    do you know if improvements have
    been made in the transfer?
    Thanks

    John Davis, Nov 10, 2003

  2. John Davis

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "John Davis" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    > I have the 2001 release of 2001
    > and I just don't like the quality.
    > It seems to grainy. All the detail
    > looks jagged. I noticed that it
    > has been released again in 2003.
    > Has anyone seen that version and
    > do you know if improvements have
    > been made in the transfer?
    > Thanks

    Where did you notice that _2001: A Space Odyssey_ has been released
    again in 2003?

    Scot Gardner, Nov 10, 2003

  3. John Davis wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have the 2001 release of 2001
    > and I just don't like the quality.
    > It seems to grainy. All the detail
    > looks jagged. I noticed that it
    > has been released again in 2003.
    > Has anyone seen that version and
    > do you know if improvements have
    > been made in the transfer?
    > Thanks

    May I assume you are watching it on a 4:3, analog tv? The jagged lines
    would then be chalked up to the downconversion from anamorphic, and not
    a flaw in the transfer itself. To get the full resolution from an
    anamorphic picture you need a tv that can display one, such as an HDTV
    or one of those rare analog tvs that can "squeeze" an anamorphic picture
    into a 4:3 frame, keeping the resolution. Apart from that, I haven't
    noticed any graininess. I saw it in 70mm and grain was hard to spot
    even then.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 10, 2003
  4. John Davis

    John Davis Guest

    > Where did you notice that _2001: A Space Odyssey_ has been released
    > again in 2003?

    Amazon.com shows a copyright of 2003
    and the copyright 2001 version is out of stock.

    John Davis, Nov 13, 2003
  5. John Davis

    John Davis Guest

    > May I assume you are watching it on a 4:3, analog tv? The jagged lines
    > would then be chalked up to the downconversion from anamorphic, and not
    > a flaw in the transfer itself. To get the full resolution from an
    > anamorphic picture you need a tv that can display one, such as an HDTV
    > or one of those rare analog tvs that can "squeeze" an anamorphic picture
    > into a 4:3 frame, keeping the resolution. Apart from that, I haven't
    > noticed any graininess. I saw it in 70mm and grain was hard to spot
    > even then.

    I am watching it on a Sony 52 inch widescreen projection tv
    that I just picked up. No mater how I set it, Wide Zoom, Normal
    Full or Zoom, it does not look smooth. The detail looks jagged
    to me. I also went out and got gold plated component cables too.
    Other dvds look better to me.

    John Davis, Nov 13, 2003
  6. John Davis

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "John Davis" <> wrote in message
    > > Where did you notice that _2001: A Space Odyssey_ has been released
    > > again in 2003?

    > Amazon.com shows a copyright of 2003
    > and the copyright 2001 version is out of stock.

    Well, the Amazon release date of June 3, 2003 is a Tuesday.

    However, the out of stock _2001_ is the old, non-anamorphic, re-packaged
    8/25/98 MGM version that Warner released in 6/29/99.

    It would seem that if there had been a new version -- with any
    changes -- there would have been some kind of announcement.

    Scot Gardner, Nov 13, 2003
  7. It's the same as the second-reissue, it just has a different UPC and a
    different MSRP, that's all. It happens all of the time when studios
    want to downgrade the prices of existing DVDs.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 14, 2003
  8. John Davis

    DarkMatter Guest

    On 12 Nov 2003 19:05:07 -0800, (John Davis) Gave
    us:

    >I am watching it on a Sony 52 inch widescreen projection tv
    >that I just picked up. No mater how I set it, Wide Zoom, Normal
    >Full or Zoom, it does not look smooth. The detail looks jagged
    >to me. I also went out and got gold plated component cables too.
    >Other dvds look better to me.

    You should be able to measure down the left or right edge of the
    video being played, and take that length across the top or bottom edge
    2.35 times.

    That is 2 and 1/3 times. If you do not have that measure ratio,
    either your DVD player or you monitor is setup incorrectly for the
    job. If that is the case, THAT is why you would see problems.

    I suspect that your DVD player is putting out full screen video with
    letterboxed information coming out. It should be setup to put out the
    wide anamorphic information now.

    Then, the TV should be setup for wide information input. That would
    be NO ZOOMS EVER, set it to normal.. Then fire up your DVDs!

    DarkMatter, Nov 14, 2003
  9. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU Grand Inquisitor
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is Pink?"
    > It's the same as the second-reissue, it just has a different UPC and a
    > different MSRP, that's all. It happens all of the time when studios
    > want to downgrade the prices of existing DVDs.

    Yep, its now selling for $14.99 at my store. Tho I don't regret paying
    $19.99 for it when it first came out, the disc has gotten a few viewings
    since then (along with two trips to a local theater that was doing a 70mm
    revival showing a few years back).

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Nov 14, 2003
  10. John Davis

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "DarkMatter" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On 12 Nov 2003 19:05:07 -0800, (John Davis) Gave
    > us:
    >
    > >I am watching it on a Sony 52 inch widescreen projection tv
    > >that I just picked up. No mater how I set it, Wide Zoom, Normal
    > >Full or Zoom, it does not look smooth. The detail looks jagged
    > >to me. I also went out and got gold plated component cables too.
    > >Other dvds look better to me.

    > You should be able to measure down the left or right edge of the
    > video being played, and take that length across the top or bottom edge
    > 2.35 times.
    >
    > That is 2 and 1/3 times. If you do not have that measure ratio,
    > either your DVD player or you monitor is setup incorrectly for the
    > job. If that is the case, THAT is why you would see problems.
    >
    > I suspect that your DVD player is putting out full screen video with
    > letterboxed information coming out. It should be setup to put out the
    > wide anamorphic information now.
    >
    > Then, the TV should be setup for wide information input. That would
    > be NO ZOOMS EVER, set it to normal.. Then fire up your DVDs!

    If the TV in question does not have the ability to compress anamorphic
    images, the stair-step effect on horizontal scan lines that outline the
    diagonal edges of objects will be impossible to remove. This is the
    worst of the down-conversion artifacts.

    For those who don't know, down-conversion is a destructive process which
    tears away one of every four horizontal scan lines from an anamorphic
    image and then pastes together the remaining 75% of the original picture
    information. There is no DVD player that can repair the damage caused by
    this ruinous procedure.

    Sure, some players do a better job of patching up the down-converted
    image, but all down-converted images look lousy. Some just look lousier
    than others.

    Scot Gardner, Nov 14, 2003
  11. John Davis

    John Davis Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message news:<20031114111701.780$>...
    > "DarkMatter" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > On 12 Nov 2003 19:05:07 -0800, (John Davis) Gave
    > > us:
    > >
    > > >I am watching it on a Sony 52 inch widescreen projection tv
    > > >that I just picked up. No mater how I set it, Wide Zoom, Normal
    > > >Full or Zoom, it does not look smooth. The detail looks jagged
    > > >to me. I also went out and got gold plated component cables too.
    > > >Other dvds look better to me.

    > > You should be able to measure down the left or right edge of the
    > > video being played, and take that length across the top or bottom edge
    > > 2.35 times.
    > >
    > > That is 2 and 1/3 times. If you do not have that measure ratio,
    > > either your DVD player or you monitor is setup incorrectly for the
    > > job. If that is the case, THAT is why you would see problems.
    > >
    > > I suspect that your DVD player is putting out full screen video with
    > > letterboxed information coming out. It should be setup to put out the
    > > wide anamorphic information now.
    > >
    > > Then, the TV should be setup for wide information input. That would
    > > be NO ZOOMS EVER, set it to normal.. Then fire up your DVDs!

    > If the TV in question does not have the ability to compress anamorphic
    > images, the stair-step effect on horizontal scan lines that outline the
    > diagonal edges of objects will be impossible to remove. This is the
    > worst of the down-conversion artifacts.
    >
    > For those who don't know, down-conversion is a destructive process which
    > tears away one of every four horizontal scan lines from an anamorphic
    > image and then pastes together the remaining 75% of the original picture
    > information. There is no DVD player that can repair the damage caused by
    > this ruinous procedure.
    >
    > Sure, some players do a better job of patching up the down-converted
    > image, but all down-converted images look lousy. Some just look lousier
    > than others.

    My dvd player wasn't set to 16:9 it was on 4:3.
    It seemed to improve things when i set it to 16:9.
    Thanks for everyones help.

    John Davis, Nov 15, 2003
  12. John Davis

    DarkMatter Guest

    On 15 Nov 2003 10:26:38 -0800, (John Davis) Gave
    us:

    >My dvd player wasn't set to 16:9 it was on 4:3.
    >It seemed to improve things when i set it to 16:9.
    >Thanks for everyones help.

    I had a feeling that was it.

    DarkMatter, Nov 16, 2003
  13. John Davis

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "John Davis" <> wrote in message
    <<My dvd player wasn't set to 16:9 it was on 4:3. It seemed to improve
    things when i set it to 16:9. Thanks for everyones help.>>

    This means that you were down-converting all anamorphic material.

    Scot Gardner, Nov 16, 2003
  14. John Davis

    FinalFlight Guest

    In article
    <>
    (John Davis) wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have the 2001 release of 2001
    > and I just don't like the quality.
    > It seems to grainy. All the detail
    > looks jagged. I noticed that it
    > has been released again in 2003.
    > Has anyone seen that version and
    > do you know if improvements have
    > been made in the transfer?
    > Thanks

    The new version (released in June 2003) is magnificent.
    It contains the original intro music that plays for
    several minutes before the movie starts, and the full
    intermission with music. This is a VAST improvement
    over the earlier DVD version. If you have a widescreen
    TV it is a wonder to behold. 2001 has not looked this
    good since its original 70mm theatrical presentation. I
    know because I saw it on a cinerama screen in 1968.

    If you are a big fan of the movie you will want the
    newest version.

    -=-
    This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

    FinalFlight, Nov 20, 2003