Question About avast! Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kyle :o\), Feb 23, 2006.

  1. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    Twice in the past 2 days I've had a file, ccleaner's setup file, come up
    with warnings from my avast antivirus that it was "possibly dangerous" and
    asked me if I wanted to send it anyhow. Of course I did, sending one copy
    to myself at work and the other to a co-worker. The copy I sent my
    co-worker arrived fine. But the one I sent myself at work, on a PC also
    running avast, never arrived. So out of curiosity I Winzip'd the exe file
    (after downloading it) to myself back home this evening and again ... it
    never arrived.

    Does avast have the ability to not allow and/or delete files it thinks are
    dangerous without even warning me? At home I use Mailwasher 4.7 to
    pre-screen everything coming in and never saw it arrive, nor when I
    downloaded the new mail into Thunderbird 1.5. It just seems odd that prior
    to using avast I never had issues with sending myself (either home-to-work
    or work-to-home) exe files or Winzip files. Yet now I'm having issues.

    Or ... can a mail server pre-determine what it will and will not send or
    receive and not give any warning or notice that it is deleting mail? It's
    just odd that this same setup file doesn't go through. I was checking
    around and someone else that uses avast at home sent themselves the setup
    file for Windows Defender and had issues where the file was not able to be
    downloaded ... but I could not get clear if it was the ISP or avast causing
    the issue.

    I just feel that I am smart enough to determine what is and what is not a
    good file for me to download and don't want my ISP or any programs blocking
    things without checking with me first. If I am stupid enough to open
    something ... then it can complain ... but not before. It's starting to
    sound too much like the government ;-)

    --
    Kyle :eek:)

    Reply address is fake. Don't ask for the real one, a troll named Lookout
    sent enough spam and viruses that I shut it down.
    Kyle :o\), Feb 23, 2006

  2. Kyle :o\)

    Mike Easter Guest

    Kyle :eek:) wrote:

    > Or ... can a mail server pre-determine what it will and will not send
    > or receive and not give any warning or notice that it is deleting
    > mail?

    Yes.

    The business of what I call 'dropping on the floor' -- silently deleting
    an item because it has been deemed undesirable because it has been
    diagnosed erroneously as being spam or a viral propagation - is an
    extremely troublesome problem.

    Having a clue about what is going on and knowing about something getting
    lost is one thing -- but imagine that 'some' of your goodmail just
    disappears. The sender doesn't know it is lost, and the recipient
    doesn't know that it is lost. It is secretly lost lost.

    No one is trying to solve the problem because no one knows the mail is
    lost. Normally no one goes to the trouble of saying, 'I received your
    mail re...' And they can't possibly say, 'I didn't receive any mail
    from you about...'

    It is very infuriating. You can't even say, 'What happened to item such
    and such? ... because there is no record of any such thing. The
    would-be recipient doesn't even know of its existence. The sender has
    no message id to trace the lost item with because typically the message
    id isn't stamped on the Sent mail item.

    The filtering method of dropping 'certain things' on the floor is an
    unacceptable filtering strategy. My mail provider doesn't do that. If
    I configure to do so, I have access to every [so-called] piece of spam
    and every [so-called] viral propagation which comes toward my mailbox.

    My provider has misdiagnosed items as virals which were not. Those
    which it did happened to be 'just' spams, but the diagnosis was
    incorrect, in any case.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 23, 2006

  3. Kyle :o\)

    Paul_B Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:49:55 -0500, Kyle :eek:) wrote:

    > Does avast have the ability to not allow and/or delete files it thinks are
    > dangerous without even warning me?

    Yes, but you have to authorize it to do so. You can check your
    settings at the On-Access Scanner/Internet Mail/Heuristics tab,
    under Silent mode. With the Low Sensitivity setting, you can spec
    the mail to be delivered marked.

    p.
    Paul_B, Feb 23, 2006