Question about battery of a laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hi,
    I have bought a Toshiba A60-JL1 laptop computer several weeks ago.
    Then we noticed that the battery indicator would turn to brown from
    green for more than 5, or 7 seconds even if we pluged power line from
    wall and then pluged it back for a little time interval such as
    several seconds. The computer was turned off then.

    The first time my wife used it on battery for about 25 minutes. It was
    only the laptop, no any extra devices connected, not using 802.11
    connection, not using DVD/CD drive. We found that it was about 40
    hours for the power indicator from charging (brown) to full (green).
    Days after, there was a temperory line power brown-out which resulted
    in all the electronics appliances in our home reset. We found that the
    battery indicator of the laptop turned to brown from green again. This
    time it turned back to green after up to 10 minutes or so after line
    power restored.

    The information about battery in the manual is very limited. I have
    asked the salesman about the long charging time. He told me that it
    should take 2-3 hours to charge the battery to full capacity.
    Yesterday, my wife made a battery test by running the laptop using
    battery for more than 1 hour until its capacity was about 35%. This
    time it charged to full capacity in about 2 hours. It seemed normal.

    I still have concern about the too long charging time in our first
    using. Is it normal for a new laptop?

    Thanks in advance
    Jeff, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Jeff

    Thor Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have bought a Toshiba A60-JL1 laptop computer several weeks ago.
    > Then we noticed that the battery indicator would turn to brown from
    > green for more than 5, or 7 seconds even if we pluged power line from
    > wall and then pluged it back for a little time interval such as
    > several seconds. The computer was turned off then.
    >
    > The first time my wife used it on battery for about 25 minutes. It was
    > only the laptop, no any extra devices connected, not using 802.11
    > connection, not using DVD/CD drive. We found that it was about 40
    > hours for the power indicator from charging (brown) to full (green).
    > Days after, there was a temperory line power brown-out which resulted
    > in all the electronics appliances in our home reset. We found that the
    > battery indicator of the laptop turned to brown from green again. This
    > time it turned back to green after up to 10 minutes or so after line
    > power restored.
    >
    > The information about battery in the manual is very limited. I have
    > asked the salesman about the long charging time. He told me that it
    > should take 2-3 hours to charge the battery to full capacity.
    > Yesterday, my wife made a battery test by running the laptop using
    > battery for more than 1 hour until its capacity was about 35%. This
    > time it charged to full capacity in about 2 hours. It seemed normal.
    >
    > I still have concern about the too long charging time in our first
    > using. Is it normal for a new laptop?

    Depending on what type of battery it has, it may require a few
    discharge/recharge cycles before the battery will take a full capacity
    charge. I say give it a little while, use the battery up, then recharge it a
    few times and see if thing normalize, or remain normal. Rechargeables can
    act strange the first couple of times you use them.

    Thor, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Jeff

    Adam Steiner Guest

    www.batteryuniversity.com

    Adam Steiner, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    The battery is Lithium ion type. Someone has the similar experience?

    Jeff, Sep 3, 2004