    Thanks in advance for any help pointing me at some tutorial kind of
    information about basic wireless networks.
    Bill

    Bill & Debbie, Jun 17, 2007

  2. Hi
    As far as the PCMCIA card goes, you plug it to the Laptop, load the drivers,
    and configure the Wireless connection with its own utility or Windows
    Wireless Zero Configuration.
    The following links might help in doing the above.
    As for the Linksys Music Bridge. I am not familiar with this device per-se,
    however, in most cases devices like this need to be connected first to a
    computer so that you can configure it to be compatible with you Router (like
    matching IP range and security) once it configured correctly on a computer
    it can be plugged to the Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 17, 2007

  3. Hi,
    Thanks for your response. I looked at the links you suggested. The problem
    is they sort of beat around the bush by saying because setup menus are so
    different between brands, you just have to follow the products instructions.
    I realize that there are differences in the user interfaces between the
    different products config setup software. I'm guessing that no matter how
    different these program interfaces may appear to be, they all require the
    same information in order to configure their product. It's a list of this
    information I would like to see. Also, whether the information can be set
    up automatically or it has to be set up manually. I think armed with such
    information, not matter how much a product's installation documentation
    seems to have been written by monkeys on drugs, a person could wade thru it.

    Thanks in advance for any help in the pursuit of "this holy grail".
    Bill

    Bill & Debbie, Jun 18, 2007
  4. Hi
    The whole point of these pages is to list the process in general terms.
    You would have to extrapolate the information from them and understand the
    process in general.
    Installation of the Buffalo card as well as the utilities etc. is available
    here, http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/
    Pull down the menu and choose your model number.
    This Linksys page has User Guides and Setup Wizards,
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...822026&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    Beyond that I am afraid you would need to seek on site professional help.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 18, 2007
  5. Bill & Debbie

    Chuck Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:57:06 -0400, "Bill & Debbie" <> wrote:

    >"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> wrote in message

    >> "Bill & Debbie" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm looking for overview types of information about wireless networks.
    >>> In simple terms how the router and clients become part of the network. I
    >>> have a simple wireless network. TP running WinXP, Buffalo router
    >>> connected to DSL, Buffalo PCMCIA wireless adapter, Linksys Music Bridge.
    >>>
    >>> The documentation that came with these products leaves something to be
    >>> desired about how to connect them to the network and have them "play
    >>> pretty". If I had a basic understanding about how the clients connect
    >>> and also how security figures in for the wireless network, I believe the
    >>> documentation that came with the products would make more sense.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for any help pointing me at some tutorial kind of
    >>> information about basic wireless networks.
    >>> Bill

    >> Hi
    >> As far as the PCMCIA card goes, you plug it to the Laptop, load the
    >> drivers, and configure the Wireless connection with its own utility or
    >> Windows Wireless Zero Configuration.
    >> The following links might help in doing the above.
    >> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >> Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> As for the Linksys Music Bridge. I am not familiar with this device
    >> per-se, however, in most cases devices like this need to be connected
    >> first to a computer so that you can configure it to be compatible with you
    >> Router (like matching IP range and security) once it configured correctly
    >> on a computer it can be plugged to the Router.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >Hi,
    >Thanks for your response. I looked at the links you suggested. The problem
    >is they sort of beat around the bush by saying because setup menus are so
    >different between brands, you just have to follow the products instructions.
    >I realize that there are differences in the user interfaces between the
    >different products config setup software. I'm guessing that no matter how
    >different these program interfaces may appear to be, they all require the
    >same information in order to configure their product. It's a list of this
    >information I would like to see. Also, whether the information can be set
    >up automatically or it has to be set up manually. I think armed with such
    >information, not matter how much a product's installation documentation
    >seems to have been written by monkeys on drugs, a person could wade thru it.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help in the pursuit of "this holy grail".
    >Bill

    Bill,

    See if my overview documents are of any interest.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/11/setting-up-wifi-lan.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/11/setting-up-wifi-lan.html
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/setting-up-wifi-lan-please-protect.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/setting-up-wifi-lan-please-protect.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Jun 18, 2007
  6. "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:57:06 -0400, "Bill & Debbie" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> wrote in message

    >>> "Bill & Debbie" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi
    >>> As far as the PCMCIA card goes, you plug it to the Laptop, load the
    >>> drivers, and configure the Wireless connection with its own utility or
    >>> Windows Wireless Zero Configuration.
    >>> The following links might help in doing the above.
    >>> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >>> Wireless, Basic Configuration -
    >>> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >>> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >>> As for the Linksys Music Bridge. I am not familiar with this device
    >>> per-se, however, in most cases devices like this need to be connected
    >>> first to a computer so that you can configure it to be compatible with
    >>> you
    >>> Router (like matching IP range and security) once it configured
    >>> correctly
    >>> on a computer it can be plugged to the Router.
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>

    >>Hi,
    >>Thanks for your response. I looked at the links you suggested. The
    >>problem
    >>is they sort of beat around the bush by saying because setup menus are so
    >>different between brands, you just have to follow the products
    >>instructions.
    >>I realize that there are differences in the user interfaces between the
    >>different products config setup software. I'm guessing that no matter how
    >>different these program interfaces may appear to be, they all require the
    >>same information in order to configure their product. It's a list of this
    >>information I would like to see. Also, whether the information can be set
    >>up automatically or it has to be set up manually. I think armed with such
    >>information, not matter how much a product's installation documentation
    >>seems to have been written by monkeys on drugs, a person could wade thru
    >>it.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for any help in the pursuit of "this holy grail".
    >>Bill

    > Bill,
    >
    > See if my overview documents are of any interest.
    > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/11/setting-up-wifi-lan.html>
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/11/setting-up-wifi-lan.html
    > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/setting-up-wifi-lan-please-protect.html>
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/setting-up-wifi-lan-please-protect.html
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck mvps org.

    Hi Chuck,
    I've only had time to read some of the links you suggested. I believe they
    have the type of information for which I'm looking (what information is
    needed and where you are most likely to find the information if you wish to
    set up/connect a router, pcmcia, bridge, etc wirelessly. Forget the brand
    and their software and documentation). I'll know more when I've read them
    all.
    Thank you very much for your help,
    Bill

    Bill & Debbie, Jun 19, 2007
  7. Bill & Debbie

    Chuck Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:07:12 -0400, "Bill & Debbie" <> wrote:

    >"Chuck" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:57:06 -0400, "Bill & Debbie" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> wrote in message

    >>>Hi,
    >>>Thanks for your response. I looked at the links you suggested. The
    >>>problem
    >>>is they sort of beat around the bush by saying because setup menus are so
    >>>different between brands, you just have to follow the products
    >>>instructions.
    >>>I realize that there are differences in the user interfaces between the
    >>>different products config setup software. I'm guessing that no matter how
    >>>different these program interfaces may appear to be, they all require the
    >>>same information in order to configure their product. It's a list of this
    >>>information I would like to see. Also, whether the information can be set
    >>>up automatically or it has to be set up manually. I think armed with such
    >>>information, not matter how much a product's installation documentation
    >>>seems to have been written by monkeys on drugs, a person could wade thru
    >>>it.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance for any help in the pursuit of "this holy grail".
    >>>Bill

    >> Bill,
    >>
    >> See if my overview documents are of any interest.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/11/setting-up-wifi-lan.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/11/setting-up-wifi-lan.html
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/setting-up-wifi-lan-please-protect.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/setting-up-wifi-lan-please-protect.html

    >Hi Chuck,
    >I've only had time to read some of the links you suggested. I believe they
    >have the type of information for which I'm looking (what information is
    >needed and where you are most likely to find the information if you wish to
    >set up/connect a router, pcmcia, bridge, etc wirelessly. Forget the brand
    >and their software and documentation). I'll know more when I've read them
    >all.
    >Thank you very much for your help,
    >Bill

    Ask more questions, Bill. It's a blog, and I update as questions are asked.
    And there are more articles too.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/networking-your-computers.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/networking-your-computers.html
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/02/set-of-simple-network-components.html#Wired>