick to use. The 50mm
    focal length would be the equivalent (in coverage) of a 75mm lens on
    your old pentax -- assuming that the p3 is a 35mm film camera.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, May 3, 2006
  13. (East Bay) Phil

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 14:52:49 -0700, Phil wrote:

    > Hi, first timer here.
    >
    > I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I wanted a SLR. It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking of buying the body as cheaply as possible and then finding a reasonable multipurpose lens until the 18-200 becomes financially accessible to me. I have a few questions.
    >
    > 1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over this camera?
    >
    > 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some places - royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera city - that sell the body for around $300. Are these places for real? reputable? I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.
    >
    > 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the 18-70 a good place to start. Truth be told, most of my experience is with a plain ol' pentax p3. :^D
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Phil
    >
    > PS: please pardon my cross post - I'm not certain which list is most appropriate for these questions.

    The cross post is acceptable. The line length is far too long, I cannot
    remember how to do it in sylpheed but it was quite simple.

    --
    Neil
    Delete 'l' to reply
    Neil Ellwood, May 3, 2006
  14. (East Bay) Phil

    Freedom55 Guest

    Bolshoy Huy wrote:
    > get the Olympus Evolt-500 kit.

    I agree. Check out the E-500 before you make your purchase. I have done
    my homework and this is the one I am getting.

    Ron

    --
    And it really doesn't matter if
    I'm wrong I'm right

    Lennon & McCartney
    Freedom55, May 3, 2006
  15. (East Bay) Phil

    george Guest

    "DoN. Nichols" <> wrote in message
    > According to (East Bay) Phil
    > <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com>:
    >> Hi, first timer here.
    >>
    >> I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I
    >> wanted a SLR. It seems
    >> possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking of buying the body as
    >> cheaply as possible

    > [ ... ]
    >
    >> 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some
    >> places - royal camera,
    >> best price cameras, and cci camera city - that sell the body for around
    >> $300. Are these
    >> places for real? reputable? I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods,
    >> if that's what they
    >> sell.

    > Beware that some of the vendors who sell via the web or via mail
    > order and who offer seemingly too-good-to-be-true prices, will ask you
    > to pay extra for things like the battery, the charger, and several other
    > accessories which normally come with the camera as part of the standard
    > price -- and that by the time you are through adding these to your
    > purchase, you are back up to the price which you would have paid to a
    > *reputable* dealer.
    >
    > There is a web page which rates these sellers, and I'm sure that
    > someone else here either will post the URL, or has already done so.

    www.resellerratings.com to check out various dealers...and, I have seen the
    D50 (refurb) body for $379 from a reputable dealer with a good
    rating...don't recall who it was at the moment, but you can always use
    something like www.pricegrabber.com for that kind of search (still check
    resellerratings feedback).

    george, May 3, 2006
  16. (East Bay) Phil

    Jughandle Guest

    I read all the reviews, I read where the New York camera shops will
    bait and switch. Get you to buy then tell you that it will take two
    weeks or more for the camera to ship. Or they high pressure you to buy
    accessories and better yet, extended warranties. I was careful but I
    didn't entirely believe the stories. I thought that the whinners were
    inexperienced at online purchases or just easy to con. NOPE - all the
    stories were true. Here is how it went.

    First I shopped all the sites. I used all my search tricks to find the
    very lowest prices on the Minolta 5D that I wanted. (Yes, this all
    started with a Minolta). After all Konika-Minolta had gone out of the
    camera business and the prices should be dropping. Well, they did for a
    while. I finally found the camera, body only, at for just $399. WOW,
    that was a great price, but surely it would come down more? No, it went
    up $50 so then I started shopping again. I found it at for $399 a
    couple of days later so I decided that I should quit messing around and
    place the order. I placed the order with "Best Price Cameras" and
    didn't get a response. Nothing until the next day when I got an email
    from "Steve" saying that the order is not complete until I talk to him
    via telephone. Email orders are not complete until he comfirms it. I
    called the next day and it took over 3 hours to get him on the phone.
    First he tried to sell me a battery (was supposed to be part of the
    package) then a memory card ( 3 to 4 times the price of other sites)
    then he hit me with the extended warranty. After I convenced him that I
    didn't need any of these things he said that the price had gone up
    since I placed the order (over a $100 uncrease). I had looked at their
    site before I called and I was ready for the change. I told him to
    cancel the Minolta and make the order for the Nikon D50 with the 18-55
    lens that I saw for $485. I got 3 day shipping putting the total at
    $527.50. More than I wanted to spend but I was caught a little off
    guard and I wanted a camera in the worst way. Steve then said that the
    "that" camera wasn't in stock and it would take two week to get it.
    Crap! Send it any how. I was mad, and worried that in two weeks
    something else was going to happen. Sure enough it did. I emailed Steve
    that night to find out where the camera was. Some one else called back
    the next afternoon and said that the "Minolta" was ready to ship. What
    Minolta, I had ordered a Nikon. "Oh, the Nikon is still back ordered
    but the Minolta (at the higher price) was ready to ship." Great, I
    canceled the order!

    Back to the beginning. I started shopping again. Found another "good
    deal" by using at Prestige Camera, by this time I was willing to pay a
    little more to keep from getting jerked around again. The price at
    Prestige through Digitalsaver.com was $585 which included ground
    shipping for $25. Long story short, by the time I finished the checkout
    the price was $612. Now I'm pissed. Cancelled order.

    Back to shopping. Finally found Abes of Maine (really New York too).
    Placed the entire order on line (so far) the price of $622.89 includes
    2 day air shipping, full US warranty, a free 512mb memory card and all
    the manufacturer supplied accessories listed. Believe it or not that IS
    a big deal. The memory card, the battery and charger would have cost me
    at least $100 more with the other guys. So I lucked into actually
    getting a better deal. I got everything that I ordered and the camera
    is Great. I would do business with Abes of Maine again.
    Jughandle, May 3, 2006
  17. (East Bay) Phil

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 3 May 2006 05:14:58 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Jughandle"
    <> wrote:

    >I read all the reviews, I read where the New York camera shops will
    >bait and switch. Get you to buy then tell you that it will take two
    >weeks or more for the camera to ship. Or they high pressure you to buy
    >accessories and better yet, extended warranties. I was careful but I
    >didn't entirely believe the stories. I thought that the whinners were
    >inexperienced at online purchases or just easy to con.

    As has been mentioned in this groups NUMEROUS times before:
    http://www.resellerratings.com
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, May 3, 2006
  18. (East Bay) Phil

    george Guest

    "East Bay Phil" <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com> wrote in
    message news:20060502145249.652f49f3@localhost...
    > Hi, first timer here.
    >
    > I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I
    > wanted a SLR. It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking
    > of buying the body as cheaply as possible and then finding a reasonable
    > multipurpose lens until the 18-200 becomes financially accessible to me.
    > I have a few questions.
    >
    > 1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over this
    > camera?
    >
    > 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some
    > places - royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera city - that sell
    > the body for around $300. Are these places for real? reputable? I've
    > never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.
    >
    > 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the 18-70 a
    > good place to start. Truth be told, most of my experience is with a plain
    > ol' pentax p3. :^D
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Phil
    >
    > PS: please pardon my cross post - I'm not certain which list is most
    > appropriate for these questions.

    The quick answer: $399 (refurb) at www.beachcamera.com --- check out their
    feedback at www.resellerratings.com (it is among the best of the camera
    stores as of the date of this posting). Other reputable stores have it for
    the same price (like www.normancamera.com).
    george, May 3, 2006

  19. > > get the Olympus Evolt-500 kit.

    > I agree. Check out the E-500 before you make your purchase. I have
    > done my homework and this is the one I am getting.

    I'll look into this. The only concern I've read of so far was that
    there are some noise issues.

    Given that the E-500 costs more, what sold you on it (over the nikon,
    if that was in consideration)?

    (East Bay) Phil, May 3, 2006
  20. (East Bay) Phil

    SMS Guest

    (East Bay) Phil wrote:
    >>> get the Olympus Evolt-500 kit.
    >>>

    >> I agree. Check out the E-500 before you make your purchase. I have
    >> done my homework and this is the one I am getting.

    > I'll look into this. The only concern I've read of so far was that
    > there are some noise issues.
    >
    > Given that the E-500 costs more, what sold you on it (over the nikon,
    > if that was in consideration)?

    I'd avoid the E-500 due to the noise issues. Also, there is no upgrade
    path with Olympus, nor is there a good selection of lenses. With Nikon,
    you have huge availability of lenses, both new, used, and third-party.
    SMS, May 3, 2006