    Many thanks to anyone who can explain this sig to me.

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Ionizer

    °Mike° Guest

    You're looking at a link that grabs certain info, such
    as this page does (only in much more detail), and
    places it in the signature:
    http://www.cyscape.com/showbrow.asp?all=1

    As for where you would "acquire" such a capability,
    and/or image, as Edwin, the owner of the signature.

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:35:43 -0400, in
    <>
    Ionizer scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Ionizer wrote:

    > I'm looking at a Signature in a forum post which identifies my IP address,
    > OS and browser, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly
    > it is that I'm looking at, and perhaps how I might "acquire," if that's
    > even the appropriate term, such a file, if THAT'S even the appropriate
    > term. Clicking on the signature redirects to "a random place on the
    > internet," all of which seem quite innocent based on half a dozen clicks
    > (other forums, the SpyBot S&D site, etc.) Right-clicking on it seems to
    > tell me nothing of value, aside from the fact that the image is located at
    > http://edwin.netbits.co.uk/signature-new.php
    >
    > Here is the forum post I am referring to:

    http://forums.netbits.co.uk/showthread.php?s=1dab96685bc73d2bb81365fc4cd8ef25&t=105

    > Many thanks to anyone who can explain this sig to me.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    That information is generated by a few lines of code, written either in some
    application running on the server (in which case it is fed to you with the
    web page), or with a few lines of Javascript (in which case the code tells
    Javascript, running on your machine, to "fill in the blanks"). The
    information is readily available to the web site from your browser. If you
    want to have something like that on your page, you need to (a) find code to
    do that (for server-side apps there will be various flavors in various
    server-side languages such as PHP), and (b) ensure that, if you want to use
    the server-side app, your web site provider supports whatever application
    it is that you want to use--you may have to pay them extra in order to use
    it. And, of course, a Javascript widget won't work if a user viewing the
    page has JS interpretation turned off on his/her browser--an increasingly
    prevalent practice.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 30, 2004
  4. Ionizer

    JB Guest

    Ionizer you tried to belittle me but failed, I have nothing against you, so
    here it is and a few more, it works on a linux server but not sure about the
    others
    The image you are referring to has the source blocked, not sure about that
    but,

    Simply place the following in a blank notepad and save with a .shtml
    extension

    to display IP address of visitor: <!--#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR" -->
    to display referring URL: <!--#echo var="HTTP_REFERER" -->
    to display users browser: <!--#echo var="HTTP_USER_AGENT" -->
    to display requested URL: <!--#echo var="REQUEST_URI" -->
    your server name: <!--#echo var="HTTP_HOST" -->

    unsure about the other

    but this should work, depends on your server

    JB, Jul 30, 2004
  5. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "JB" <> wrote in message
    > Ionizer you tried to belittle me but failed, I have nothing against you,

    so...

    Yes I do recall, although due to your ever-changing name, I did wonder for
    a moment who it was I might have previously "tried to belittle but
    failed." Thanks for your response, but I will take it under guarded
    advisement.

    I've come to trust Mike's responses, along with those of a select number
    of others including (amongst others) Gary, Unk, Toolman Tim and the
    recently-absent Slumpy, but I have no such faith in yours. And now that
    we've all witnessed your little flurry of juvenile responses to a bunch of
    Mike's earlier posts, I'd imagine that very few regulars in this group
    would have much faith in any advice you might have to offer.

    Unfortunately your recent behaviour has at least temporarily undermined
    the potential value of your further contributions to this newsgroup.
    That's too bad really, because you might actually have something to
    contribute! I'd recommend that you stop screwing around- stick with one
    name and decide if you want to be a viable participant in this newsgroup
    or not.

    Regards,
    Ian.
    (For better or worse, I have always posted to Usenet as "Ionizer")
    Ionizer, Jul 30, 2004
  6. Ionizer

    JB Guest

    I forgot to mention that the browser can be easily spoofed with a simple
    tweak of the registry, so is not always reliable

    JB, Jul 31, 2004
  7. Ionizer

    JB Guest

    So you will not use it then?

    JB, Jul 31, 2004
  8. Ionizer wrote:
    > "JB" <> wrote in message
    >> Ionizer you tried to belittle me but failed, I have nothing against you,

    > so...

    > Yes I do recall, although due to your ever-changing name, I did wonder for
    > a moment who it was I might have previously "tried to belittle but
    > failed." Thanks for your response, but I will take it under guarded
    > advisement.

    > I've come to trust Mike's responses, along with those of a select number
    > of others including (amongst others) Gary, Unk, Toolman Tim and the
    > recently-absent Slumpy, but I have no such faith in yours. And now that
    > we've all witnessed your little flurry of juvenile responses to a bunch of
    > Mike's earlier posts, I'd imagine that very few regulars in this group

    Was that that spate of bot-like replies to *Mike*, that made no sense
    (didn't parse) in the first place? I don't remember what nick sent
    them.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 31, 2004
  9. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    > Was that that spate of bot-like replies to *Mike*, that made no sense
    > (didn't parse) in the first place? I don't remember what nick sent
    > them.

    Yes, those are the ones. James, in his various minor incarnations, has
    done little to establish credibility beyond troll status since his recent
    appearance in this newsgroup.

    Thanks for the "Important Health Reminder" by the way, although it comes
    too late to save me.

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jul 31, 2004
  10. Ionizer wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >> Was that that spate of bot-like replies to *Mike*, that made no sense
    >> (didn't parse) in the first place? I don't remember what nick sent
    >> them.

    > Yes, those are the ones. James, in his various minor incarnations,
    > has done little to establish credibility beyond troll status since his
    > recent appearance in this newsgroup.

    > Thanks for the "Important Health Reminder" by the way, although it
    > comes too late to save me.

    It's there because *I* was slow to learn, too: I have three legal[1]
    exes. :)

    [1]As contrasts "exes" in the language of today's yoots[2], which can
    mean "someone I was banging for three or four days" last week".

    [2]"Did you say "yoots"?[3]

    [3]"Oh, excuse me, Your Honor..."

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 31, 2004