Query: Sending Paradise E-mail via Telecom ADSL?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Our small office has no IT person, but I try and look after most
    computer issues.

    We have just installed Telecom's Secure Business Internet ADSL. We've
    always had a Paradise E-mail account and have kept the Paradise
    dial-up account as it's only $10 per month.

    We can download our incoming Paradise E-mail OK via the ADSL
    connection, but we can't send E-mail - we have have to dial up
    Paradise and send it the old way.

    I imagine there is some configuration change I need to make to our
    E-mail programme to allow the outgoing mail to go via the Telecom
    Broadband connection.

    I would appreciate any advice offered. Of course I guess I could
    contact Telecom, but the advice here is probably going to be more
    helpful.

    Regards, Chris

    Chris, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Chris

    Andy Lawson Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > Our small office has no IT person, but I try and look after most
    > computer issues.
    >
    > We have just installed Telecom's Secure Business Internet ADSL. We've
    > always had a Paradise E-mail account and have kept the Paradise
    > dial-up account as it's only $10 per month.
    >
    > We can download our incoming Paradise E-mail OK via the ADSL
    > connection, but we can't send E-mail - we have have to dial up
    > Paradise and send it the old way.
    >
    > I imagine there is some configuration change I need to make to our
    > E-mail programme to allow the outgoing mail to go via the Telecom
    > Broadband connection.
    >
    > I would appreciate any advice offered. Of course I guess I could
    > contact Telecom, but the advice here is probably going to be more
    > helpful.

    You'll probably find that you'll not be able to send email via Paradise
    unless your ADSL connection is with them i.e. the ADSL is tied to a Paradise
    account as opposed to an XTRA account.

    Most ISPs will not allow outgoing mail unless you are logged on to their
    network. There is one way around it, but since its webmail it can be rather
    time consuming.

    I'm guessing the new connection came with an ISP other than paradise.

    Andy Lawson, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Chris

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:40:04 +1300, Chris <> wrote:

    >Our small office has no IT person, but I try and look after most
    >computer issues.
    >
    >We have just installed Telecom's Secure Business Internet ADSL. We've
    >always had a Paradise E-mail account and have kept the Paradise
    >dial-up account as it's only $10 per month.
    >
    >We can download our incoming Paradise E-mail OK via the ADSL
    >connection, but we can't send E-mail - we have have to dial up
    >Paradise and send it the old way.
    >
    >I imagine there is some configuration change I need to make to our
    >E-mail programme to allow the outgoing mail to go via the Telecom
    >Broadband connection.
    >
    >I would appreciate any advice offered. Of course I guess I could
    >contact Telecom, but the advice here is probably going to be more
    >helpful.

    Configure it to receive via Paradise and send via Xtra. In other words
    use the Paradise pop address in the client but send to the xtra smtp
    server. I guess you are using OE? If so, you do it under "Tools" -->
    "Accounts".

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Chris

    Ali P Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > Our small office has no IT person, but I try and look after most
    > computer issues.
    >
    > We have just installed Telecom's Secure Business Internet ADSL. We've
    > always had a Paradise E-mail account and have kept the Paradise
    > dial-up account as it's only $10 per month.
    >
    > We can download our incoming Paradise E-mail OK via the ADSL
    > connection, but we can't send E-mail - we have have to dial up
    > Paradise and send it the old way.
    >
    > I imagine there is some configuration change I need to make to our
    > E-mail programme to allow the outgoing mail to go via the Telecom
    > Broadband connection.
    >
    > I would appreciate any advice offered. Of course I guess I could
    > contact Telecom, but the advice here is probably going to be more
    > helpful.
    >
    > Regards, Chris

    Who's the ISP you use for your ADSL? If its Xtra you'll have to use their
    SMTP server for outgoing mail but you can still use the POP3 paradise server
    for incoming email. You can still send your email out with your paradise
    email address as the return address though.
    What is your email program? If its Outlook you can go into mail setup, add
    smtp.xtra.co.nz as your outgoing server, select 'more settings' and then
    specify the login details for your Xtra account as the outgoing server
    authentication details.
    AFAIK Paradise don't allow access to thei SMTP server from outside ISPs to
    stop spam relaying.

    Ali P, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Chris

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:40:04 +1300, Chris <> wrote:

    >Our small office has no IT person, but I try and look after most
    >computer issues.
    >
    >We have just installed Telecom's Secure Business Internet ADSL. We've
    >always had a Paradise E-mail account and have kept the Paradise
    >dial-up account as it's only $10 per month.
    >
    >We can download our incoming Paradise E-mail OK via the ADSL
    >connection, but we can't send E-mail - we have have to dial up
    >Paradise and send it the old way.
    >
    >I imagine there is some configuration change I need to make to our
    >E-mail programme to allow the outgoing mail to go via the Telecom
    >Broadband connection.
    >
    >I would appreciate any advice offered. Of course I guess I could
    >contact Telecom, but the advice here is probably going to be more
    >helpful.

    Who are you using as your ISP for the ADSL connection? Paradise or
    Xtra? Sending mail is blocked like that to stop people using them to
    send junk email.

    Sometimes mail servers are set up so that if you check your mail
    first, then send email it lets you (i.e. it uses the checking email
    with your password to verify who you are, which then lets you send
    email).

    Craig Shore, Dec 9, 2003
  6. Chris

    Roger Ramjet Guest

    You need to specify the smtp server of your connection provider ie. if
    Telecom is your connection provider have smtp.xtra.co.nz for smtp
    server and pop3.paradise.net.nz for incoming server. Try it - it will
    work.

    Roger Ramjet, Dec 10, 2003
  7. Chris

    ufo_hk Guest

    You might want to try installing your own SMTP server to by pass the ISPs
    SMTP server. A free easy one to use and setup is:
    http://www.postcastserver.com/

    ufo_hk, Dec 10, 2003