Query

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Capt K Ripendran, Apr 23, 2006.

  1. I have TWO PC's - one running XP Home and the other 98SE - networked using a
    Black Box Router and a Broadband Modem. I then bought a Notebook with XP
    Home which has Wi-Fi and had asked the ISP to replace the modem with one
    which also caters to Wi-Fi. They have provided me with a HUAWEI Wireless
    Modem. I have taken the supplied cable from the Modem to my Black Box
    Router's WAN Port. My Router has 4 Lan Ports and I have connected using
    cables to the TWO desktops (Compaq Presario's) and to the Notebook (Acer
    3003).
    ALL THREE were set to obtain the IP address automatically! All THREE work
    very well using the cable connection.

    I am just NOT able to connect using the Wireless for the Notebook! The
    Notebook shows the following Error msg if set to obtain IP address
    automatically:

    "This connection has limited or no connectivity."
    "You might not be able to access the Internet or some other network
    resources."

    Is it normal for Wireless NOT to obtain IP address automatically?
    If I manually configure the Modem's settings by accessing the Web-based
    configuration manager, then the TWO Desktop's do NOT work!

    I shall be thankful for suggestions.
    Capt K Ripendran
    Capt K Ripendran, Apr 23, 2006

  2. Capt K Ripendran

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    I do not know what is the actual type and Models of hardware that you use.
    So assuming that it is the regular Entry level Network devices that are sold
    in the USA.

    Your previous installation was comprised of Modem, to Router, to Computers.

    There is No Regular devices that are consumers Wireless Modems, the unit
    that you got from the ISP is probably a Combo Modem, Router, Wireless.

    I can not follow clearly how you connected the New hardware. But it might be
    that you created a double NAT (Routing) configuration. I.e. you currently
    use a configuration of: Modem, to Wireless Router (as part of the New
    "Modem"), to wired Router, to computers.

    The best solution was to leave every thing as it (I.e. using the Old ISP
    Modem only unit) and buy your own Access Point adding it to your “Black Box”
    Router.

    However given what you have Now. The Modem/Wireless has to be connected
    with a crossover cable to a regular port on the old wired Router.

    The old Wired Router WAN Port has to be left empty and the Router has to be
    used has Dumb Switch (this page explains how turn a Wireless Router or a
    Wired Router into a dumb Switch, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ).

    The IPs, DHCP, Wireless, and any other setting has to be done in the ISP's
    Modem/Wireless Combo (read the manual).

    Help with Wireless here, http://www.ezlan.net/#Wireless

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 23, 2006