    card is Crossfire compatible but my motherboard saying nothing about it.
    Thanks!

    Amit

    Amit Roy, Jan 31, 2008

  2. Amit Roy

    Paul Guest

    Amit Roy wrote:
    > Last year I made my first attempt at building a computer. My
    > motherboard is
    > an ASUS M2N32SLI - Premium Vista Edition. It has 2 x PCIe slots. Back
    > then I had no idea between nVIDIA and ATI chipsets and I put in an ATI
    > x1650
    > Pro video card, which was on sale. Now I know I should have put in an SLI
    > card because it would have allowed me to put in a second card and double
    > bump the GPU performance. Which brings me to my question: If I put in
    > another ATI X1650 Pro card in my second PCIe slot will it do anything?
    > Since I have 2 PCIe slots can I use Crossfire with a second X1650 card?
    > The
    > card is Crossfire compatible but my motherboard saying nothing about it.
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Amit

    Do you see any Nvidia chipsets in this list of Crossfire ready
    motherboards ? (No)

    http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/buildyourown1.html

    And buying another X1650 Pro would be a waste of money anyway.
    There are nicer GPUs now, at reasonable prices, and you'd only
    need one of them. By using a geometry shrink, the power consumption
    drops, and you get more for your money.

    Sell your existing X1650 Pro and make a new plan.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 1, 2008

  3. Amit Roy

    flambe Guest

    SLI and Crossfire at most add about 20% in performance: they are very
    overhyped compared to the cost of adding a second high end video card.
    Nvidia is now peddling a chipset that can take 3 video cards at a time. I'm
    sure somebody will buy into it. The real world performance boost from two
    video cards is negligible if you are already running a high end video card,
    particularly an Nvidia 8800. You are better off, if 3d gaming is important
    to you, just buying one of these cards. SLI can cause problems with some
    non-gaming computer tasks and does not work properly with all video games.
    If you are not heavily into 3d games it is pointless to buy a high end video
    card at all unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket.
    By the way, in real world terms, the ATI 1650 is a very good video card. If
    you go for the Nvidia 8800, or even the new hi end ATI card (the model
    number escapes me) which most tests show is neglibly "slower" than the 8800,
    you are not going to be overwhelmed by the differences although they are not
    hard to distinguish.

    flambe, Feb 1, 2008