    Acer Notebook?

    I shall be thankful for any suggestions
    Capt K Ripendran
    Capt K Ripendran, Feb 7, 2007

  2. Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 7, 2007

  3. Capt K Ripendran

    David Hettel Guest

    I'm sorry your question wasn't answered I believe. "Can I make the Black Box
    Router as an Access Point so as to avail the Printer port and USE the new
    D-Link Router for the 4 Desktops + Wireless Acer Notebook?" No. What you can
    do is turn the new D-link into an Access point for the Black Box Router, by
    following the instructions given. You'll need to disable both the DHCP
    server and the NAT in the D-link and assign the D-link a static IP address
    with in the IP address range the Black box is using.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Feb 7, 2007
  4. Hi
    It does not really matter the principle is the same.
    If the D-Link is a Better Router it can be used as the main Router and
    Wireless source, and the Black box can be used as a switch with a printer
    server, or vice versa, the D-Link as a Switch with an Access Point. The
    principle is exactly the same.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 7, 2007
  5. Capt K Ripendran

    David Hettel Guest

    I maybe wrong, and it may just be technical, but the question as I read it
    was can he use the Black Box as an access point, my understanding was the
    black box does not support wireless, ergo the black box can not be used as
    an access point. "Can I make the Black Box Router as an Access Point..."
    Also the Black Box which I am NOT familiar with supports a USB printer
    connection, that he is using. As such I believe it's much easier to disable
    the router and NAT on the D-Link box than on the Black Box. So from my
    perspective the Black Box does NOT have wireless capabilities, and it does
    have 2 USB printer ports, at least one of which is being used, I would
    prefer to disable the brains of the D-Link than the brains of the Black Box.
    Why run the risk of forcing him potentially to re-install the printers on
    his computers?

    David Hettel, Feb 7, 2007
  6. Gentlemen,
    Thank you both for ALL the input. I will first have a GO as
    follows:
    Modem to D-Link(as an Access Point) and to Black Box.

    NOW, my query is, what kind of cable do I use - Straight-through OR
    Cross-over?! I am currently using Cat 5e supplied by the ISP from Modem Wan
    to Black Box Wan port and
    Cat 5e Cross-over from 4 Lan Ports to 4 PC's.

    What should I get for connecting D-Link to Black Box? D-Link (as well as
    Black Box) has supplied a Cat 5e cable but I do NOT as to which type it is.

    By the way, if I disable the brains of the D-Link, will the Wireless part of
    it work?!

    Thanking you
    Capt K Ripendran

    Capt K Ripendran, Feb 8, 2007
  7. Capt K Ripendran

    David Hettel Guest

    I would suggest that you try the cable included with the D-Link. Yes the
    wireless will work with the Brains disabled, this is what Jack's
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html page shows you how to do. I'm not at all
    sure that disabling this in the Black Box will allow your printers to still
    function, that why I suggested doing it in the D-Link.

    David Hettel, Feb 8, 2007
  8. Dear David,
    Many thanks for the advise. I am NOT sure if I have
    understood Jack's article but, I have connected as under. I believe that in
    this case the Wireless Router (D-Link) is the Access Point and Wired Router
    (Black Box) with the USB Printer Ports is the main Router. I don't know if I
    have done it correctly but this is what I have done NOW and I would like
    your views as to whether it is correct or not!

    From ISP's Broadband Modem's WAN to Black Box Router's WAN.
    From Black Box 3 LAN's to 3 Desktops - 1 LAN to D-Link WAN !
    3 Desktops work + 1 Notebook works (Wireless -Excellent Signal Strength)

    But, I do NOT have a spare 1 LAN to go to my 4th Desktop!
    Where have I gone wrong?!

    Thanking you
    Capt K Ripendran

    Capt K Ripendran, Feb 12, 2007
  9. Capt K Ripendran

    David Hettel Guest

    If the d-link has had a static IP address assign to it (first) and the DHCP
    server and NAT is turn off in the d-link, then a cable from the Black Box
    LAN port to the D-link's LAN port (not the wan port) then plug the third
    computer into one of the D-link's other three LAN ports. Everything should
    be pulling an IP address from the Black Box but for the D-link itself. Does
    that help?

    On Jack's page http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html reread the part that
    starts" The process should be as follow:" on Jack's page substitute Black
    Box for "Main Router", and substitute D-Link for "second Router" or
    "Cable/DSL Router" or "Wireless Cable/DSL Router" or "Wireless Router" all
    four names are the same thing. Use LAN port for "Regular" port

    David Hettel, Feb 12, 2007
  10. Dear David,
    Many thanks for your clear set of instructions. I managed
    to get it going thru the LAN port of the D-Link Router. So, in effect and as
    shown in Jack's page, I NOW have 6 available wired ports. As to the Wireless
    capacity, I seem to have a problem. It is as under:

    The Black Box Broadband Router LR 6003A has an IP Address of 192.168.2.1.
    Obtaining the IP Address automatically thru DHCP Enabled, it gives the IP
    Address as 192.168.2.100.
    The DHCP Server Port shows
    Start IP 192.168.1.100
    End IP 192.168.1.200
    However, I reset the END IP as 192.168.1.150 - as suggested in Jack's page.

    The D-Link Wireless G Router WBR-1310 has an IP Address 192.168.0.1. I
    manually configured the IP Address to 192.168.0.200, turning off the DHCP
    and NAT as suggested in Jack's page. But, the web-based configuration
    utility has advised slightly differently from what Jack's page has described
    in setting up the Second Router(D-Link). It is given below:

    QUOTE
    If the router´s LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1, make your IP address
    192.168.0.X where X is a number between 2 and 99. Make sure that the number
    you choose is not in use on the network. Set Default Gateway the same as the
    LAN IP address of your router (192.168.0.1).
    UNQUOTE

    After manually configuring the D-Link Router to 192.168.0.200, the signal
    strength says it is Excellent but the Recd packets is ZERO! Consequently,
    Wireless connection does NOT access Internet.

    Have I gone wrong in the configuration of Internet, Network OR Wireless
    settings?
    Thanks in advance
    Capt K Ripendran

    Capt K Ripendran, Feb 20, 2007
  11. Dear David,

    Capt K Ripendran, Feb 21, 2007
  12. Capt K Ripendran

    David Hettel Guest

    Hi Capt Ripendran!
    OK if your Black box is at 192.168.2.1 and gives an IP address of
    192.168.2.100 then I believe the DHCP server ports show be showing
    Start IP 192.168.2.100
    End IP 192.168.2.200 <--Note the 2 which I take on your post was a typo?

    You said you reset the end IP to 192.168.1.150. Ok I'm hoping that is the
    same typo. What we need is every thing using the same value for the first
    three octets (the 192.168.2 value), so everything should use either
    192.168.2 or 192.168.1, you don't want to mix these values. Reading your
    post I see you've actually using three values here, you say you've
    configured the D-Link to 192.168.0.200 We need to get these all to one
    value, let's pick one at random say 192.168.2 and be sure everything is
    using only this value, for the first three groups ok? Now for the last three
    values every hardware device must have a different value, 000 and 255 are
    special and shouldn't be used, normally 001 is the gateway address, and
    would be the Black box in your setup. Personally I like to then use 002 as
    the secondary address ( the D-Link in your case) just because for me it's
    easier to remember. The key here is that it's outside the range the DHCP
    server is set to hand out (use), the actual value doesn't matter so much as
    long as it's not being used by something else. So using 192.168.2.xxx your
    setup would look like this;

    The Black Box Broadband Router LR 6003A has an IP Address of 192.168.2.1.
    The DHCP Server Port shows
    Start IP 192.168.2.100
    End IP 192.168.2.150
    The D-Link Wireless G Router WBR-1310 has an IP Address 192.168.2.2. you
    should manually configured the IP Address to 192.168.2.2, turning off the
    DHCP and NAT as suggested in Jack's page. There is a LAN cable (RJ-45)
    connecting one LAN port of the Black Box to one LAN port of the D-Link
    Wireless G Router WBR-1310 The WAN port on the D-Link is not used. You'll
    have 3 LAN ports on the Black Box and three LAN ports on the D-Link
    available. The WAN port on the Black Box is connected to your broadband
    connect (DSL/Cable) The two printers are connected by USB to the Black Box.

    The first device connected to your LAN (doesn't matter if it's connecting
    wired or wirelessly) would show values like these;

    IP Address 192.168.2.100
    Default Gateway 192.,168.2.1
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    DNS server 192.168.2.1