    configured the CIR of 1.5 Mbps for me ? Is there a 'show' command that
    tells you the CIR of your frame relay PVC ?

    Any help will be much appreciated.
    Sparky, May 11, 2005

  2. Sparky

    Jonathan Guest

    "Sparky" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a frame relay link driven by a Cisco 2620 router. I am paying
    > the carrier company for a CIR of 1.5 Mbps. Most of the times I find the
    > link to be slow, however on the router console, I do not see traffic
    > crossing about 500 kbps. How do I know whether the carrier has really
    > configured the CIR of 1.5 Mbps for me ? Is there a 'show' command that
    > tells you the CIR of your frame relay PVC ?
    >
    > Any help will be much appreciated.

    Show frame pvc

    Are you seeing BECNs, how about DE packets?

    Call your carrier, ask them to confirm the PVC settings... tell them you
    want to put a big ping and see if they are seeing discards or DE frames.

    In all likelihood, there is a FRATM that is configured incorrectly in their
    network (especially if it is going thru Wiltel)

    Jonathan
    Jonathan, May 11, 2005

  3. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    I do not see any BECNs. That's exactly what puzzled me.
    No DEs either.

    I am certainly going to escalate this to the carrier; just thought of
    doing my own investigations first.

    Thanks for the help.

    Sparky
    Sparky, May 12, 2005
  4. Jonathan,

    Should it be transparent or translated ?

    X--Eliminator, May 12, 2005
  5. Sparky

    Jonathan Guest

    "X--Eliminator" <> wrote in message
    > Jonathan,
    >
    > Should it be transparent or translated ?

    Frame to ATM to Frame should be translated.

    ATM to ATM should be transparent.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan, May 13, 2005
  6. Sparky

    Jonathan Guest

    "Sparky" <> wrote in message
    >I do not see any BECNs. That's exactly what puzzled me.
    > No DEs either.

    Since your CIR equals your access rate, you really don't need to do any
    traffic shaping, so...

    Ask your carrier if they are seeing red or amber frames (if their switches
    are Lucent) and ask them if graceful discard is on or off... any of this
    would indicate they are choking you off.

    Also have them pull the PM stats for the switch. Do the same on your router
    (show service-module serial 0/0)....

    Also ask them if they are taking overhead into account. ATM needs about 20%
    overhead for the PVC, so a T1 should be set to a PCR of about 4500 cells per
    second.

    > I am certainly going to escalate this to the carrier; just thought of
    > doing my own investigations first.

    You don't need to escalate, you need to get an engineer who knows what the
    switches are doing. Any tier I engineer at your telco should be able to help
    you.

    Then again, that may be the problem. Are you calling your telco or are you
    calling your data support group at telco? Cuz those old telco guys have no
    idea what is going on beyond the HDSL span (a ckt with just LMI going back
    and forth looks the same to them as a fully loaded DS1).

    Who is your carrier?

    Jonathan
    Jonathan, May 13, 2005