question about a blocked attack including other's IP address

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by yellow submarine, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Please, can any of you make any sense of the following? Please let me know
    via newsgroup. Thanks.
    CustName: Comcast Cable Communications, IP Services
    Address: 3 Executive Campus
    Address: 5th Floor
    City: Cherry Hill
    StateProv: NJ
    PostalCode: 08002
    Country: US
    RegDate: 2003-06-19
    Updated: 2003-06-19

    NetRange: 67.168.128.0 - 67.168.191.255
    CIDR: 67.168.128.0/18
    NetName: WASHINGTON-5
    NetHandle: NET-67-168-128-0-1
    Parent: NET-67-160-0-0-1
    NetType: Reassigned
    Comment: NONE
    RegDate: 2003-06-19
    Updated: 2003-06-19

    OrgAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN
    OrgAbuseName: Network Abuse and Policy Observance
    OrgAbusePhone: +1-856-317-7272
    OrgAbuseEmail:

    OrgTechHandle: IC161-ARIN
    OrgTechName: Comcast Cable Communications, Inc.
    OrgTechPhone: +1-856-317-7300
    OrgTechEmail:

    yellow submarine, Sep 30, 2003

  2. yellow submarine

    trout Guest

    yellow submarine wrote:

    > Please, can any of you make any sense of the following? Please let me
    > know via newsgroup. Thanks.
    > CustName: Comcast Cable Communications, IP Services

    <snip>

    I'm curious about what, in your opinion, constitutes an "attack"?
    --
    "What firewall do you use?"

    trout, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Norton personal firewall 2003, and why should that matter?

    yellow submarine, Sep 30, 2003
  4. yellow submarine

    trout Guest

    yellow submarine wrote:

    > Norton personal firewall 2003, and why should that matter?

    What matters; is if you are interpreting normal background net
    activity as "attacks". If you try to trace every ping, and consider it a
    malicious act; it's going to be a full-time job.
    If you are doing this out of curiosity; I'm sure someone will give
    you more information about what this is. I'm just saying that there's no
    real *need* to know, and no cause for suspicion unless it the same IP a
    great number of times over a period of time. Most people just turn the
    alerts off, and let the firewall do its job.

    trout, Sep 30, 2003
  5. yellow submarine

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, that is a whois lookup for Comcast. What's your question?

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:09:24 GMT, in
    <oB5eb.45658$>
    "yellow submarine" <I _want no spam> scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Norton firewall sent it from their site.

    yellow submarine, Sep 30, 2003
  7. yellow submarine Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in
    <YQ5eb.45677$>:

    > Norton personal firewall 2003, and why should that matter?

    How many times did it happen? What port did it come on?

    If it happened once, twice, or even three times, it could have been
    normal traffic noise or a few packets that got lost somehow. However,
    if it happenned over 10 to 20 times, it might have been an attack or
    a virus. (Depends on the port. <G>)

    So, how many times did it happen, and what port was it on?

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Sep 30, 2003
  8. yellow submarine

    Boomer Guest

    yellow submarine wrote:

    > Norton firewall sent it from their site.
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes, that is a whois lookup for Comcast. What's your question?

    As Mike asked, "What's your question?".

    Boomer, Sep 30, 2003
  9. yellow submarine

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "yellow submarine" <I _want no spam> wrote in

    > Norton firewall sent it from their site.

    <big snip>

    Read this:
    <http://www.samspade.org/d/firewalls.html>

    Especially this bit:

    "Why is an end user going to buy / register / upgrade their 'personal
    firewall'? They're not going to do so if they don't perceive any benefit
    from it. If it were a properly written application that just sat there,
    doing its job quietly in the background, users would forget it was there.
    But if it pops up warnings about 'attacks' all the time then it's clearly
    Doing Something. Most of those warnings are entirely frivolous - normal
    network traffic. And the remaining few... well... if the 'personal
    firewall' has protected your system from the supposed 'attack'... why do
    you care about it? You're safe from that supposed 'attack', right? So why
    pop up warnings and alerts? To make you feel you're getting a service
    from this program and so you'll pay for updates or 'Pro' versions."

    And this bit:

    " Turn off all the alerts and logging - you'll just waste your time (and,
    more importantly to me, my time and the time of other network
    administrators your complaints go to) increase your blood pressure and
    provide no benefit to you. If you really want to leave them turned on and
    see where traffic is coming from, feel free, but remember that most of
    the traffic you see is harmless, and that even if it isn't harmless it
    can't affect your system (if it could, it wouldn't be logged). Oh, and
    try not to waste admins time with frivolous complaints.

    "But, but, but reporting these alerts to network administrators will help
    them catch crackers!"

    Uhm, no. I know a whole bunch of network security and abuse staff. The
    response to any complaint with ZoneAlarm, BlackIce etc logfiles in it is
    to close the ticket, usually with an annotation like 'GWF' (Goober with
    Firewall). 99% of those reports are frivolous, about normal network
    traffic. In the remainder of cases there's nowhere near enough data in
    the logfiles to provide any idea of why the end user is upset. If you
    send frivolous complaints that just wastes the time of the staff
    receiving them and prevents them from handling real security issues. How
    do you tell if a complaint is frivolous? If the sender doesn't understand
    basic networking, it's almost certainly frivolous. If the sender is
    complaining based on 'personal firewall' logs, it's definitely frivolous.

    The abuse desk staff I talk with hate users of 'personal firewalls' more
    than they hate spammers. That should tell you something about how useful
    your complaints will be."

    ----
    Did you read it?

    Petit Alexi, Sep 30, 2003
  10. yellow submarine

    °Mike° Guest

    What the heck does that mean? That's not a question.

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:09:43 GMT, in
    <HDceb.37487$>

    °Mike°, Sep 30, 2003
  11. 3 - 4 times, same IP address. the person(s) that fixed my computer told me
    to worry about all of that stuff.

    yellow submarine, Sep 30, 2003
  12. really funny

    yellow submarine, Sep 30, 2003
  13. oh well, sorry. i got a little hyper. I'm not in the mood of having another
    worm on my computer.

    yellow submarine, Sep 30, 2003
  14. yellow submarine

    °Mike° Guest

    Huh? Please post again when you can make sense.

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:39:50 GMT, in
    <a_keb.38038$>

    °Mike°, Sep 30, 2003
  15. **** you too