    Much Appreciated.

    Anand

    , Feb 7, 2008

  2. wrote:
    >1. Is 1/555555th sec shutter speed a realistic speed ?

    No. That's about 2 microseconds. You would need a lens the size of a dinner
    plate or some _very_ bright light to get any meaningful exposure.

    >2. Does focal length of -50cm~infinity mean that the focal length can
    >be altered along this ?

    A 500mm-infinity zoom has not been invented yet. Any manufacturer would love
    to have a lens with unlimited magnification.

    Maybe you meant focus from 50cm to infinity? That would be quite typical.

    >3. Does interpolation degrade image quality ?

    Well, "interpolating" means the camera is inventing picture information
    where there has been none recorded before. If those invented pixels have
    anything to do with reality is everybodys guess. And it can be done after
    the fact on the computer, too, no need to clutter memory card with invented
    data.

    In other words: it's a ploy by the marketing department to fool uneducated
    buyers.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 7, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Feb 7, 1:15 pm, Jürgen Exner <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >1. Is 1/555555th sec shutter speed a realistic speed ?

    > No. That's about 2 microseconds. You would need a lens the size of a dinner
    > plate or some _very_ bright light to get any meaningful exposure.
    >
    > >2. Does focal length of -50cm~infinity mean that the focal length can
    > >be altered along this ?

    > A 500mm-infinity zoom has not been invented yet. Any manufacturer would love
    > to have a lens with unlimited magnification.
    >
    > Maybe you meant focus from 50cm to infinity? That would be quite typical.
    >
    > >3. Does interpolation degrade image quality ?

    > Well, "interpolating" means the camera is inventing picture information
    > where there has been none recorded before. If those invented pixels have
    > anything to do with reality is everybodys guess. And it can be done after
    > the fact on the computer, too, no need to clutter memory card with invented
    > data.
    >
    > In other words: it's a ploy by the marketing department to fool uneducated
    > buyers.
    >
    > jue

    Hi.

    Thanks for the reply. Im a complete beginner to photography, hence
    there are many areas where I stumble. :)
    I did mean focus from 50cm to infinity. Is there any way to control
    this focus ?
    Can you also tell me what a 5 glass lens means ?

    Sorry if im being a bother.

    Regards,

    Anand

    , Feb 7, 2008
  4. Paul Allen Guest

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 08:20:41 -0800 (PST)
    wrote:

    > [...]
    > I did mean focus from 50cm to infinity. Is there any way to control
    > this focus ?

    Most likely not. This is an ultra compact camera. The spec sheet I
    found by Googling doesn't mention a manual focus capability. It's
    a fixed focal length lens (no zoom at all) that can focus from 120cm
    to infinity. The specs don't mention auto focus, so it might be a
    fixed-focus camera.

    > Can you also tell me what a 5 glass lens means ?

    It could mean that the lens is made of five separate pieces of Coke
    bottle glass. For this camera, it's most likely marketing babble.

    You've purchased an extremely limited camera. This is your opportunity
    to demonstrate that great photographs are made by photographers rather
    than by their equipment.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Feb 7, 2008
  5. wrote:
    >Im a complete beginner to photography, hence
    >there are many areas where I stumble. :)
    >I did mean focus from 50cm to infinity. Is there any way to control
    >this focus ?

    The focus defines at which distance objects are "in focus" or appear sharp
    in the photo. Objects in front of and behind this distance become
    increasingly "unsharp" or blurry.
    Cameras have been using auto-focus for the past 20 years to set the focus
    distance automatically. Of course you can adjust or override this setting
    manually if e.g. the camera picked a the wrong object to focus on.
    Unfortunately many bottom-end cameras don't provide manual focus any longer,
    check the manual for your camera to see if and how you can focus manually.

    >Can you also tell me what a 5 glass lens means ?

    It is a lens (in the photographic meaning of lens) that consist of 5 lenses
    (in the optical meaning of lens). In other words: that thing in front of
    your camera is not a single piece of glass but consists of 5 pieces that are
    arranged to form the lens for the camera.

    High-end lenses may have 15 and more optical elements and use different
    materials for some lenses to conteract the unwanted optical effects that you
    get with a single element, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics)#Aberrations for some good
    illustrations.

    On the downside each element adds yet another two surfaces, where light rays
    are reflected and deflected and thus weakening the projected picture.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 7, 2008